Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 12:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2DAC1985 View Post
Breath taking response! Thoroughly captivating! Absolutely imaginative!
Thank you.

Quote:
Care to elaborate?
No.

Quote:
Or should the Mod of Great Debates just delete this now?
Nah.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Quote:
I looked through those threads.

But here's the thing: We can find out so much information simply through the electronic devices we use.
Quote:

Remember the "Burger King employee stepping in the lettuce" photo?

Burger King Employee Posts Photo Of Himself Stepping In Lettuce, Gets Busted By 4chan Users [UPDATED]

That employee was discovered using GPS data encoded INSIDE the photo.

That's just a photo. Not an IP address. I find it very doubtful that a website (especially City-Data) doesn't have the ability to "see" where someone is posting from, or posting from on a regular basis. City-Data knows I'm posting from the 60625. That information is theirs to take if they so wish.

And given their (City-Data) huge library of "places", it would seem like it's a quick fix to cross reference the places they have on record (including abbreviations, current slang terms, etc.) in their database with someone's "location".

Someone posted their location as "NYC Not Your Couch"

Really? Not my couch? So... what? That pretty much leaves EVERY SINGLE OTHER PLACE ON EARTH as their possible location. Or do they really mean New York City, aka NYC?

If City-Data can't enforce this requirement, ban/reprimand people for not adhering to it, then I would suggest they get rid of the whole "location" tidbit all together.
What a crappy idea....and when you mention ban or reprimand people, it's quite a ridiculous idea.
That information is voluntary and it should be voluntary.

"NYC Not Your Couch" means anywhere on earth to you? Lol! They told you, NYC! What's the problem?

Can't agree with you....leave CityData as it is - with the right to privacy.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:44 PM

1,312 posts, read 1,869,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Thank you.

No.

Nah.
Have you read the standards for this forum?

Old 10-15-2012, 12:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,230,433 times
If it was required I would not be here, besides I have moved 8 times in 5 years and I can barely remember the current location.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
What a crappy idea....and when you mention ban or reprimand people, it's quite a ridiculous idea.

"NYC Not Your Couch" means anywhere on earth to you? Lol! They told you, NYC! What's the problem?

But this is a PRIVATE endeavor by the owners/operators of this site, correct?

They CAN demand anything they want if you want to participate in their PRIVATE endeavor, correct?

If I said I was "IND In No Doghouse", would you assume I lived in Indiana, or I was on good terms with my spouse?

If I said I was in "La La Land", would you assume I lived in Lafayette, Louisanna... Los Angeles... or a mental hospital?

If I said I was in "ABQ A Brief Quarrel", would you assume I was in Albuquerque, New Mexico, or I was in a quick fight with someone/someplace?

And finally, right to "privacy" is only something that the government can be upheld to. Private businesses can make you do anything they want (within the laws) to allow you the use of their product.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:51 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,224,595 times
That's good stuff!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post

You have no rights here. This is a voluntary forum. If you don't like the rules, feel free to not participate.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
If it was required I would not be here, besides I have moved 8 times in 5 years and I can barely remember the current location.
If you can barely remember where you currently live, I certainly hope you don't drive anywhere!

Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,591,053 times
My opinion is that enforcing or grabbing location won't change much of anything.

Illegitimate: Posters can put whatever real location they want there whether it's where they're located now or not. If a poster is intent on stirring up drama online, a field that populates automatically with their current state won't be much of a deterrent.

Legitimate: Posters can live in two or more different states/countries at a time and/or travel extensively for weeks or months. Posters also might be living in one state now but have lived in one or more other states or countries in their lifetime. Much of what I just described applies to my own situation - living in two different states concurrently, lots of travel, lived in other places.

Place isn't the only thing that influences perspective or legitimizes a person's comments. If you're interested in where someone is or has been, you can always ask and decide for yourself if their answer is honest or not.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
Quote:
Have you read the standards for this forum?
I have. And since we're apparently gonna play the "armchair moderator" game, I fail to see how this frivolous topic merits a "great debate." This is hardly one of the pressing issues of our time. If anything it belongs in the About the Forum forum.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Ohhhhh......now I see what's wrong here! Y'all are real messed up and that's why you hang here in Great Debates!

I had heard about this place....only reason I stopped by here is that I saw the thread title when looking at the list of forums.

....and we do have the "right" to privacy of location simply because CityData allows us that.

....and if someone writes ABQ I figure they're from New Mexico - not whatever stupid thing the poster said about a fight. Lol...!

I'm out of here....just came to say what a dumb idea the whole premise is.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates