Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 02:36 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,050,755 times

Advertisements

By a collection of evolutionary events, we have become the dominant species on this planet. Our relationship with other animals is structured from a speciocentric perspective: we are dominant, therefore we are in a position to implement that dominance. There is nothing unusual about that in and of itself--all animals dominate their environments to the extent that they are capable of doing so. For that matter, specific demographic groups within a species exert dominance over other groups--simply because they can. The dominant players are always the ones who define rights, and determine which entities will possess these rights.

There is no such thing as a set of natural rights--not for other animals, not for human beings. All enumerated rights are created through a process of cognitive human function. In some cases, we create those rights to survive as a species. In other instances, we assert those rights as a means of economic enrichment. Sometimes, those rights have no purpose other than our personal amusement.

From an interactive point of view, what sets us apart from other animals is our ability to ascertain the logical effects of our actions. We've evolved an intelligence which allows us to understand biological functions such as central nervous systems and pain receptors. Anyone who has ever accidentally stepped on a dog's tail or paw understands that animals are capable of perceiving physical sensations of pain. The real question is whether or not we've evolved ethically to the point that we, as a species, are willing to reject the humanly-devised right to arbitrarily and capriciously use other species.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2012, 02:42 PM

568 posts, read 962,019 times
Animals should have rights because NO LIVING thing deserves to go hungry, be tortured or any thing else inhumane. Humans are the problem on this earth anyway...NOT animals. Nature has a way to take care of itself....humans come in and disrupt the whole plan of nature. So it looks like I did find "IT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
yes, dig deeper.

I was simply asking if there are any animal rights activists, and hoping they could explain their views on why they feel animals should have rights.

It there are none, then I am sure you can get out of the kitty litter box and toss your litter into another post.
Simple simple stuff.

".

Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And what should we as citizens be required to do for stray, starving animals?
We, as humanity, need to spay and neuter our animals to ensure that there are not stray animals to begin with.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:01 PM

757 posts, read 1,328,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
We, as humanity, need to spay and neuter our animals to ensure that there are not stray animals to begin with.
Yes, that is the answer, spay and neuter our animals. You know what it will ensure in a few more years, as there become fewer and fewer animals that can reproduce? Limited gene pool. Smuggling in animals from other countries to meet the demands that already can not be met.

Responsible people do not let their animals create unwanted litters, they do not breed carelessly. These are not the people who leave animals for stray, yet the responsible people are the ones who do spay and neuter their pets.

Even if every dog in the population were spayed/neutered, the shelters would still be full of dogs. Any idea why???

As a member of a society, we need to be responsible. That's all, just be responsible. Don't think giving up your rights will help animals. Give an animal rights, won't keep it from becoming stray or having an unwanted pregnancy.

But spay/neuter has nothing to do with animal rights, unless you are saying you thing the animal has a right to choose or something crazy like that. But I am pretty sure that is not what you are saying.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:03 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,647,340 times
I think author and animal rights advocate Matthew Scully says it best:

"Animals are a test of character, of mankind’s capacity for decent, honorable conduct. We are called to treat them with kindness, not because they have rights or a claim to equality, but because they don’t. They all stand unequal and powerless before us.”

I think animal rights proponents are simply asserting that animals have the 'right' not to be tortured or mistreated, and a right to exist, i.e. not be driven to extinction by the actions of humans (unfortunately it's too late for thousands of animal species for that). It's not because of any unalienable rights but because we have a moral obligation to try to avoid decimating a species, and to avoid torturing animals, even those we deem are pests or food.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:09 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And what should we as citizens be required to do for stray, starving animals? I went to the co-op today and its becoming a financial burden for me to feed and care for the animals I have. Many of mine are the cleaning up of other peoples irresponsibility. I would love to be able to take in more but just can not afford it.
Contact your local animal-shelter.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:11 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,944,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccdan View Post
Animals don't have "rights" - this is just a social construct that it's only in people's heads.

Personally, I'd like to live in a world without any kind of animals other than farm animals.

If you believe animals should have rights, then:
1. stop eating meat
2. offer yourself as food to animals, when animals starve (because animals must have the right to food! right?)
I've never understood the mentality of people who don't care for animals.....it makes me really wonder what type of upbringing they have had. It's like saying you wish you could live in a world without plants. Do you honestly feel that human life is the only one of value?

Old 10-03-2012, 07:36 AM

36,505 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post

I do spay and neuter mine. My gs brought home a pregnant stray so that was 8 more for me to deal with (spay, neuter, feed, etc.). But as citizens why is it our responsibility to care for strays (someone elses irresponsibility). There is only so much one can do. But yeah, I found a home for one more of the kittens. Three down, three to go. Im keeping one, yes Im stupid. That will put me at 4 cats, all spayed and neutered btw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
Contact your local animal-shelter.
In many areas of this country there is no local animal-shelter. The "shelter" will give them 3 days before euthanasia. They dont pick them up and you cant drop any off if you are not in that cities limits.
Sometimes a sherrif will come and shot them if they are a problem. Sad.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:21 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,537,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SocalPitgal View Post
Yes, that is the answer, spay and neuter our animals. You know what it will ensure in a few more years, as there become fewer and fewer animals that can reproduce? Limited gene pool. Smuggling in animals from other countries to meet the demands that already can not be met.

Responsible people do not let their animals create unwanted litters, they do not breed carelessly. These are not the people who leave animals for stray, yet the responsible people are the ones who do spay and neuter their pets.

Even if every dog in the population were spayed/neutered, the shelters would still be full of dogs. Any idea why???

As a member of a society, we need to be responsible. That's all, just be responsible. Don't think giving up your rights will help animals. Give an animal rights, won't keep it from becoming stray or having an unwanted pregnancy.

But spay/neuter has nothing to do with animal rights, unless you are saying you thing the animal has a right to choose or something crazy like that. But I am pretty sure that is not what you are saying.
You are right ! I was referring to our responsibility as humans, not bestowing rights on animals.

We will always have animal breeders, I don't advocate eliminating responsible breeders. And I seriously seriously doubt than any world-wide spay/neuter program would stop the existence of the lovable heinz 57 variety mutt or moggy. I think spaying and neutering would ease needless animal suffering and ultimately relieve some of the costs associated with animal care and control. They would still need to exist to recover lost animals and serve as a triage for animals mistreated and neglected by irresponsible people.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:07 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,282,353 times
The first thing I noticed on this thread is what appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding of what rights are. Rights are not granted, they exist. And putting aside for a moment the animal question, we all as humans have the same rights until they are taken away. This is the basis of the American Bill of Rights and Declaration of Independence. They are not *granting* us rights. They are ensuring that the rights we *have* are not taken from us again. The default position is that we have rights.

Some very basic rights are the right to live, which carries implicit several others such as the right to feed yourself, the right to breathe, the right to take care of yourself, the right to communicate with others. The fact that I have such rights does not absolve you of your responsibilities, nor does it create responsibilities for you where I am concerned.

Responsibilities are separate from rights, although they frequently go hand in hand. Responsibilities are also often things we take on ourselves by virtue of choices we have made. For example, if I have dependent children, I have chosen to take on certain responsibilities regarding their care and the respect of certain rights they have, however basic they may be.

This brings us around to the animals. They do have certain very basic rights. If we render them otherwise helpless or dependent on us, or we alter their abilities to care for themselves, then we have *by choice* taken on the responsibility for their care. The fact that they by default have certain basic rights does not remove from us the responsibilities that we have taken upon ourselves by virtue of our own actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates