Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 07:06 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,949,724 times

Advertisements

Nearly two years later, my mind hasn't changed. I would still prefer to live in a blue state.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:19 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Blue....Far less crazy people.
Nope. There are just as many crazy people, but its a different kind of crazy.

Blue state for me too.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:00 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
Blue here. And I happened to live in the reddest county of the bluest state.

Cat

Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 PM

1,878 posts, read 2,027,603 times
It depends. I'd sure take Colorado over New Jersey. Wait, CO went blue this election, didn't it? Less solidly so, though.

Sometimes I think I'd rather live in a redder area so I have more people to debate politics/religion with. These days, that ends up happening in places like City Data.

But in general it's nice in a blue area. Being more open-minded toward gays means being more open-minded toward others who don't "fit the mold," which certainly includes myself.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:47 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,620,914 times
It depends...I am conservative but grew up in Colorado..I don't mind being in a blue state. .but it's too blue now.
I'm thinking of moving once I finish school. ..Texas or Idaho...I just want a good paying job

Old 03-21-2014, 06:50 PM

7,474 posts, read 7,034,396 times
The economic realities aren't too kind to the red states:

List of U.S. states by poverty rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even life expectancy is not in their favor:

List of U.S. states by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for overall happiness, the 2 biggest negative factors seem to be "being a deep red state" and "being a cold northern state in the Rust Belt."

The Happiest States In America In One Map (INFOGRAPHIC)

So, just some data to mull over.

Old 03-23-2014, 11:49 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,511,066 times
Good points, Rambler123!

Old 03-23-2014, 06:28 PM

684 posts, read 869,261 times
I'm all for living where people believe in personal responsibility, and I also strongly favor not living in a high tax state. Net, color me a red state person.

Old 03-23-2014, 06:53 PM

2,744 posts, read 4,234,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garthur View Post
Blue states are good for drugs, crime, corruption, graf, gangs, higher insurance rates, high power rates, higher property taxes, more traffic, more people, bankrupt state governments, bankrupt city governments, politicians in jail, people that say they care but don't, lack of morals, should I go on??

I'll stay here in my red state!!

Really? "graf"? Did you learn that word in your red state?

Red states have high moral standards and values. Including, concern for the poor, women's rights, the value of education, sensible gun control, cities that count with art and history, world class colleges and universities, tolerance for people with a variety of political beliefs, acceptance of Gay people, birth control and delaying parenthood until marriage and adulthood, people who do not need as much governmental assistance (all that good education and access to birth control seems to work) less hunting, and a less punitive society.

BLUE STATE! But I live in a tolerable purple state now. Red state.? NEVER!

Old 03-24-2014, 01:24 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,504,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler123 View Post
The economic realities aren't too kind to the red states:

List of U.S. states by poverty rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even life expectancy is not in their favor:

List of U.S. states by life expectancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for overall happiness, the 2 biggest negative factors seem to be "being a deep red state" and "being a cold northern state in the Rust Belt."

The Happiest States In America In One Map (INFOGRAPHIC)

So, just some data to mull over.
On the poverty wiki article, I don't think you clicked on the tab that would adjust poverty levels for cost of living. After doing that, the outcome is a little different.

I also don't know how much stock I would put into a happiness study based on the number of tweets that contained happy words. Seems like a bit of a stretch. Other studies find that red states are happier. See Happiest States in America Are Southern Red States - Yahoo Voices - voices.yahoo.com

I would prefer to live in a place with blue social value, but red economic constraint. Almost all of the cities going bankrupt are from Blue states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates