Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:02 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,533 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on Animal Rights? Do you feel all animals should have rights? The right to live? The right to food?

I feel that animals should not have rights. As much as I love animals, I do not see where giving them rights will help them at all.

Rights are something the people in a society often fight for to keep. With rights come responsibility.
Animals can not fight for the right to eat. They can not sue their owner in court for abuse.

I feel that people need to be responsible, people need to take the responsibility that comes with having animals in our society, from pets all the way to the food animals.

If you give a dog the right to eat, he will still need a responsible person to feed him. Give a dog or cat, the right to die, he will have no way to communicate that to us, what is he going to jump off a tall building? He will still need a responsible person to do the deed.

It is a person's right to own animals, we have responsibilities with those rights. Trying to give rights to animals, in my opinion is trying to pass the responsibility on to the animals. They can not defend such rights. So they would be useless.

How do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:21 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
What are your thoughts on Animal Rights? Do you feel all animals should have rights? The right to live? The right to food?

I feel that animals should not have rights. As much as I love animals, I do not see where giving them rights will help them at all.

Rights are something the people in a society often fight for to keep. With rights come responsibility.
Animals can not fight for the right to eat. They can not sue their owner in court for abuse.

I feel that people need to be responsible, people need to take the responsibility that comes with having animals in our society, from pets all the way to the food animals.

If you give a dog the right to eat, he will still need a responsible person to feed him. Give a dog or cat, the right to die, he will have no way to communicate that to us, what is he going to jump off a tall building? He will still need a responsible person to do the deed.

It is a person's right to own animals, we have responsibilities with those rights. Trying to give rights to animals, in my opinion is trying to pass the responsibility on to the animals. They can not defend such rights. So they would be useless.

How do you feel about it?

Just like children, animals are dependent on us. Unlike children, it's not for a limited time.

Children can't sue, does that mean they don't deserve rights? Yes animals deserve rights, they deserve to have food and water.
When you adopt a cat, you promise that you will take care of this cat, or dog, or etc.

Yes they should have rights.

If you torch a dog, not only is the dog dead, but no matter what, it wouldn't be able to fight for justice, it's OUR job to make sure that justice is served.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:46 PM

76 posts, read 76,101 times
Animals don't have "rights" - this is just a social construct that it's only in people's heads.

Personally, I'd like to live in a world without any kind of animals other than farm animals.

If you believe animals should have rights, then:
1. stop eating meat
2. offer yourself as food to animals, when animals starve (because animals must have the right to food! right?)

Old 10-01-2012, 10:04 PM

527 posts, read 1,281,756 times
I support "animal welfare", which isn't the same thing.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Just like children, animals are dependent on us. Unlike children, it's not for a limited time.

Children can't sue, does that mean they don't deserve rights? Yes animals deserve rights, they deserve to have food and water.
When you adopt a cat, you promise that you will take care of this cat, or dog, or etc.

Yes they should have rights.

If you torch a dog, not only is the dog dead, but no matter what, it wouldn't be able to fight for justice, it's OUR job to make sure that justice is served.

What would an animal do with rights? If you give an animal rights it takes away YOU responsibility. Say your sick dog that you have loved for it's entire life became sick and was in pain, could no longer walk. If you give the right to live to that dog, it is no longer your responsibility to choose to end his suffering.

Animals don't want rights, they want the people who choose to take them as pets or to eat them, to be responsible for their care. It is our right to have children, it is our responsibility to make sure they are fed and safe. Animals deserve for people do be responsible and do the right things. Taking our rights and giving them to animals will not unchain the dog in the back yard, it won't keep him from being abused. People just need to stand up and be responsible and make others be responsible as well. Stop walking on the other side of the street so you don't see the dog starving to death in the neighbors yard.

Oh, but that dog has the right to live, a lot of good it will do for him.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 AM

36,522 posts, read 30,847,571 times
My understanting of animal rights is that they be treated humanely. Food, water, shelter , medical attention and not abused and tormentedm, even livestock. I never thought it should mean civil rights.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:03 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,306,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
My understanting of animal rights is that they be treated humanely. Food, water, shelter , medical attention and not abused and tormentedm, even livestock. I never thought it should mean civil rights.
Agreed

Old 10-02-2012, 01:11 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
I also agree. Beyond that they have the right to be animals and survival of the fittest takes over. Remember, if they die you can dispose of them "humanely." But if you die first and go undiscovered for a time, when their food runs out they're likely to dispose of you.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:29 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
I don't think it is necessary for animals to have rights. But that doesn't release humans from responsibility.

If we adopt an animal, we must provide food, shelter, medical care, and positive attention. Same goes for working animals.

If we eat animals or use their body parts (leather), we must to kill them as painless as possible.

If we destroy an animals natural environment, we must find ways to care for them in a manner that closely resembles their natural environment.

If we euthanize them, we must do it in a compassionate and painless manner.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:30 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post

I don't think I mentioned civil rights specifically. And I believe what you are talking about is known as animal welfare, rather then animal rights. Of course animals can not have civil rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates