Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 06:52 PM

638 posts, read 1,591,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Simply a reflection of your bias against the organization and that is fine. No organization has 100%n approval. Actually, many that have not walk the walk tend to be negative. Have you ever run an organization of such magnitude? If so, I am also very sure there are people that may comment about you the same way as you are of Susan G. Komen. Take care.
As someone keeps repeating "it's all subjective". I have my opinions about these things as you do yours.

However.. I am hardly biased against fund-raising organizations for worthy causes. I've done my share of fund raising so maybe that's why I'm so "negative". We do our work for free because we felt it's a worthy cause. Everyone donates their time.

One thing we don't have to worry about is someone saying we did it for profit. And not one of us has their name broadcasted nationwide or been placed on a pedistal for their "good",
"fine" works while collecting nearly a half mil/yr.

"Take care"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 07:00 PM

638 posts, read 1,591,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogMomDeb View Post
Actually I would be more interested in how much was spent in suing other organizations for using the phrase "race for cure".

Why do the Komen have a problem with this if it is simply all about getting the word out about diseases and illnesses, etc.?

from Huffington post - During his "Tip of the Hat, Wag of the Finger" segment last night, Stephen Colbert satirically tipped his hat to the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation after learning from HuffPost that the foundation has been using donor money to go after smaller charities who have the audacity to use the phrase "for the Cure" in their own efforts to battle cancer.
"Anybody who knows me knows I am a huge supporter of the Susan G. Komen for the Cure foundation, which raises millions of dollars a year in the fight against breast cancer . . . So I'm giving a big Tip of my Hat to the Komen foundation for spending almost a million dollars a year in donor funds to sue these other groups. If they don't own the phrase "for the Cure," then people might donate money thinking it's going to an organization dedicated to curing cancer, when instead it's wasted on organizations dedicated to curing cancer."

Thank you! This helps make my point. Add this to my list of superfluous expenditures from donor contributions.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:12 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,608,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post
As someone keeps repeating "it's all subjective". I have my opinions about these things as you do yours.

However.. I am hardly biased against fund-raising organizations for worthy causes. I've done my share of fund raising so maybe that's why I'm so "negative". We do our work for free because we felt it's a worthy cause. Everyone donates their time.

One thing we don't have to worry about is someone saying we did it for profit. And not one of us has their name broadcasted nationwide or been placed on a pedistal for their "good",

"Take care"
That is great you do charitable work for free.

But individuals who are employed in non-profit have a right to earn a living. They can't just donate their entire working life to a charity unless they are independently wealthy.

The bottom line is that a salary of $440,000 per year is not out of line for the head of a large non-profit organization that brings in billions. I would rather that organization exist and make billions for breast cancer than reduce the salary so that top people are no longer attracted to the position.

Old 10-26-2012, 02:12 AM

15,466 posts, read 10,382,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Here is one hot topic that came up on my Facebook. Nancy Brinker the CEO/Founder of Susan G Komen for the cure made a BASE salary of $417K last year. Is that too much? Do non profit charity executives deserve high salaries?

She is a very qualified candidate and deserves a high paycheck. But as the CEO of a charity organization she should be given a modest salary. What are your thoughts?

Nancy Brinker's Salary Raises Questions
The board votes on her salary, so they must think she's worth it. Plus, she's been working 24/7 for years now. So, NO I don't think her salary is too high. Here's a random run down from a few charities I found on the BBB website (her salary looks inline to me):

John R Seffrin CEO American Cancer Society $2,401,112
Margaret Foti CEO American Association for Cancer Research $670,918
Cathy Brown CEO American Heart Association $646,007
Jennifer Howse CEO March of Dimes $641,760
Kathy Cloninger CEO Girl Scouts of America $621,137
Gail J McGovern CEO American Red Cross $561,210
Neil J Nicholl CEO National Council of Young Christian Men $466,638
Marilyn Gentry CEO American Institute for Cancer Research $454,873
*Nancy Brinker CEO Susan B Komen $417,171
*Sammy Mah CEO World Relief Corp of National Association of Evangelicals $323,302 (no disclosure >2010)
Kenneth Hackett CEO Catholic Relief Services $322,422

*The newspaper linked in the OP (The Christian Post) is part of the World Relief Corp of the National Association of Evangelicals. So, we come to find out this isn't about the money. It's about totally trying to destroy the woman. Good grief, we are all human, we all screw up. Frankly, I'm tired of all the petty ankle biting. It's real simple folks, don't give to it if you don't want to.

Last edited by elan; 10-26-2012 at 02:30 AM..

Old 10-26-2012, 01:46 PM

41,478 posts, read 59,569,414 times
400k in a workd of 40 mm execs IS a reasonable salary. Just put a 50% income tax on it.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:16 PM

582 posts, read 1,114,902 times
Yes, I agree the salary seems to be a tad excessive; however, the cynic in me can't help but wonder if anyone would give a rat's *** about the salary if the person in question were a man.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
The board votes on her salary, so they must think she's worth it. Plus, she's been working 24/7 for years now. So, NO I don't think her salary is too high. Here's a random run down from a few charities I found on the BBB website (her salary looks inline to me):

*Sammy Mah CEO World Relief Corp of National Association of Evangelicals $323,302 (no disclosure >2010)
THANK you.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevergirl05 View Post
Yes, I agree the salary seems to be a tad excessive; however, the cynic in me can't help but wonder if anyone would give a rat's *** about the salary if the person in question were a man.
That's exactly what I've been thinking. Or if it wasn't a womans health charity.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:04 PM

3,494 posts, read 4,534,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryjane55us View Post

"Take care"
LOL!! I get the feeling that copying my "Take care" does not have the same intent as mine which is a simple courtesy greeting as an ending. It gave me this perception of negative sarcasm. I do wish I am wrong.

Now, I am aware that when I said it is subjective it applies to me. I know that. It means that for personal reasons based on views people do have their minds made up in general terms. It is something based on values.

You do your work for free? Good, I am truly proud of you. I do my share of countless hours working in the community with different organizations for free. However, I am not goin go gauge other organizations like Susan G. Komen as negative because I do it for free. Actually, because they hire people to pay them has resulted in an organization that has grown so much and has been recognized by countless people as doing good for a worhty cause.

What organization can you cite that it is run by 100% non-paid personnel of that magnitude. You quote me one. I truly doubt there is one. I could be wrong. When you wrote " we don't have to worry about is someone saying we did it for profit." Are you saying you belong to an organization that does it 100% for free that no one gets paid a single cent to run it? If so, I would like to know what organization it is. Now, it is possible you may be part of a small group that is for a good cause and it is not large enough to require to pay people to run. I am curious. Care to let me know what organization you belong to?

On the last paragraph, I do give classes on volunteering. One of them is volunteer management. In the class I give the question I present is "why do people volunteer?" The reality is that some people volunteer for altruistic purposes, others to network, others to look good in the community, others to put something in their resumes, etc. That is reality.
The next thing I do is give an example: If I feed a homeless individual, do you really think that individual cares whether I feed him if I do it to look good in front of others? I do not think so. So I do not care if someone does get paid to raise and organization to higher levels of excellence and increases the good it does for others. The bottom line I say to people that tend to find fault, be part of the problem or be part of the solution.

Bottom line? They are doing a lot of good to a lot of people and it reflects by the myriads that are out there volunteering and the myriads of testimonies thanking the organization. You do not approve of their methods, OK, keep doing your good where you feel you like it more. Want to put down others for doing it in a different way, your prerogative. Take care.

Old 10-30-2012, 03:43 PM

3,875 posts, read 6,781,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

*The newspaper linked in the OP (The Christian Post) is part of the World Relief Corp of the National Association of Evangelicals. So, we come to find out this isn't about the money. It's about totally trying to destroy the woman. Good grief, we are all human, we all screw up. Frankly, I'm tired of all the petty ankle biting. It's real simple folks, don't give to it if you don't want to.
Just because the whole system is corrupt and overpaid doesn't prove that Nancy Brinker's salary is "fair". I do agree with the bolded but of course not everyone is aware of her salary and the charities spending. That is why I brought this thread to life. I wanted to shed light on the topic and discuss what others thought. Hence why its in a Great Debates section.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates