Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 09:23 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

When you walk into someone's office and there is a lot of clutter (documents, memos, brochures, etc.) on the person's desk and throughout their office in general, it is difficult not to form an impression. You may think that this person is super busy, or you may think that they are very disorganized.

Some will say that a clear desk is a sign of a clear mind.

Others will say that a busy desk is a sign of an active mind.

What do you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 09:50 AM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
It depends on what it is and whether or not there is another place to put it.

I'd be more impressed if they have a creative system for being organized and hiding clutter.

Some people have 2 or 3 desks all lined up to accommodate all their clutter. And they'll keep their main desk relatively clear. That doesn't impress me but if they managed to hide it all in cabinets or behind some doors then that would.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:18 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I've known people with messy offices who were extremely effective & productive, and people with messy offices who were disorganized and ineffective. So I take the status of the office, and combine it with what I know of the person's effectiveness and productivity, and then conclude which type the person is.

I've also known people with extremely neat offices with empty desks, and they also seem to have minds that are just as empty. So even though I'm a bit of an organizational neat freak, I don't make the conclusion just based on how the office and desk look.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:36 AM

1,331 posts, read 1,987,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
When you walk into someone's office and there is a lot of clutter (documents, memos, brochures, etc.) on the person's desk and throughout their office in general, it is difficult not to form an impression. You may think that this person is super busy, or you may think that they are very disorganized.

Some will say that a clear desk is a sign of a clear mind.

Others will say that a busy desk is a sign of an active mind.

What do you say?
My opinion is:
If there is a lot of clutter they want you to believe they are very busy....looks good when the boss stops by your cube.

If there is no clutter they realize that they need all their notes and info stored digitally so they can work from anywhere and be productive, not just productive 9-5 in their cube.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:44 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
So long as they don't put stuff on the floor I don't care. Stuff on the floor indicates too much work or no organization.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:12 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Anyone who judges me by the clutter in my office, geez...I have a TON of papers, equipment, I really need someone to clean this place up. A few boxes on the floor too. I need a bigger office. Ha ha...

Old 09-25-2012, 01:42 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
I'm not a fan of clutter, but my desk has lots of stuff on it....I know where everything is...and I can access it right away. It's not PILES of stuff....everything is neat....but I need stuff at my fingertips...so that's where I keep it!

I do have stuff on the floor...waiting on someone stronger than myself to take it to storage!! I can't lift those full boxes!

Old 09-25-2012, 02:39 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,650,086 times
I once went to the office of a human resource person, and it was 100% empty and devoid of paper and any personal items so that I thought the office had been vacated. It wasn't -- it was her office. But it made me think she was anal-retentive and obsessive and in subsequent interactions with her that proved to be the case. She was not personable and she was really rigid and obsessive about 'rules' etc.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:28 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,899,573 times
I also think that the amount of paper people have stored in their offices says a lot about the company's IT dept.

I would love to be almost-paperless, but I end up saving lots of hard copies of important things because there's always some issue with the network being down, or some archived electronic documents being lost, and the IT people can't seem to fix the problems. I can't even count how many times my carefully-filed hardcopy of something saved us when electronic info went missing.

Old 09-25-2012, 03:34 PM

638 posts, read 1,594,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I once went to the office of a human resource person, and it was 100% empty and devoid of paper and any personal items so that I thought the office had been vacated. It wasn't -- it was her office. But it made me think she was anal-retentive and obsessive and in subsequent interactions with her that proved to be the case. She was not personable and she was really rigid and obsessive about 'rules' etc.
I had the same experience with an office manager once. I think you tagged it correctly. The "little people" all had desks full of files and post it notes. They cleaned it up before leaving, but while at work, they were busy working those files.

While we're at it, I always wonder about people who live in sterile homes devoid of any signs of living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates