U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 07:01 PM

17,606 posts, read 21,805,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Other animals don't have a lot of hope when we have not even progressed to the level of treating other humans in a 'humane' way.

No they do not. But while we have progressed in our treatment of human beings in the last 200 years, we have regressed i our treatment of animals.

Some examples - Intensive factory farming is nothing short of institutionalized animal cruelty, The ASPCA is forbidden to enforce normal humane standards by these these big businesses and their powerful lobbies. That is, they pat people off to do everything in the least expensive and least humane way.

Peoples greed for "designer dogs" have fueled the Puppy Mill industry, causing misery to countless dogs.
But still many people never think to adopt a dog from an animal shelter.
They want a certain breed of dog that they see vapid celebrities like Paris Hilton carrying around.

The same air headed celebrities celebrate their fleeting fame by wearing furs, which are now affordable to even the middle class.

People such as Micheal Vick engage in the brutal sport of dog fighting which has become increasingly popular i the last 20 years and is then it is defended by such luminaries as Chris Rock ad Whoopi Goldberg as being a part of Southern or African American culture.
Give me a break! I know plenty of Southern and African American people who find this activity abhorrent. It's offensive to them the say "It's a Southern thing" or it's a a "Black thing".

No, it's a SADISTIC thing

People have become more callous, hardened, and brutal towards animals.
And the treatment of animals and humans are interconnected and are NOT MUTUALLY EXCLUSIVE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 03:19 PM

634 posts, read 1,435,422 times
I am not a vegetarian but i love all kinds of animals. I was shocked by the differences concerning animal rights in switzerland and germany. I never thought that there are differences. Animals are very much better treatened in switzerland as in germany. I stopped eating factory farming chicken when i started reading about this in bookes, internet and magazines.

Old 10-22-2012, 05:33 PM

863 posts, read 1,024,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
It is a person's right to own animals, we have responsibilities with those rights. Trying to give rights to animals, in my opinion is trying to pass the responsibility on to the animals. They can not defend such rights. So they would be useless.

So any person person unable to defend themselves should not have rights? That's what you're saying here.

Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 PM

1,417 posts, read 1,482,456 times
Animals are like children. So many people think that you don't have to treat them with respect. The fact is you do. Animals and children both rebel after years of mistreatment.

Maybe "rights" isn't the word, but I think animals should all have food, water and shelter.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 AM

413 posts, read 553,300 times
Giving animals "rights" is mostly about animal welfare however there are those who do have more extreme views on animal rights. They want rights for animals so that there are harsher penalties for those who abuse animals - not every state has a felony animal abuse law. Rights for animals also gives them a status that is more protected - so in the case of factory farm animals they are dealt with (killed) more humanely.
I agree with both those premises - welfare for animals being a responsibility and the right to be dealt with in a humane way.
There will always be unwanted cats and dogs (and other domesticated animals) but there are not that many ethical breeders - as evidenced by those who breed an animal every time it comes into cycle or breed for looks that end up being harmful to the animals -
Case in point bulldogs (UGA dogs) that are bred to have very broad and muscular chests (they can barely support their own body weight on their legs) and also are bred to have very flat faces (which means respiratory issues) AND these dogs are being bred by what everyone thinks is a very legitimate and responsible breeder.

Even wildlife should have the RIGHT to be treated/killed in a humane way.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:47 AM

14,072 posts, read 20,170,095 times
I'm so not going to get into this debate but I'm just going to say this: If any person is caught doing any harm to ANY animal, they should be held accountable for it and be punished for it PERIOD.

Old 10-25-2012, 04:45 PM

12,447 posts, read 14,592,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccdan View Post
Animals don't have "rights" - this is just a social construct that it's only in people's heads.

Personally, I'd like to live in a world without any kind of animals other than farm animals.

If you believe animals should have rights, then:
1. stop eating meat
2. offer yourself as food to animals, when animals starve (because animals must have the right to food! right?)
I disagree cccdan...Used in the context of "a just claim" animals DO have rights. As a fair and just person I believe my animals have the RIGHT to be fed well, and to have comfort in their lives, which, as they are basically "imprisoned" to me I have the responsibility to see that those rights are met....not eating meat has nothing to do with basic rights, raising that meat in a respectable, clean, safe environment does...There's no need to sacrifice your life to feed an animal cccdan, unless you really want to, I'm sure the wild ones won't turn you down, and I surely wouldn't deny you that right

Old 10-25-2012, 06:12 PM

17,606 posts, read 21,805,151 times
Animal Rights is just another term for Animal Welfare. Because some people take the word literally and think that those of us who advocate for compassionate and humane treatment of animals think that we mean - animals should have the right to vote or to own property , I have started to use the word welfare instead.

The idea that Animals would have the right to do human things - attend school, spend money, enter into a legal contract is preposterous to any thinking person. It's the stuff of children's books and fantasy.
The word "rights" has been used to make fun of those of us who support the fair and humane treatment of all animals by our detractors. So I chose to use "welfare" instead.

Old 10-26-2012, 10:41 AM

12,447 posts, read 14,592,469 times
I could tell you at least 10 different meanings and ways the word "right" is used.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:59 PM

191 posts, read 481,628 times
Yes!!! All animals have rights! The right to live and not be hunted or killed for food or fun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or