U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 AM

5,467 posts, read 3,640,321 times

Advertisements

Its tax time and once again I am angry. Worked hard and only to pay the government more. Don't' get me wrong, I understand that we need to pay to run this country but can I keep some of my hard earned money myself???

I feel like I work just to pay for frivolous spending, people on welfare who only teach their kids how to milk the system and have no intention of getting off.

Me and my husband have a joke. If we need something we say, Dear Obama, can you leave me something??

Last edited by eRayP; 04-05-2012 at 01:56 AM..

Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM

5,640 posts, read 16,939,929 times
Agreed. At what point do people just stop caring say scr*w it and go on the dole? That is depression...

I think that most people (like polls suggest) just have NO faith in politicians of either side to fix this situation... they are all beholden to the special interest and the multi national corporations. And then for the politicians to have the gall to say that we are not paying enough?! Who spent us into this debt-disaster, that most voters would not have approved of any of those expeditures?! Mainly I feel personal anger, and our state is so messed up with NO hope of ever getting it straight in my lifetime anyway - have written to our government. does not matter, they are interested in only buying votes...

Old 04-05-2012, 10:15 AM

3,706 posts, read 3,032,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Its tax time and once again I am angry. Worked hard and only to pay the government more. Don't' get me wrong, I understand that we need to pay to run this country but can I keep some of my hard earned money myself???

I feel like I work just to pay for frivolous spending, people on welfare who only teach their kids how to milk the system and have no intention of getting off.

Me and my husband have a joke. If we need something we say, Dear Obama, can you leave me something??
Here again the political view is skewered by partisan bias and a shortsighted understanding of how things work. Taxes are created by Obama? I thought taxes have always been reflective of the cost of running government. "Can I keep some of my hard earned money myself "? What? You are paying 100% of your earnings? Welfare? are you talking about the BIG welfare queens like Cargill, GM, ADM, Boeing, Lockheed Martin? Or the poor slobs who thinks an outing at Walmart is entertaining.

Read the facts of our tax structure, read the history of our lopsided government that has been ran by corporations since the early days of the republic, read the labor history that shows the attempt by big corpa to minimize the workforce while expanding their bottom line. Long before Obama we had bad government, don't be fooled by those who think the "other" party has anything to offer you. Republicans and Democrats are in the pocket of the rich ruling class, their theatrical show of difference is simply a show, that's why nothing ever changes for the likes of me and you....

Old 04-05-2012, 03:14 PM

2,161 posts, read 1,608,606 times
I get depressed when I imagine living in the 19th century and not having to pay taxes for things like.... oh.... clean water, decent infrastructure, a national defense that consists of more than half a dozen wind-powered frigates, standards for physicians, fire departments, hospitals, comprehensive K-12 education, and so forth.

I live in the United States. I understand that even as part of the middle of the middle-class, I make more money (even after taxes) than 95% of the people in the world now, and 99% of the people who have ever lived.

All things in perspective, my glass isn't just full, it's overflowing. But I guess that's just me.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:14 PM

8,316 posts, read 8,596,327 times
Quote:
Agreed. At what point do people just stop caring say scr*w it and go on the dole? That is depression...

I think that most people (like polls suggest) just have NO faith in politicians of either side to fix this situation... they are all beholden to the special interest and the multi national corporations. And then for the politicians to have the gall to say that we are not paying enough?! Who spent us into this debt-disaster, that most voters would not have approved of any of those expeditures?! Mainly I feel personal anger, and our state is so messed up with NO hope of ever getting it straight in my lifetime anyway - have written to our government. does not matter, they are interested in only buying votes...
TANF? I've got news for you. You can't just "go on the dole". Remember "welfare reform"? That occurred about 15 years ago under Clinton. Since its occurrence, welfare rolls have been dramatically trimmed. If you want on TANF (temporary assistance for needy families) you better not be an able-bodied man or woman who is just tired of working. You might want that to "fly", but it won't.

Unemployment compensation? You better actually be laid off and not fired for cause from your job. You better not have quit because you don't like the work. Most unemployment compensation statutes won't allow you to claim benefits unless you are actually laid off. Don't plan on making a lifetime career of collecting these benefits either. The duration of benefits is long, but one or two years isn't a lifetime. There'll come a time when they end and when they do you better have another source of income.

Social Security disability? There are a lot of people on it. But medical documentation of a serious health problem that impedes you from working is the most critical element. Will doctors support you if you make this claim? Remember, you get no disability benefits by law until one year has gone by since the date the disability began.

Look, I'm not without sympathy for you. I'm self-employed and have been for about the last 25 years. Its a pain to go to work when you don't feel well (I don't right now as a matter of fact). Its irritating to see people out there that you think are "gaming the system". My tax bill is very large.

But, please think about a few things:

1. Stop blaming President Obama for every problem in the country. High taxes existed long before he became President and they have not gone up during his administration. He is no more responsible for that than he is for tornadoes going on in the Midwest.

2. Realize that tax rates were much higher than they are now from 1945 to 1970. Even with deductions, tax rates were effectively much higher than they are now.

3. Realize some people out there actually do need the assistance of their government to get through their life. There are many sick, disabled, unemployed (do to no fault of their own) and elderly people out there.

4. Realize income tax rates in Europe are much higher than they are in this country as well.

Its easy to forget we live in a prosperous country that is the envy of much of the world. Life isn't always fair, but there are usually reasons why things work the way they do.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:36 PM

hey if you are happy in your taxed to death world more power to you. Enough tax is enough, stop spending, stop devaluating the dollar and balance the budget just like they expect every working American to do but will not do it themselves. And by the way, with the devalued dollar and after taxes, you may have the same dollar but it will not be worth half as much.

Why should they, they will just raise taxes until the well has run dry and we are a 3rd world country.

Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 PM

And ps, don't worry, just have a litter and they will deem you incapable of working and you can be on the system.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:29 PM

2,212 posts, read 6,178,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
hey if you are happy in your taxed to death world more power to you. Enough tax is enough, stop spending, stop devaluating the dollar and balance the budget just like they expect every working American to do but will not do it themselves. And by the way, with the devalued dollar and after taxes, you may have the same dollar but it will not be worth half as much.

Why should they, they will just raise taxes until the well has run dry and we are a 3rd world country.
Don't worry, the multinational corporations that don't pay taxes, move jobs overseas and line the pockets of most of our politicians are going to turn us into a third world country well before someone who got laid off will.

But I'm sure that doesn't fit well into the little whine and I'm sure you never utilize the roads paid with taxes, or access services paid for with taxes, or drink water paid for with taxes, or require police or security paid for with taxes, or were grateful for the military. I guess you don't work for one of the companies that relies on government contracts, paid for with taxes or go to a school paid for with other peoples taxes.

Sure you don't live in one of the states that gets more from the Fed than puts in (generally Southern states)? Have your own business? What do your customers do - are they government employees paying for your services with salaries paid for with taxes?????

Here's the challenge. Tell us exactly what you do, where you live and how you live daily and PROVE that you only pay into the system and don't benefit a dime. You've stated your case, now back it up.

Old 04-05-2012, 09:27 PM

4,464 posts, read 9,643,842 times
This is not a Great Debate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates