U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 01:57 PM

34,525 posts, read 42,694,765 times

Advertisements

I feel a little conflicted about this. Of course, I don't want a pedophile living in the same neighborhood as my children, and if he does, I want to know not to hire him as a babysitter. However, there's a difference between the guy who got caught peeing in the bushes at midnight a bit close to the grade school, and the child molester. I do not want to label the first guy too severely.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 PM

1,416 posts, read 1,479,610 times
Yes,sex offenders need to be publicized. Whether your a child molestor, rapist, or someone who just gropes random people, your neighborhood should be aware of it.

Murders as well.

Drug dealers? I disagree.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:17 PM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Y'all need to check the reality of what a sex offender is before you label all of them child predators.

I know a guy who's brother was drinking at a bar (in Ohio). He had too much to drink and decided to walk home instead of driving (seems like the more responsible thing to do). However, along the way home, he had to urinate. Turning down an alley, he relieved himself along a fence. It just so happened that some police were in the area and arrested him. He is now a registered sex offender for exposing himself.

Did he do wrong? In some ways... but I have had to publically "relieve" myself when there were no restrooms around... I just never got caught or was too near a populated area at the time. But what happened to him scared me to death when I looked back at it.

Now... I'm not defending sex offenders in any way. I just want people to be educated that there's different levels.

I live in west Texas, and I received a post-card type of notification that a sex offender (who had been tied to child offending) was in our neighborhood. It had a black and white photo along with the address.

I, personally, do not think I have to go out of my way for this individual. I will not harass him. I will not stalk him. I did, however, advise my children (who are 19 and 15) that this individual was in the area. But, since I don't know all the circumstances around the incident, I'm not going to jump to conclusions. And, apparently he did do his jail time.
I am talking only about people who molest children....small children...

Old 10-31-2012, 02:20 PM

25,454 posts, read 23,266,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Type O Negative View Post
There are cases where one is labeled a sex offender unjust, like the 18 year old guy and 16-17 year old girlfriend.
Other than that or similar cases....execute all sex offenders.
there are few and far between...and I understand, however, there are way more child molesters then cases as such...I'm talking about the person, man or woman, who goes after children only...

for instance a teacher, male or female....when I was in 9th grade, we had a female teacher who went after young boys....sick

I'm talking also about a man or woman who molests small children....

Old 10-31-2012, 02:22 PM

4,524 posts, read 4,853,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I feel a little conflicted about this. Of course, I don't want a pedophile living in the same neighborhood as my children, and if he does, I want to know not to hire him as a babysitter. However, there's a difference between the guy who got caught peeing in the bushes at midnight a bit close to the grade school, and the child molester. I do not want to label the first guy too severely.
I agree.

Years ago I came home to find a note on my apartment door that a sex offender had moved into my area.
Long story short: I called to find out what the deal was.
The guy was caught with a prostitute who was a month shy of being 18.

Now I'm certainly not saying this is a good thing.. but this is not the same as an adult preying on helpless children.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:25 PM

20,979 posts, read 15,612,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have always had a bit of a problem with publicizing where sex offenders live by warning people they are moving into their neighborhood. Surely, some of these people are beyond help (in which case I don't understand why they're being freed), but for those who want to get on with their lives, doesn't this practice basically make that improbable?

If a person has served their time in prison, haven't they then paid their "debt to society"?

Why are sex offenders singled out? Why not drug dealers, attempted murderers, and drunk drivers?
If one is a child molester or a rapist, yes. The neighbors should rightfully know that there is a monster in their midst.

If one was accused of "statutory rape", for instance a 19 year old having consensual sex with a 17 year old, then no.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:44 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
There's no national murderer registry, but Kansas has an offender registry subdivided between sex offenders, violent offenders, and drug offenders. Murderers are definitely on there...

Public Offender Registry
I think KS has the best one. Now, I use it and it is more specific about what the sexual offense was. We had a neighbor behind us that was on the list and what he had done was "moon" someone in a passing car BUT this is about two blocks from the middle school and the kids saw it. I think parents need to educate their sons about having sex with underage girls because there are going to be parents that will prosecute. The law is still the law. And, "Oh, he didn't know she was underage?" Well, did he know her well enough to be having sex with her then?

I think too that it is pretty much known that peeing in public can get you on the list so if you can't be discreet you know the chances you are taking.

Yes, they should list them. I once outprocessed an older man that did time for child molestation. It said in his file that he was at the highest level when it comes to the chances of him re-offending. He had been molesting his own children (boy and girl) and when they had a party at the house, he decided to branch out and molested some of the kids there. He told me how anxious he was to get home to his wife. I am guessing that the kids were taken away. Also outprocessed a guy whose wife was the lookout at the park while he molested two little girls. So, it isn't hard for me to decide about what is fair since I had to sit by and look in the faces of these pervs who acted like they had nothing wrong. I'd give them the death penalty and they wouldn't have to worry about being listed!

Old 10-31-2012, 05:01 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,152,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have always had a bit of a problem with publicizing where sex offenders live by warning people they are moving into their neighborhood. Surely, some of these people are beyond help (in which case I don't understand why they're being freed), but for those who want to get on with their lives, doesn't this practice basically make that improbable?

If a person has served their time in prison, haven't they then paid their "debt to society"?

Why are sex offenders singled out? Why not drug dealers, attempted murderers, and drunk drivers?
I agree on all levels. We shouldn't let people out if they are dangerous . . . period. If they do let them out, regardless of the crime, we should be notified.

If they aren't dangerous and served their time, then yes, they have paid their debt.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,152,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If one is a child molester or a rapist, yes. The neighbors should rightfully know that there is a monster in their midst.

If one was accused of "statutory rape", for instance a 19 year old having consensual sex with a 17 year old, then no.
I agree with this one. See this article.

Full pardon for sex offender who has been married to victim for a decade TCPalm.com

Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM

19,189 posts, read 14,057,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
There could be an issue with that. The particular male or female may be pushing it and may be targeting more than one girl. I think you would need to look at it case by case to see exactly what is going on. This reminds me of the teacher at a high school, older guy, that got an underage girl pregnant. He married her and moved to another state. Many people thought because he married her that it was alright then. There are probably a few men I would rather marry than go to prison! The issue becomes that we pardon a little here and a little there and pretty soon most walk free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or