U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 01:28 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,536,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Doctors don't chase ambulances.

Doctors don't set the pharmacy prices.

Doctors who work for hospitals have to meet their employers terms, they don't set the prices.

Doctors take an oath to do no harm.

I've met several doctors (my wife is a nurse - currently working with pediatrics), none of who every go out of their way to "screw" anyone... no "lessons" to teach anyone.

I've never met a lawyer who doesn't work of their own agenda and actually try to do good for society just for doing good's sake. I'm sure there may still be some newer ones out there with an idealistic view, but the other lawyers, judges, and judicial system will work that out of them soon enough.

A doctor after 20 years is still in for doing good for his/her patients. I haven't met a lawyer yet where I could say the same thing.
But the lawyer works for their client, yes?

Albeit doctors take an oath TO DO NO HARM, they aren't bound to keeping the situation from declining.

For example:

I had surgery on my feet. It was absolutely EXCRUCIATING to lay down, let alone walk. So I was in pain, but the doctor didn't give me a wheelchair or crutches. He did no more harm to me, but just let the current pain persist. I was given Tylenol III for the pain. It did as much to take the pain away as a bag of Doritos would have, or a lint roller; Which is nothing. I went to my other doctor and told him what pain I was in and asked for something that could actually allow me to walk without breaking into tears. He said he wouldn't give me anything stronger than Tylenol III.

But a lawyer? A lawyer actually (assuming they are good) works for their client, no matter the circumstances.

If I commit a crime and I want to say I did the crime because I was "crazy", the lawyer will work that for me. A doctor? A doctor doesn't seek to get the results their clients desire. They have their own opinions as to whether or not I am "crazy" or "sane".

Doctors decide what kind of pain tolerance you have and treat you according to their perceptions of your pain.

A doctor does what THEY think is best for you.

A lawyer does what they think is best for their client.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 PM

23,605 posts, read 30,495,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
But the lawyer works for their client, yes?

But a lawyer? A lawyer actually (assuming they are good) works for their client, no matter the circumstances.

A lawyer does what they think is best for their client.
Until they grow up and become politicians, then they do what they know is best for themselves. Their former clients are now just the "little people."

Old 10-15-2012, 05:34 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,536,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Until they grow up and become politicians, then they do what they know is best for themselves. Their former clients are now just the "little people."
That's the key part. Not all lawyers "become" politicians. And certainly, not all politicians are former lawyers.

What about doctors who become politicians? Are they just as bad?

Old 10-15-2012, 10:26 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,127,114 times
Everyone loves doctors, except the nurses who work with them.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 PM

2,213 posts, read 3,035,706 times
A2DAC1985 made one the best argument for lawyers so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
Everyone loves doctors, except the nurses who work with them.
Case in point: It's really the nurses who deserve much of the credit that doctors generally get.

Old 10-15-2012, 11:49 PM

3,523 posts, read 3,779,439 times
One saves lives.
One manipulates the situation to get his clients what they want, always at the expense of others.

imo, lawyers aren't "scum" but it isn't an honorable profession.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:15 AM

41,505 posts, read 49,846,957 times
I hire doctors when my body needs fixing and I hire lawyers when I need legal advice. I have picked good people of both professions. So far I have not needed a lawyer to intercede in any criminal cases for me. Just lucky, and mostly law abiding, I guess.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:27 AM

42,382 posts, read 50,172,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
A2DAC1985 made one the best argument for lawyers so far.

t.
A2 took an anecdote and tried to create an argument from it.

Lawyers are the reason prices are high for everything, the reason you always have to watch your back, the reason you have to sign 18 billion forms and waivers, the reason no one can understand a contract/fine print/etc, the reason you can't do lots of fun things anymore...it's a sue happy society and I guarantee you that it wasn't usually the 'victim's' idea to come up with a lawsuit. They prey on the misfortune of others and then take 40% while making everyone's life miserable.

Most doctors I know regularly work for free to ensure that serious medical conditions are stabilized, even knowing that there will still be a lawyer right behind them to sue them for the work they never got paid for.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:17 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,495,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
That's the key part. Not all lawyers "become" politicians. And certainly, not all politicians are former lawyers.

What about doctors who become politicians? Are they just as bad?
Almost but not quite. Besides, there are a lot fewer of them so they do less harm.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM

8,414 posts, read 8,676,859 times
Quote:
A2 took an anecdote and tried to create an argument from it.

Lawyers are the reason prices are high for everything, the reason you always have to watch your back, the reason you have to sign 18 billion forms and waivers, the reason no one can understand a contract/fine print/etc, the reason you can't do lots of fun things anymore...it's a sue happy society and I guarantee you that it wasn't usually the 'victim's' idea to come up with a lawsuit. They prey on the misfortune of others and then take 40% while making everyone's life miserable.

Most doctors I know regularly work for free to ensure that serious medical conditions are stabilized, even knowing that there will still be a lawyer right behind them to sue them for the work they never got paid for.

Talk about self-serving nonsense. Many prominent people in this society don't believe that they should be held to account for their mistakes and carelessness. If you fall into that category, I don't suppose you will like lawyers.

The world we live in today does have a lot of waivers, warnings, and sometimes even I think that precautions go a bit a far. Nevertheless, I contrast it with the world I grew up in the 1960's in this country.

1. Cars had no seat belts.

2. Child safety seats for children were non-existent.

3. I had a friend badly scarred by an old-fashioned steamer in which the top was not secured to the bottom. One day, being three years old, she pulled it off the counter and poured scalding water all over herself.

4. I used to target shoot and one day a gun with a particularly poor design prematurely ignited a rim fire cartridge and it blew up in my face. I was lucky I didn't lose the sight in one of my eyes.

5. Defective designs in airliners and airplanes caused numerous crashes and fatalities over the years.

6. Lawn mowers and snow blowers didn't have safety devices that shut off when your hands were not on the controls. It lead to many people having fingers and toes chopped off by moving parts because they acted without thinking.

Accidents are caused. They don't just happen. No one likes lawsuits, but in our society where everything is governed by a profit motive and there are incentives to do things in a cheaper and more slipshod way, lawsuits by private individuals are a necessity. I'd argue that a private tort system is better than government regulation. It gives each individual the power to redress their grievances. Its not a "one-size-fits-all model" like regulation inevitably is. Finally, a jury of other citizens in the community decides whether you are entitled to compensation as opposed to some bureaucrat.

Lawyers will never be held in the same esteem that doctors are and that's fine with me. It doesn't change the fact that whether we are liked or not we fill a valuable and essential role in controlling the power of abusive corporations, omnipotent government officials, and irresponsible people in all professions and occupations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates