U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 12:18 PM

407 posts, read 678,556 times

Advertisements

Do you believe that violent movies and violent music create and are the cause of violent children, or do you think they were already violent to start with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2012, 12:49 PM

668 posts, read 424,794 times
There is the saying that goes like this:

Inside of every person are two dogs; a good dog and a bad dog that are constantly fighting. Which dog wins depends on which one you feed the most.

Last edited by TNEC_Dad; 08-20-2012 at 01:06 PM..

Old 08-20-2012, 05:53 PM

13,875 posts, read 12,633,083 times
I'd say that violence is a natural reaction for many people, but that media can reinforce (or diminish) a person's violent tendencies.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:00 PM

410 posts, read 1,361,733 times
The first movie I ever saw was a blood and guts horror movie. My parents never thought twice about ratings or filtering what I saw, heard, or learned. I am not violent. I think someone who commits acts of violence has a problem with conscience, empathy, and impulse control.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:24 PM

5,767 posts, read 10,301,282 times
Violent media is prevalent around the world. And yet, crime rates and rates of violence around the world vary greatly. Not only that, but crime rates in developed countries have generally been on a downswing for a couple decades now. From those facts alone, it would be tough to draw any kind of direct relationship between violent media and violence in general.

How would you explain the experience of Japan, where some very violent video games and anime series have been popular in recent years, and yet where the murder rate is minuscule, and has actually been in decline?

Even if you could somehow show a link between media and violence, you'd have to conclude that the effect was so weak that it was absolutely overwhelmed by any number of other factors.

Old 08-20-2012, 06:26 PM

399 posts, read 603,236 times
I think it all has to do with a nature vs nurture. Each person is different. If a child see's a violent movie then starts to act up violently when young, I would tend to keep them away from such entertainment. Whereas other children can watch it and it doesn't fizz on them. So each person/child is different there can be NO set hard rule to this question!

Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,474,244 times
I don't buy this at all. Whether a person will be violent depends on a lot of different factors, but movies and games are not one of them, or at most play a miniscule role IF a child has those tendencies to begin with. I believe it's both nature AND nurture, but the nurture in this case refers to the child's upbringing and overall environment, not what he watches on TV. If you look at violent kids, there is usually very clear dysfunction within the family, how they were raised, peer environment, etc - be it abuse, neglect, poverty, lack of education, living in a rough neighbourhood, and so on; either that, or some sort of personality or mental deviation. I just don't see a psychologically healthy kid, raised in a loving caring environment where he is engaged, taught, talked and listened to, turning into a maniac after watching a violent movie. Doesn't happen. On the other hand, some of the most chilling accounts of child cruelty I heard from my dad talking about kids in his childhood - he grew up in a rural village in the former USSR where no TVs existed. The kids on his street stoned an injured little bird to death! Didn't have any movies or games to learn that from

Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 PM

12,715 posts, read 11,605,898 times
I think that in the absence of decent parental guidance, violence in media can contribute to the problem. But if parents don't teach normal decency and empathy, good luck getting them to pay attention to media ratings...

Also, whether violence is shown is not nearly as importance as how it is shown. I'd rather have my kids watch The Passion of the Christ than a gung-ho war movie, even if the latter was not explicit at all.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:59 PM

416 posts, read 552,736 times
I think violence in media can numb people to it, but I don't believe that it contributes to violence.

Old 08-21-2012, 08:26 PM

11,256 posts, read 43,395,315 times
I have a substantial group of neighbors that are all members of a religion that forbids them to listen to the radio, use the internet, or play any of the electronic games. The only music they listen to is their own religious music, and they never listen to the news reports. Access to a radio for weather forecasts is by only a few top members of the leadership.

I'll also note that they all have large families and spend a lot of time with their children, so these are kids that from their early years are taught how to behave in a socially acceptable manner. They send them to their own church based school for K-12 education.

I've now watched about 100 of their children grow up to be some of the hardest working, calmest, most even-tempered, teenagers and young adults I've ever seen. I'm not saying that they are without having difficulties and anger at events in their lives, but they appear to be very rational and capable at dealing with whatever comes their way ... and I've seen these consistent strong traits well developed in children as young as 8 years old.

As a group, their young men volunteer their time to community service withou seeking any compensation. They also are among the first responders to disasters; sometimes, local tornados or floods, sometimes, they go overseas to assist others. It's a given for them, they don't give it a second thought, they just do it.

Does the absence of continuous exposure to violence play a factor in this behavior pattern? it's not the only factor, but it's a very significant one ....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or