U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2012, 06:50 PM

6,562 posts, read 10,826,323 times

Advertisements

Maybe I'm really a psychopath (and don't know about it)..

Or maybe I've been using online forums and newsgroups for so long (almost 20 years of my life, well over half the time I've been alive.)

But I just don't seem to react very much to criticism, put downs, or even personal attacks against me or my values anymore, at least on online forums (I'm talking about forums in general, not this one in particular.)

Relatively speaking, it seems most people are easily hurt or offended if they receive a rather harsh reply to what they've posted on the forums.

I often see online forums as a goldmine of anonymous advice.. if you don't care about the criticism and can face the harsh realities of your situation. It seems no matter how nasty of a response you get from anyone, you will still be alive and kicking the next day. If I got shot with a gun for every time I received criticism, flames, or personal attacks on an online forum (even if I deserved it), then I'd be riddled with bullet holes all over my body. But I'm still here and alive today..

Whether or not the advice given on online forums is legit and credible is another issue but it gives me yet another valuable perspective in addition to asking friends/family or reasoning it out in my mind. Honestly, some of the most valuable and helpful online advice I've ever gotten was in the form of harsh criticisms.

What do you think? Do any other people share my sort of perspective when it comes to online forums?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:06 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,448,721 times
1. I don't really think this fits the Great Debates Forum.

Two answer your question- That's the risk you take when joining a forum. Not everybody agrees with you and then the personal attacks begin. I just ignore it and move on.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:42 PM

12,685 posts, read 11,394,049 times
If a person has to resort to personal attacks, that is proof enough to me that they don't have a credible argument.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 PM

14,318 posts, read 16,230,263 times
I have the OP beat by about five years. First logon was in 1986 on a local message board. Later we had our own BBS. We had one of the pro packages before that but I never used it, I C something or other. Took six months and a trip to the bank instructing them not to pay in writing to get them to cancel so I stuck with public boards after.

I think I was just nightbird then.

The local boards had strict rules. Personal attacks were forbidden. You got tossed off the board. The sysop could be sued by someone if they didn't properly police the content. Same with anyone underage or any non family material. People who came up on bbs's got used to the rules. Then the nets of affiliate bbs's started, Rime, Fido and I-Link. Then, Fido at least set up with an identical set up as the internet. But still, the *host* networks were responsible for content. People got privilidges to post pulled because of bad behavior. Now, the linked net itself was responsible.

Now, with most boards on websites, the website is responsible. I find its easy to spot the 'new' people, used text speak, making a lot of comments which are just comments, and the like. And they tend to either fix it or leave.

The people who are really sensitive to words tend to be the ones who are newer. The wisdom has LONG been to use the time honored Ignore button, tell the sysop, and let it be handled. The thing is, on a board all you have are words. Posts with half the works visibly misspelled (I'm not the spelling police so a few are different) show you don't really care to try to communicate, and the straight out rants are just trolls. All who post should know not to feed the trools.

There are some topics where, however, the sides are very directly opposed. This is where the personal attacks, or *percieved* personal attacks come. Instead of just saying I don't agree with you it has to say I don't agree with you '----'. And some people just don't get that others don't agree with them. Someone replies that, in essense, the base of their thoughts are not agreed with. There is nothing wrong with this and if the origional poster flies off the handle its their problem.

On message boards, especially those like this, those who seldom hear the other side are likely to, and that is important. It's normal and fine for the other side to argue. Its expected to have sufficent respect for them to not resort to personal terms.

If anyone is basing it on this board, then they are seeing only a slice. This board is well run. There is sufficent flexability, and the reaction to things isn't premature. Not all boards are like this. Some are so worried they'll have a complaint nobody can say anything with much contriversary. Some seem to have no rules and nobody polices the endless 'bumps' or off topic commentary.

Basically, even if your passionate about your beliefs, you need a certain thick skin on a board. Not only will someone disagree but should. If all you can do is take it personally, then its time to find something else to do with your time. But message boards promotie an amazing variety of discussion and advise and references to things like books you may never have heard of but which will be sitting on your wall. Or ideas you've never thought of. Sharing discussion is *good* and with it removed by the keyboard nobody is reacting to age or color or a nationality or just a face that doesn't appeal to them.

The other thing is message boards give everyone a chance to actually *write* things which need to convey a meaning and a point, and its interesting to see the learning curve as a poster starts out rather roughtly readable to quite literate.

In that message board select of the populace those with sufficent skills at the start to be able to put thoughts into the written word. So in a sense message boards are selective, since who ever they are or where they come from all the posters have attained a certain degree of literacy. So in a sense its a playground for a selected segment of the population.

Last edited by nightbird47; 09-17-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or