Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:43 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,205,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEternalSanctuaryMan View Post
Certainly they should be 'reprimanded'. Question is, how insensitive were British Columbians prior to this aired travesty? Canadians tend to have a keen "not seen = never happened" mentality with this sort of story and after-the-fact is televised comes the tut-tut remonstrations to prove civility.

There are no guarantees in this life as to the actions of others. Responsible, intelligent parents would have been there for their child and aided them under circumstance like this, that is what they are for. The key word here is RESPONSIBLE, yours' is victim, a mindset oddly elevated today by social-engineerists. That is where the onus lies immediately and there is no way to squirm out of that. Why is it always them who must be responsible and not you? Why the government alone?
You speak of responsibility but you omit the fact that bullies must be held accountable for their actions as well. Being a prick is something people can choose not to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 11:06 PM

488 posts, read 412,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro2113 View Post
You speak of responsibility but you omit the fact that bullies must be held accountable for their actions as well. Being a prick is something people can choose not to do.
Re-read those posts as you are wrong. Those kids who beat her in a ditch should be held responsible for their actions as should the boy who got her to post herself topless as well.

Unfortunately, a lack of parental & peer & above all, personal responsibility, plus her lack of will drove this girl out of her mind. At the end of it all her shame did her in and that too me is senseless. You can easily say that that is cruel; so be it. Yet there is no amount of shame about this situation that calls for a child seeking attention to go kill herself. Obviously, she played with a fire she wanted to understand & was easily duped. Not the first time in the human history that this has happened and it will happen again no matter the fuss made by over-protective busy-bodies. Sorry, but she should not have been so extremely serious about it & there is no doubt more here then what the media draws attention to for sensationalism.

Also, where was the support in the community, beyond her parents? Or is this some high & mighty religious place these kids are from, full of a hypocritical morality? For the adults in the neighbourhood to be so callous...

Old 10-22-2012, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Her parents definitely knew and were trying to do everything they could to help her, including helping her to change schools 3 times.

As for the bullies, schools do not do enough. There was a news story recently about a film crew who was about to interview a kid who had been bullied at his school. While cameras were rollling the bullies chased the kid down and were going to beat him up. They didn't even care that they would be caught on camera, they were so used to getting away with it. The day before he had responded by fighting back and he got punished by the school.

The video is here:

Teen Attacked During TV Interview on Bullying - YouTube
True enough, why children/teenagers with such cruel pathologies aren't more attended to is a subject that does need further attention & action.

Part of this 'mean' visibility is due to more attention as brought by examples via the above vid, part of the reason for this new meaness is due to the fact that children want to be a star in a vid such as the one you linked.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:16 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,274,634 times
Quote:
So you think it is OK and "just kids being kids" for 20 of them to gang up and beat a girl and leave her incapacitated in a ditch. That is what you think would be OK to happen to a child of yours when they go to school?

How was she bullied? I'm not even going to bother to explain to you. Just read up on it some more.
Ive read all I need to know. She was ganged up and beaten, for KNOWINGLY going to a male friends house, when she KNEW he had a girlfriend. The victim admits this herself and says she went anyway. While at the house, what do you think she did with him? Again, play chess? She went to this guy's house, had sex with him, and his girlfriend got mad and beat the girls a$$. And? Happens every single day, all across the United States. And, moreover, many people have been murdered over it. I'm not saying the violence and/or murdering is correct, I'm saying it occurs. This is REAL LIFE out here. Not your fantasyland, of rainbows and fluffy clouds. Real life is mean, nasty and dirty.

This "victim" had psychological problems alot deeper then being "bullied." For she was not bullied. She was picked on, by being strange and weird. SHE brought on alot of her own problems and now we are supposed to feel sorry for her? Sorry. I don't.

Millions of men and women, all across this country have been truly "bullied." Right now, they are productive members of society. As I said, this girl was ticking time bomb and would have exploded, sooner of later.

Old 10-22-2012, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mörkrädd View Post
More severe punishment and accountability. That would be a good start. An end to the culture of victim blaming that plagues American culture would be another good start.
Perhaps that culture of Canadian victim blaming would be more pertinent. And victims aren't blameless but why bother with convolution or honesty?

Old 10-22-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Ive read all I need to know. She was ganged up and beaten, for KNOWINGLY going to a male friends house, when she KNEW he had a girlfriend. The victim admits this herself and says she went anyway. While at the house, what do you think she did with him? Again, play chess? She went to this guy's house, had sex with him, and his girlfriend got mad and beat the girls a$$. And? Happens every single day, all across the United States. And, moreover, many people have been murdered over it. I'm not saying the violence and/or murdering is correct, I'm saying it occurs. This is REAL LIFE out here. Not your fantasyland, of rainbows and fluffy clouds. Real life is mean, nasty and dirty.

This "victim" had psychological problems alot deeper then being "bullied." For she was not bullied. She was picked on, by being strange and weird. SHE brought on alot of her own problems and now we are supposed to feel sorry for her? Sorry. I don't.

Millions of men and women, all across this country have been truly "bullied." Right now, they are productive members of society. As I said, this girl was ticking time bomb and would have exploded, sooner of later.
For some, it is just easier to absolve 'victims' of any & all responsibility. It makes for good attention and fat lawsuits and more control over everyday life to bring an unrealistic sense of togetherness in human affairs. Some people forget that life is not a theory or have bad past experiences to work out. No one wants to admit that a 'victim' is wrong even if that person goes on to become a psychopath or sociopath or a common ordinary person.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:04 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,355 times
At times I start to think that bullies are mental. I find it hard for any sane person to know that they are tormenting someone yet continue.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:26 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,437,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
At times I start to think that bullies are mental. I find it hard for any sane person to know that they are tormenting someone yet continue.
I was a victim of bullying in grade school, and the one who got punished for it by school administration whenever I stood up to it, AND I was suicidal because of the bullying. Not to mention my grades suffered severely (went from top of the class to the bottom five in one year.)

It was a real gradual thing, as the victim I didn't realize that it was stating out as bullying, by the time I did, it was too late to stop. It went from being shunned by certain kids on the play ground, to name calling, to rumors being spread, to being tattled on for things I didn't do, nor was even physically close by, to "accidental" shoving, to overt shoving, to punches, tripping, and eventually having to run a gauntlet of kids to get home from school - even though I lived only two blocks away. Several times they even followed me up to the door and tried to force their way into the house, only the dogs barking stopped them.

In retrospect, I don't think the bullies realized it themselves either. I can't forgive them for what they did, but I don't put the blame 100% on themselves. Part of it was a lack of indifference on the school administrations side and teachers not seeing the signs, to parents on both sides ignoring the problem. In some ways if I had been severely hurt instead of bruised I would have been better off in the long run.

While conjecture, at a certain point I'm pretty sure that two of my bullies were abused by their fathers at home too and I became a convenient target for their own frustrations.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:11 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,882,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
I was a victim of bullying in grade school, and the one who got punished for it by school administration whenever I stood up to it, AND I was suicidal because of the bullying. Not to mention my grades suffered severely (went from top of the class to the bottom five in one year.)

It was a real gradual thing, as the victim I didn't realize that it was stating out as bullying, by the time I did, it was too late to stop. It went from being shunned by certain kids on the play ground, to name calling, to rumors being spread, to being tattled on for things I didn't do, nor was even physically close by, to "accidental" shoving, to overt shoving, to punches, tripping, and eventually having to run a gauntlet of kids to get home from school - even though I lived only two blocks away. Several times they even followed me up to the door and tried to force their way into the house, only the dogs barking stopped them.

In retrospect, I don't think the bullies realized it themselves either. I can't forgive them for what they did, but I don't put the blame 100% on themselves. Part of it was a lack of indifference on the school administrations side and teachers not seeing the signs, to parents on both sides ignoring the problem. In some ways if I had been severely hurt instead of bruised I would have been better off in the long run.

While conjecture, at a certain point I'm pretty sure that two of my bullies were abused by their fathers at home too and I became a convenient target for their own frustrations.

And this is exactly why Bullying needs to become a course in school or be merged with the class of Health.

It's sad that many overlook those who are bullied.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:04 PM

861 posts, read 1,249,468 times
Quote:
A teenager in Canada posted a youtube video about her years of bullying and torment at the hands of classmates, including being beaten by a bunch of girls and left in a ditch.

Yesterday she committed suicide.

What is wrong with kids? Can bullying EVER be stopped? -- I just don't get it.

Bullied Canadian teen leaves behind chilling YouTube video - CNN.com
That's a sad and all too common situation. I think the recent anti bullying campaign is a wonderful thing and hope it has a effect on it's intended audience. But I have my doubts as this problem is incideous as it is rooted in problems of self esteem that trump any soft touch commercial campaign. Perhaps tryiing children as adults is coming into fashion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates