U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 08:48 PM

2,213 posts, read 3,035,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
WHAT??? Criminal lawyers work to keep their clients out of prison, regardless of how many heinous crimes they may have committed. That's what they (you?) do. How can those lawyers sleep at night, knowing they tried (or succeeded) to keep a killer out of jail?

You can talk all about various sources to support your claims, but the fact is I could not look at myself in the mirror if I defended a rapist or murderer, especially for money.

Your other points have been addressed in previous posts.
Criminal lawyers are only defenders? Ever heard of prosecutors? There's two sides in every courtroom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 10:36 PM

5,905 posts, read 6,993,908 times
Doctors heal people, lawyers steal from people.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM

8,402 posts, read 19,659,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexWest View Post
Criminal lawyers are only defenders? Ever heard of prosecutors? There's two sides in every courtroom.
My understanding is that criminal lawyer is the term used for attorneys who are working for the defense, and prosecutor is the term used for attorneys who are working for the people. If that's incorrect, I apologize. "Defense attorney" may be the term I'm thinking of. BUT if "criminal lawyers" is the term used to describe both, then the post I responded to was intentionally misleading by implying that all criminal lawyers are prosecutors.

Old 10-18-2012, 09:07 AM

23,605 posts, read 30,495,011 times
Quote:
My understanding is that criminal lawyer is the term used for attorneys who are working for the defense, and prosecutor is the term used for attorneys who are working for the people. If that's incorrect, I apologize. "Defense attorney" may be the term I'm thinking of. BUT if "criminal lawyers" is the term used to describe both, then the post I responded to was intentionally misleading by implying that all criminal lawyers are prosecutors.
The term "trial attorney" also denotes the defense bar.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:28 PM

8,414 posts, read 8,676,859 times
Quote:
Your posts portray a high degree of ignorance about the legal profession and what it does. Perhaps, before posting here more and revealing additional ignorance you ought to first educate yourself a bit. Its not hard if you are motivated to do it as opposed to just popping off with the first thought that enters your head. I'd be more than happy to suggest some literature.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Many people are obviously guilty. Jared Loughner (Phoenix shooter) and the Batman movie shooter a few months ago are a couple well known cases where the guilt of the perp isn't questioned. There are many lesser known cases as well.
Not quite. It's not that cut-and-dried. While there may be no doubt that the individual committed the crime, there are also, or can be, matters in mitigation and/or extenuation. Not guilty by reason of insanity can be a viable defense. It's allowed in American jurisprudence and therefore cannot be ignored. Like I said, it's not always that simple.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Your posts portray a high degree of ignorance about the legal profession and what it does. Perhaps, before posting here more and revealing additional ignorance you ought to first educate yourself a bit. Its not hard if you are motivated to do it as opposed to just popping off with the first thought that enters your head. I'd be more than happy to suggest some literature.
Quite frankly, I think you could put all that a bit more maturly by leaving out the insults. They don't really add to the discussion. Let's face it, these matters can be very emotional for some. Try taking that into consideration before attempting to belittle another poster please. I mean, you're beginning to sound like an attorney.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:46 PM

8,414 posts, read 8,676,859 times
Quote:
Quite frankly, I think you could put all that a bit more maturly by leaving out the insults. They don't really add to the discussion. Let's face it, these matters can be very emotional for some. Try taking that into consideration before attempting to belittle another poster please. I mean, you're beginning to sound like an attorney.
Your point is well taken, but its hard to have a discussion with a person who believes, in his own words, that 99 out of 100 lawsuits are not cases at all. If I were to make such an extravagant statement, I'd at least look for some supporting authority. The fact that he does not speaks volumes.

Old 10-19-2012, 12:39 AM

5,949 posts, read 12,781,158 times
I like qualified CPA's way better than doctors and lawyers. I'll take a good money grubber (who's working on my behalf) over a drug peddler and great debater any day!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:22 AM

8,402 posts, read 19,659,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It says a lot to me that you can't seem to post without making it a personal attack on me, and without making a bunch of assumptions that also have no basis. You're focused on one comment I made as if it is the entirety of my being. Get over yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Not quite. It's not that cut-and-dried. While there may be no doubt that the individual committed the crime, there are also, or can be, matters in mitigation and/or extenuation. Not guilty by reason of insanity can be a viable defense. It's allowed in American jurisprudence and therefore cannot be ignored. Like I said, it's not always that simple.
I understand all that. But my original point to you was only that guilt is obvious in some cases. The rest is legal maneuvering on both sides, and has nothing to do with punishing the guilty, or more importantly, protecting the public from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates