Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 10:00 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,157,442 times

Advertisements

The cost of locking up criminals is much cheaper than the cost of crime on society. I do think non-violent offenders should be out picking apples, or something like that, rather than being locked up with hard core criminals. However, id theft is a non-violent crime but a nightmare for the victim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 04:49 PM

4,531 posts, read 8,820,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
We could easily lower our incarceration rate if we didn't make prisons so nice. Take away all the entertainment/Tv, take away the free education and medical care, make them work at hard labor, like farming etc, then people would look to prison with fear and then fewer people would commit crimes because they really don't want to go to prison. That's part of the reason these other countries have lower incarceration rates. Watch some shows like "locked up abroad", and you'll see what I mean.
I agree with you 100%. I worked in our state's (NE) Maximum Security facility for ten years. I am a firm believer in a system where the inmate must EARN privileges. Things like TV, Books, Magazines, Mail, Visits, Hot Meals etc are privileges not RIGHTS. They should start at ZERO and after a length of time with perfect behavior privileges could be earned but LOST if they have a misconduct report.
GL2

Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,672,041 times
There are a lot of laws that are only 'on the books' because the govt cant get their share so they make it illegal for YOU to get YOUR share. Look at bookmaking for example. If you're a bookie and get caught, you could go to prison. Its 'illegal' to book someone else's sports bets because 'big brother' doesnt get their share of the pie, so, they make it illegal for you do to that too. Should a 'bookie' be put in jail? Is he really a 'threat' to society?

Old 12-16-2012, 11:27 AM

4,531 posts, read 8,820,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
There are a lot of laws that are only 'on the books' because the govt cant get their share so they make it illegal for YOU to get YOUR share. Look at bookmaking for example. If you're a bookie and get caught, you could go to prison. Its 'illegal' to book someone else's sports bets because 'big brother' doesnt get their share of the pie, so, they make it illegal for you do to that too. Should a 'bookie' be put in jail? Is he really a 'threat' to society?
My problem with "bookies" is the way they collect debts. Same for loan sharks.

GL2

Old 12-20-2012, 05:43 PM

2,866 posts, read 3,612,693 times
The problem we get into with drugs/alcohol and not limiting or punishing for their abuse is then we get the addicts going in and out of rehab continually like it is a flop house at the public expense. I for one am tired of seeing my tax dollars going towards persons that don't take rehab seriously and just want a place to sleep for the night until their next drunk/fix. I see this A LOT where I currently work and am loath to it. You commit a crime while drunk or high you get treated like ANY OTHER criminal, no excuses. You truly want help to dry up/get clean, fine, you get three shots at it, after that the bill is on your head, NOT the publics, TAKE IT SERIOUSLY. You want to get drunk/high and s**t and p**s all over yourself and lay around, oh well, it sucks to be you. Sorry, I have no sympathy.

Old 03-14-2013, 05:14 AM

1 posts, read 1,026 times
What Is the crime and time for stealing a gun from family member to buy or trade heroin in cincinnati, ohio

Last edited by MamasDONE; 03-14-2013 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: add a word

Old 03-14-2013, 01:11 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elfstorage View Post
The U.S.A has the largest incarceration rate in the world...larger than China (which is four times larger and supposedly more repressive). How can warehousing millions of our citizens in our jails for years and years be good for our country? It costs an estimated $47,000 a year to warehouse EACH inmate. Multiply that by 2,200,000 prisoners (there were 500,000 prisoners in 1980). and you get 103 BILLION dollars a year (NASA's budget is 16 billion). Not including the cost to society when they are released after years of wasting away in prison.

Should we stop sending people to prison that are non-violent offenders and that have not commited a crime against any individual (ie drug possession, which cost billions more to wage war on, but that's another debate).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._world_map.png
You do reralise that China executes people for mnay charge not hold them it jail?Alos if the represetative of the people creat a dlaw and its upheld bu supreme court ;the yes they should be jailed.Jail is to take them out of scoirty and can be a felony which means its considered a serious crie aginst society.Otehrs are normally less tha a year in misdeamnors.

Old 03-17-2013, 10:24 PM

157 posts, read 184,329 times
I don't think anyone belongs in jail. Horsewhip them 5 lashes for first offense, 15 lashes the second time, and 3rd time, just shoot em, cause they aint gonna learn. However, about 90 % of what are currently crimes should not be on the books, either.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:21 PM

85 posts, read 191,530 times
Everyone has there own valid points here. I have never myself been arrested,thank goodness,but have known a few who have. It's my emotional,uneducated persons opinion that people who are imprisoned for non violent crimes should not be housed with murders and sexual offenders.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:24 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,979,878 times
Should non-violent offenders and people who do not commit crimes against others be put in jail?

Depends on the circumstances.
I think one of those monitoring devices that goes on the ankle could be used more and house arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates