U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:21 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,480,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I've never understood the mentality of people who don't care for animals.....it makes me really wonder what type of upbringing they have had. It's like saying you wish you could live in a world without plants. Do you honestly feel that human life is the only one of value?
Exactly.
Animals are living creatures and I think all animals have the "right" to be taken care of, to be be respected,to not be abused.

If you disagree with any of that, I wouldn't know what to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2012, 06:40 PM

748 posts, read 984,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Exactly.
Animals are living creatures and I think all animals have the "right" to be taken care of, to be be respected,to not be abused.

If you disagree with any of that, I wouldn't know what to say.
I most definitely feel that animals deserve to be treated with respect and not abused. I feel there should be stricter punishment for those who abuse or neglect animals. I love my animals and will always help an animal being neglected or abused.

Do you think giving animals rights will prevent them from starving? Will it prevent abuse? Will giving an animal rights make anything better for them? Will giving our food animals rights get them better treatment?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:46 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,480,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
I most definitely feel that animals deserve to be treated with respect and not abused. I feel there should be stricter punishment for those who abuse or neglect animals. I love my animals and will always help an animal being neglected or abused.

Do you think giving animals rights will prevent them from starving? Will it prevent abuse? Will giving an animal rights make anything better for them? Will giving our food animals rights get them better treatment?
I think that animal rights will impose stricter punishments for abusing animals. It, in my opinion, is one of the sickest crimes you can commit. I could never, ever, ever lay a finger on my cat no matter who much she gets on my nerves.
Pedophiles, Rapist, Child abusers and animal abusers are grouped in the same group for me.

Old 10-14-2012, 02:37 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,537,327 times
Animal "rights" is an empty concept. The animal has no idea what a right is, or how to implement it, so it would come down to how humans treat that animal. Sound familiar? Rights mean nothing to those (insert organism here) who cannot understand or take action on them.

As the dominant species we have a responsibility to treat animals properly, as has been said many times in this thread. Whether someone calls that a right is pointless wordplay.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I think author and animal rights advocate Matthew Scully says it best:

"Animals are a test of character, of mankindís capacity for decent, honorable conduct. We are called to treat them with kindness, not because they have rights or a claim to equality, but because they donít. They all stand unequal and powerless before us.Ē

I think animal rights proponents are simply asserting that animals have the 'right' not to be tortured or mistreated, and a right to exist, i.e. not be driven to extinction by the actions of humans (unfortunately it's too late for thousands of animal species for that). It's not because of any unalienable rights but because we have a moral obligation to try to avoid decimating a species, and to avoid torturing animals, even those we deem are pests or food.
It is not their right, it is our responsibility to make sure it does not happen. I do agree in that animals should be treated kind and not tortured, but it is our responsibility to stand up and prevent it from happening. It is our responsibility to feed them and protect them. It is our responsibility to prevent abuse and neglect. The responsibility comes with OUR right to have them in our society. I agree with you, it is our moral responsibility. It is OUR responsibility.

Old 10-14-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I think that animal rights will impose stricter punishments for abusing animals. It, in my opinion, is one of the sickest crimes you can commit. I could never, ever, ever lay a finger on my cat no matter who much she gets on my nerves.
Pedophiles, Rapist, Child abusers and animal abusers are grouped in the same group for me.
How would giving an animal rights impose stricter punishments? Or better, how would the animal fight for those rights and prevent the abuse? Can they call the police?

Old 10-14-2012, 06:30 PM

7,099 posts, read 23,892,964 times
Where are you going to draw a line? Does the rat have the same "rights" as the sweet puppy?

We, as humans, do NOT have the right to treat animals anyway we want to. Do we have the "right" to confine animals in cages at the zoo?

Old 10-14-2012, 07:53 PM

17,575 posts, read 21,756,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Animal "rights" is an empty concept. The animal has no idea what a right is, or how to implement it, so it would come down to how humans treat that animal. Sound familiar? Rights mean nothing to those (insert organism here) who cannot understand or take action on them.

As the dominant species we have a responsibility to treat animals properly, as has been said many times in this thread. Whether someone calls that a right is pointless wordplay.

I don't like the term"animal rights" either.It conjures images of animals voting, selecting their owners, driving a car and other lubricious scenarios. Animals are not equal to us. We are human beings, and we are superior.

This is not like debating one race over another. It's an obvious fact.

HOWEVER - Animals are sentient, intelligent, feeling creatures.

In the 21 st Century we have evolved in so many ways. Nothing is perfect, but for those of you who wax nostalgic at the mention of "the good old days" we must admit that in terms of the treatment of people, most western industrialized nations would agree, that owning slaves is abhorrent, women should have the right to vote, child abuse is unacceptable, burning people at the stake is gruesome ad cruel, and a weekend activity of taking the kids to watch the latest person being executed is not wholesome family entertainment.

We may vary to what degree and in what way we think these things, but they are generally accepted.

There is one way that we, as human beings have not evolved - and, indeed in some ways, gotten worse. This is our treatment of other species. Of animals.

The plight of animals in Factory Farms is atrocious. I would venture to guess that at least half of the people in the world could not do what is done to animals i Factory Farms. These are not your great grandpa's farm. They are intensive breeding facilities where animals are subjected to the most cruel treatment imaginable. Pigs and chickens are practically boiled alive, baby chicks are ground up alive, calves are kept i horrible confinement just so some people ca eat "veal". None of this is needed at all.

What ever your beliefs, abject cruelty is just unacceptable. Torture for pleasure, weather Rodeos, Bull fights, Dog fighting are also unacceptable. Why should people find watching a terrified calf with a boot being jammed i it's neck be fu acceptable or entertaining?

Same with circuses. An elephant does not want to stand on a ball for your pleasure. A tiger does not want to jump through a hoop of fire. Dolphins don't want to do tricks for you.

Minks don't want to be anally electrocuted, doge do not want to be skinned alive and cats to not want to be beaten boiled and skinned.

It's your cultural heritage? You know what? I don't care. It's bad and wrong. Why the hell is ANY OF THIS ACCEPTABLE TO ANYONE? WORSE - why is it entertaining?

Psychologists and criminologists have profiled serial murderers and the most notorious among them got their start with animmal cruelty. Jeffrey Dahmer is but oe example.

We need to GROW UP as a culture and ban these hideous activities and practices.

There is plenty of food to eat. If I see one more picture of a pig being shoved dow into a bloody vat of water with very real terror and pain in it's eyes, I will scream.

Why is this OK?

It's not about rights. It is about humanity and compassion, This is just so messed up.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:45 AM

18,290 posts, read 18,539,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't like the term"animal rights" either.It conjures images of animals voting, selecting their owners, driving a car and other lubricious scenarios. Animals are not equal to us. We are human beings, and we are superior.

This is not like debating one race over another. It's an obvious fact.

HOWEVER - Animals are sentient, intelligent, feeling creatures.

In the 21 st Century we have evolved in so many ways. Nothing is perfect, but for those of you who wax nostalgic at the mention of "the good old days" we must admit that in terms of the treatment of people, most western industrialized nations would agree, that owning slaves is abhorrent, women should have the right to vote, child abuse is unacceptable, burning people at the stake is gruesome ad cruel, and a weekend activity of taking the kids to watch the latest person being executed is not wholesome family entertainment.

We may vary to what degree and in what way we think these things, but they are generally accepted.

There is one way that we, as human beings have not evolved - and, indeed in some ways, gotten worse. This is our treatment of other species. Of animals.

The plight of animals in Factory Farms is atrocious. I would venture to guess that at least half of the people in the world could not do what is done to animals i Factory Farms. These are not your great grandpa's farm. They are intensive breeding facilities where animals are subjected to the most cruel treatment imaginable. Pigs and chickens are practically boiled alive, baby chicks are ground up alive, calves are kept i horrible confinement just so some people ca eat "veal". None of this is needed at all.

What ever your beliefs, abject cruelty is just unacceptable. Torture for pleasure, weather Rodeos, Bull fights, Dog fighting are also unacceptable. Why should people find watching a terrified calf with a boot being jammed i it's neck be fu acceptable or entertaining?

Same with circuses. An elephant does not want to stand on a ball for your pleasure. A tiger does not want to jump through a hoop of fire. Dolphins don't want to do tricks for you.

Minks don't want to be anally electrocuted, doge do not want to be skinned alive and cats to not want to be beaten boiled and skinned.

It's your cultural heritage? You know what? I don't care. It's bad and wrong. Why the hell is ANY OF THIS ACCEPTABLE TO ANYONE? WORSE - why is it entertaining?

Psychologists and criminologists have profiled serial murderers and the most notorious among them got their start with animmal cruelty. Jeffrey Dahmer is but oe example.

We need to GROW UP as a culture and ban these hideous activities and practices.

There is plenty of food to eat. If I see one more picture of a pig being shoved dow into a bloody vat of water with very real terror and pain in it's eyes, I will scream.

Why is this OK?

It's not about rights. It is about humanity and compassion, This is just so messed up.

Other animals don't have a lot of hope when we have not even progressed to the level of treating other humans in a 'humane' way.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:40 PM

4,159 posts, read 4,194,225 times
I like hunting and I never see the wolves only hunting animals their own size. They will kill anything they can catch and eat. Last year we shot a bear and thought it was dead. Wham! It came back to life and charged us. I don't think the bear cared much for my rights or the rights of the other hunters. We blasted the bear a few more times and sent him to bear heaven where in a perfect world I'm sure God is chatting with him about his right to die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or