Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 05:38 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Probably with the assumption that they had no children by choice. Having kids is brutal. I have four girls under 13 and I am aging at the rate of pi years per year. I sometimes day dream about what it would be like if my wife and I were DINKS. No stress, lots of disposable money, lots of disposable time.
Life isn't always about money and "disposable" income. I don't have kids and I planned it that way... it isn't so much about the money, but for me it was about simplicity. I didn't necessarily want the responsibility of children.

I can imagine how tough it on parents at times... I feel for them at times.

They also have that connection with their children, something that I will never truly know.

I still think my decision was right for me... I see far far too many people that had kids when they really shouldn't have....... like some accessory to make an outfit complete....

Last edited by Chowhound; 05-27-2012 at 06:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 08:09 PM

369 posts, read 772,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
This particular debate stems from Copius hours on the Range. Admittingly shock at the Consenus.

What are your thoughts?

I would have to say why is there a debate? In the end ones happiness is decided only by the person in the mirror. It shouldn't matter to a childfree person how happy a parent is or to a parent how happy a childfree person is.
Debates and surveys that spark them are there for the purpose of selling ad space in the media.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:44 PM

52,233 posts, read 52,655,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post

Sadly, one can't rely on "one's own spawn" to visit one in the old folks' home. There are plenty of abandoned old folks.
I had a co-worker a few yrs ago ask me why I didn't want kids, I listed my reasons.

He then says to me, "Who's gonna take care you when you are old."

That was the first thing out of his mouth about having kids.... not all the usual platitudes about them being a joy... etc etc.

I found that to be alarming and sad that some people think that way.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:35 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,913,566 times
You are all silly.
Different strokes for different folks.
If you don't want children, don't have them. Ignore the ignorant people
who make stupid comments to you about it, the world's full of them anyway.
If you want to have children, have children.
Being happy is relative, really.
SOmetimes in life you are happy, sometimes in life you aren't, regardless
of wether or not you have children.
All y'll have a great weekend.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:56 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
I'm not sure why some people are so worried about whether other people have children or not.

My wife & I have children that are all grown & married. We started young & got them all raised, and on their own, before we were 50. They're all doing splendidly. I have absolutely no regrets, and wouldn't want it any other way.

The only advice (demand?) I have of anybody else, is that if you're not going to support your children - and by that, I mean not have them on the public dole - DON'T have kids.

Old 05-30-2012, 09:12 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,369,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
I'm willing to beat a 50\50 (half would choose the wife,while the other half the children) split on this one. I believe children come with more stressors then expected. I would never suggest producing children before 30; wishful thinking I suppose.
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree - completely and totally.

I'd strongly suggest that no couple wait until their in their 30s to have kids.

I do a lot of work with families. I know a lot of couples who had their kids young, loved and raised them, and did a fantastic job of launching them out into the world.

I've also known a lot of couples who were in their 30s when they had their first child. It absolutely rocked their world, because they had spent so many years living for nobody but themselves. Most of them had a VERY hard time adjusting to the demands of parenting.

Even so, whether young or old, the needs of children and the demands of parenting are still the same.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:55 AM

14,772 posts, read 8,103,690 times
I think it depends on the people.
I am sure couples without children are probably less stressed.
Some are happier, some are not.
But looking back, I think becoming a Mother was one of the greatest moments in my life,
and although it brought pain, tears and sacrifice at times, nothing has made me feel more fulfilled
or happier...my husband says pretty much the same thing.
I am so glad that we did chose to have a family.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:14 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,344 times
Certainly depends on the person. I don't have kids, but after getting my dog, I think I would enjoy them. My dog can be a pain in the ass when she needs to go out at 6am even if I had a late night, her constant need for going to the dog park, being a mischievous puppy, etc, but I'll say without a doubt, I'm happier with her in my life, despite the extra tasks she brings to the table. I find a ton of joy, happiness, and being proud of her, and I think kids would be the same.

I certainly could have saved my money and time to spend on myself, my car, dinners, and other material things that I thought made me happy, but I realize that isn't it. I can't truly love those objects like I can love another living thing that loves me back just as much.

It's all preference, what do you truly love, inanimate things or living things?

Old 05-30-2012, 01:02 PM

265 posts, read 597,404 times
Having children to "complete" you is as dumb as marrying to "complete yourself."

The decision on whether to have kids is a personal one - based on your feelings, emotions, job security at the time and finances, plus religion for some people.

I have two girls and would not trade the experience for ANYTHING. Is it frustrating at times? Yes. Stressful? Yes. But it is also rewarding, fulfilling and fills me with joy on a daily basis.

I don't fault those who don't have kids.... to each his (or her) own.

Last, having kids so someone will take care of you is dumb and selfish. If not having kids saves so much money, put some away and hire an aide when you get old. Don't have a kid just to have a caretaker when you're old!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:32 AM

3,756 posts, read 9,552,564 times
I agree with some of Ulysess61 post. I am an older Mom and we had my daughter when I was 40. I have NO Regrets and indeed happy with one. Never wanted more than one. I find it is the parents that are younger that allow their children to get away with everything and this bit about young adults never working, I see it every day and I think it is disgusting. They don't even lift a finger to help with the yard or chores. I am happy with one child, she is the joy of my life. I am a stay at home Mom and able to spend time with her. No regrets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates