U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 10:42 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,482,456 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound arrogant at all, but this long dreadlocks stuff is just not presentable at all. We are in the 21st Century, yet want to walk around will hair from the caveman age and hair that comes pass the shoulder, it's just not presentable at all.
Everybody has a right to cut their hair, the way they want, yet I wouldn't that same person to get mad when he gets turn down the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,516,314 times
The thing with corporate culture vs. self-expression is, there are ways to work around corporate culture while maintaining your own personal style.

I have tattoos and I used to work in the financial field, where tattoos were a no no. So you wear opaque pantyhose to cover up the leg tatts, avoid low-cut shirts so you don't expose the tatts on your collarbones, and for goodness sake don't get tatts somewhere where you can't cover them up.

There are plenty of jobs out there for people who would prefer to wear their hair green and spiky and have multiple facial piercings. It's a choice they make. If they are willing put their need to get a neck tatt above their need to work in a certain field, that's their prerogative; equally, it is a company's prerogative not to hire someone based on appearance if that person doesn't look like they'd be able to uphold the company image or follow dress code.

Would you hire an obese person to be a weight loss counselor? No, because it wouldn't be appropriate for that job. A company's employees, particularly those who are in the public eye, are just as much the company's image as its logo, branding, etc.

That being said, I do not consider dreadlocks an extreme hairstyle by any means and I know few hiring managers who would turn down an applicant with clean, neatly-kept dreads. It's a personal style, just like a perm or a shaved head. Most employee manuals tend to have dress codes against extreme hairstyles. Mohawks, liberty spikes and outrageously colored hair comes to mind. Dreadlocks, when kept neat, look just as professional as any other regular hairstyle, and I'm actually surprised that people find them so shocking and out of the ordinary.

And this nonsense about how "Ew, dreadlocks are dirty and unwashed." is just silly, and shows that the person posting these sentiments didn't read the entire thread. A few posters have pointed out, complete with images, examples of professional dreadlocks. One poster even described that dreadlocks won't hold in unwashed hair. Why bother posting on a thread if you aren't going to read it all?

Last edited by MatildaLoo; 09-04-2012 at 11:39 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 09-05-2012, 08:36 PM

2,032 posts, read 3,848,761 times
They look like long cat turds.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:29 AM

200 posts, read 215,599 times
lol @ cat turds LMAO! i literally busted out laughing. I have definitely seen some that look like that and i have seen some that look really good.

You can certainly wear dreads and look professional. It's all about why your wearing them in the first place. If your wearing them as a "F the establishment while I'm in college" way of expression then um... yeah cut them bad boys off before you interview. If you are wearing them as a style, like as in the way someone would decide to throw their hair in a bun in the morning because it looked nice then fine.

No one would go to a business interview with a jogging suit on so the same should be said about your hair.

Old 09-06-2012, 01:49 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,529,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
We should hire off three things: Skill,background and presentation.

Dreadlocks and long hair for men is not presentable and people tend to form and opinion and look the other way.
Here's a point
Your In walmart and you need help finding a product, who would you ask first?

The clean cut guy? Or the guy with dreadlocks 3 feet from his scalp?

Honestly, is this presentable to any of you?
Well, in this situation, the only thing you have to go on is presentation.

How do the two people present themselves as employees of Walmart?

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm going to ask the person who looks like they have a clue, looks like they care about their job, and looks like they are friendly and approachable.

Either one of the two employees you gave as examples could hold those traits. Substitute dreds for "tattoos", "race", "age", whatever.

I came to Walmart to buy cheap S------, and I want the person who looks like they give a damn about their job and is willing to take a stupid question from me without giving me S-------.

To me, that's all that matters in this context.

Old 09-06-2012, 02:31 PM

2,441 posts, read 5,251,022 times
A person should have the freedom and right to have whatever hairstyle they want.

But I also think private organizations should have the freedom and the right to hire a person or not, even if hairstyle is the only reason for not hiring the person. If that person with the hairstyle in question is a good employee, the private organization misses out on that economic possibility that person brings with them, and the next organization that hires them gains it.

Freedom and rights should be equally given and expected.

Old 09-06-2012, 09:17 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,117,146 times
This battle has already been won. Dreads are here to stay.

Old 09-08-2012, 10:57 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,424,600 times
Good, personal hygiene speaks volumes in terms of first impressions. Dreadlocks, if washed and groomed can be attractive on some people. When they start looking dirty, matted and ungroomed they look like dried up snakes. That as well as long greasy smelling hair on white folks is just gross. Sorry if some feel insulted but as an old schooler, I feel that PC has brought the standards of what is acceptable and professional in the work place as well as personal hygiene to a new low.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:29 PM

2,198 posts, read 3,296,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
Dreadlocks vs. Corporate America: Real-Life Stories of Making the Choice

Two professionals stood by their hairstyles --- with no regrets
by Gerren Keith Gaynor Posted: August 27, 2012

For many African Americans with dreadlocks, the pressures of cutting your hair to fit the mold of Corporate America can be commandeering.

More often than not, black professionals are encouraged to do so for greater chances of employment, where African Americans remain a small minority in the workforce. But making the choice to cut or not to cut may not always be an easy decision. READ MORE.
What makes you think only blacks can fashion their hair into dreds?

Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 PM

15,618 posts, read 9,172,360 times
This might be an issue in other sectors but not so much in the corporate world. Professionals in a corporate environment have already passed certain tests in order to be where they are. Most know how to express their individuality in an acceptable way. I've seen plenty of dreadlocks in the corporate world - like at least one other poster said, they've always been well-groomed - never the sort that looks like something might be nesting in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or