Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 01:17 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,367,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
Science is not magic, as it has a thing called the scientific method to make sure that any hypothesis is actually tested and proven.

Try reading about the Hadron Collider and you can see how we've been able to mimic creation.

Believing in the bible because you think science is "magic" is truly as illogical as it gets. "I don't believe in science which has been tested by the smartest people the world has ever known...but I believe in silly fairy tales about how a single man was able to put ~5,000,000 species of animals onto a single wooden ship, feed and take care of them, and survive for 40 days without a single one of the animals dying."
And you believe in the religion of evolution, even though a person of average intelligence would KNOW that there would have to be literally BILLIONS of fossils of transitional life forms, in order for it to be credible. Billions. Instead, we have a few fabricated fairy tales like The Nebraska Man.

Genius indeed.

Rather than being a religious zealot, why not just admit that you don't know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2012, 01:30 PM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
And you believe in the religion of evolution, even though a person of average intelligence would KNOW that there would have to be literally BILLIONS of fossils of transitional life forms, in order for it to be credible. Billions. Instead, we have a few fabricated fairy tales like The Nebraska Man.

Genius indeed.

Rather than being a religious zealot, why not just admit that you don't know?
We do have many fossils, but you have to realize that fossilization is a relatively rare occurrance. It only occurs in certain conditions that were not present everywhere. Most organisms when they died simply decomposed into the soil like they do today. Where in the world did you hear that there would necessarily be so many fossils of transitional organisms? I would like to see what evidence they have to support that theory.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
We do have many fossils, but you have to realize that fossilization is a relatively rare occurrance. It only occurs in certain conditions that were not present everywhere. Most organisms when they died simply decomposed into the soil like they do today. Where in the world did you hear that there would necessarily be so many fossils of transitional organisms? I would like to see what evidence they have to support that theory.
I'm fully aware of the rarity of fossilization. But we're talking about hundreds of billions of fossils that SHOULD be out there, if the religion of evolution is to be taken seriously. There has to be some evidence, somewhere, of these billions of transitional life forms. Without them, I could just as well hold up a bottle of Rum in one hand, and a corn snake in the other, and say, "The Rum evolved into the snake over several hundred billion years. I have no evidence of that, no fossils, and no proof that it happened, but trust me it did. Really."

It's hard to build a case, when you lack the evidence.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:42 PM

Quote:
I'm fully aware of the rarity of fossilization. But we're talking about hundreds of billions of fossils that SHOULD be out there, if the religion of evolution is to be taken seriously. There has to be some evidence, somewhere, of these billions of transitional life forms. Without them, I could just as well hold up a bottle of Rum in one hand, and a corn snake in the other, and say, "The Rum evolved into the snake over several hundred billion years. I have no evidence of that, no fossils, and no proof that it happened, but trust me it did. Really."

It's hard to build a case, when you lack the evidence.
Well, they know things like the rate at which genes tend to mutate, and they know this through scientific observation. There are certain genes that are shared by different species and they can use these genes, combined with their knowledge of the rate of genetic mutation, to measure how far apart they drifted apart on the evolutionary ladder. You calling evolution a religion, and making the assertions that you have (that the theory evolution is equivalent to making some random made up claim) just show your ignorance of science, and the knowledge that scientists have accumulated through difficult and rigorous research over the past several hundred years. Instead of willfully ignoring it (the easy route), try doing the difficult work of actually trying to understand it.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Well, they know things like the rate at which genes tend to mutate, and they know this through scientific observation. There are certain genes that are shared by different species and they can use these genes, combined with their knowledge of the rate of genetic mutation, to measure how far apart they drifted apart on the evolutionary ladder. You calling evolution a religion, and making the assertions that you have (that the theory evolution is equivalent to making some random made up claim) just show your ignorance of science, and the knowledge that scientists have accumulated through difficult and rigorous research over the past several hundred years. Instead of willfully ignoring it (the easy route), try doing the difficult work of actually trying to understand it.
My "ignorance of science"? Hahaha - that has NOTHING to do with it! I'm pointing out some obvious flaws in logic, reasoning, and thinking. And I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of naturalistic evolutionists who mock creationists for doing the EXACT same things they do.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
My "ignorance of science"? Hahaha - that has NOTHING to do with it! I'm pointing out some obvious flaws in logic, reasoning, and thinking. And I'm pointing out the hypocrisy of naturalistic evolutionists who mock creationists for doing the EXACT same things they do.
What flaws in logic? The scientists base their arguments on research and tests, not wild hypotheses. Evolution has been carefully studied since Darwin, and scientists have universally come to the conclusion that, not only is it real, but that it is predictable, that theories pan out in facts. When 2 species are very different from each other (say a protozoa and a whale), guess what, the number of mutations in these tracer genes are larger. Again, we can observe the rate at which mutations happen, so it makes perfect sense that the further back these species split, the larger the number of mutations, and we can actually use these genes to determine approximately how far back the two split. It seems to me you're afraid of evolution and the implications it might bring for your particular version of Christianity. In the middle ages, you would have been in the same camp of people that denied the Earth revolved around the sun when Copernicus determined that to be the case. Christianity didn't die when we found out we weren't the center of the universe, and it won't die out if people accept evolution as real. The principles of christianity are far more important than these trite arguments about whether the bible is literal or not.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
What flaws in logic? The scientists base their arguments on research and tests, not wild hypotheses. Evolution has been carefully studied since Darwin, and scientists have universally come to the conclusion that, not only is it real, but that it is predictable, that theories pan out in facts. When 2 species are very different from each other (say a protozoa and a whale), guess what, the number of mutations in these tracer genes are larger. Again, we can observe the rate at which mutations happen, so it makes perfect sense that the further back these species split, the larger the number of mutations, and we can actually use these genes to determine approximately how far back the two split. It seems to me you're afraid of evolution and the implications it might bring for your particular version of Christianity. In the middle ages, you would have been in the same camp of people that denied the Earth revolved around the sun when Copernicus determined that to be the case. Christianity didn't die when we found out we weren't the center of the universe, and it won't die out if people accept evolution as real. The principles of christianity are far more important than these trite arguments about whether the bible is literal or not.
You ASSume many things. I'm merely pointing out the silliness of taking everything about evolution seriously, yet mocking everything of the creation myth. Both are religious in nature, and require faith. Denying that proves that you actually suffer from a cult mindset.

And hence, we have come full circle. You have betrayed the real reason you started this thread in the first place - which is simply to mock a religion.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:21 PM

Quote:
You ASSume many things. I'm merely pointing out the silliness of taking everything about evolution seriously, yet mocking everything of the creation myth. Both are religious in nature, and require faith. Denying that proves that you actually suffer from a cult mindset.

And hence, we have come full circle. You have betrayed the real reason you started this thread in the first place - which is simply to mock a religion.
There is a difference between "faith" and "justified belief". Faith, by it's very nature, lacks justification, it is belief in lieu of justification. I don't trust that these types of beliefs are generally an accurate reflection of reality. Instead, I believe things that are justified by evidence, and have held up to the scrutiny of others who tried to prove them wrong. You yourself call the creation story a "myth" so it seems that you admit that it may not be based in reality.

Old 09-07-2012, 05:53 AM

Quote:
There is a difference between "faith" and "justified belief". Faith, by it's very nature, lacks justification, it is belief in lieu of justification. I don't trust that these types of beliefs are generally an accurate reflection of reality. Instead, I believe things that are justified by evidence, and have held up to the scrutiny of others who tried to prove them wrong. You yourself call the creation story a "myth" so it seems that you admit that it may not be based in reality.
The Creation Myth (as it is commonly called) and The Religion of Evolution (as it is accurately called) are both theories of origins.

Keep preaching.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:18 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
No, its been destroyed by Biblical illiteracy and corruption in the hands of evil men and women, otherwise known as TV evangelists, or revival preachers. The Bible has been wildly abused and used to manipulate and control, not at all its intended use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates