U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 01:56 AM

9,121 posts, read 11,666,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have always had a bit of a problem with publicizing where sex offenders live by warning people they are moving into their neighborhood. Surely, some of these people are beyond help (in which case I don't understand why they're being freed), but for those who want to get on with their lives, doesn't this practice basically make that improbable?

If a person has served their time in prison, haven't they then paid their "debt to society"?

Why are sex offenders singled out? Why not drug dealers, attempted murderers, and drunk drivers?
Because people are looking out for theirs children , and that's the way to go about doing that.....

Old 11-02-2012, 04:28 AM

7,142 posts, read 8,432,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Because people are looking out for theirs children , and that's the way to go about doing that.....
No, thats not the way to do it. People are not looking out for their children. They are shrugged off their responsibility to their children and expecting the government to look out for their children for them. Which is not an effective way to protect children. There is no evidence that these sex offender registration laws are doing anything to protect children.

Its just more big brother police state mentality that is setting in in this country. Lets trade a little bit of our freedom so we can have a USA PATRIOT Act to protect us from the terrorists. And lets give up a little bit more of our freedom so we can have a Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, to protect our children from pedophiles. Oh, and lets trade a bit more of our freedom to protect us from...

Old 11-02-2012, 06:40 AM

19,189 posts, read 14,062,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
No, thats not the way to do it. People are not looking out for their children. They are shrugged off their responsibility to their children and expecting the government to look out for their children for them. Which is not an effective way to protect children. There is no evidence that these sex offender registration laws are doing anything to protect children.

Its just more big brother police state mentality that is setting in in this country. Lets trade a little bit of our freedom so we can have a USA PATRIOT Act to protect us from the terrorists. And lets give up a little bit more of our freedom so we can have a Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act, to protect our children from pedophiles. Oh, and lets trade a bit more of our freedom to protect us from...
Disagree. Parents are being responsible by checking those registries. I always check them before we make a move into a neighborhood as do many other parents. It is not about giving up freedom to try to avoid having a pedophile living next door. Those people are pure evil and many kill their victims. So, in the mind of the parent who avoids moving next door to one of these pervs, the registration laws are helping to protect the children and that won't be measured out in some study but it is just a fact.

If the government finds it fair to put someone back on the street that is a verified danger to others, the government has the responsibility to help protect the potential victims and the registration does do that.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:06 PM

35 posts, read 39,986 times
Quote:

So I guess you are opposed to the "Amber Alert" system too? I'm curious if you even have children.

As for trading in our freedom...We are not, and will never be, completely "free". Do we have more rights and privileges than other countries--yes; but we also have a government that makes laws and guidelines we MUST live by so that we have some kind of order, otherwise we would be an uncivilized country if people were completely "free" to do whatever they want. It cracks me up when people whine about the government having too much power but then when something goes awry they blame the government for not taking the necessary measures to prevent it.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:41 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,777,834 times
Absolutely! They should be required to register and be thrown in prison if they fail to do so. We need to protect children from sick people that prey on them. They cannot be rehabbed. Period. No way. And thanks to the internet it just makes is available anytime they want....when the high from sitting in front of a computer no longer works, you'll find them looking for some child in the neighborhoods or school or malls. At the very least they should live in a place where they know a bad person lives.
If you want to protect their "rights" then they should be castrated.
These pedophiles cost taxpayers a lot of money in the end....when they need drug/alcohol counseling, or they end up in prison perpetuating the abuse or inflicted on them.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Disagree. Parents are being responsible by checking those registries. I always check them before we make a move into a neighborhood as do many other parents. It is not about giving up freedom to try to avoid having a pedophile living next door. Those people are pure evil and many kill their victims. So, in the mind of the parent who avoids moving next door to one of these pervs, the registration laws are helping to protect the children and that won't be measured out in some study but it is just a fact.

If the government finds it fair to put someone back on the street that is a verified danger to others, the government has the responsibility to help protect the potential victims and the registration does do that.
1. The parents are stupid if they think they are protecting their children by checking those sex offender registries. They are stupid if they think their kids are not going to get molested, just because a registered sex offender doesn't live in their neighborhood. If the parents are responsible, they will be checking on their children, not checking the sex offender registries.

2. Whether or not certain people are evil or not is beside the point. All people have a right to due process under the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution. Either everybody has rights or nobody has rights.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1775

Old 11-02-2012, 04:24 PM

Quote:
1. The parents are stupid if they think they are protecting their children by checking those sex offender registries. They are stupid if they think their kids are not going to get molested, just because a registered sex offender doesn't live in their neighborhood. If the parents are responsible, they will be checking on their children, not checking the sex offender registries.

2. Whether or not certain people are evil or not is beside the point. All people have a right to due process under the Fifth Amendment to the United States Constitution. Either everybody has rights or nobody has rights.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin - 1775

So now parents are stupid? Why because they want extra safety measures in addition to watching over their kids themselves? You are stupid to assume that parents ONLY check sex registries and don't take care of their children as well. I will use any means possible, myself and government programs included, to protect my children. I would rather live in a town that maybe has a couple registered sex-offenders than a town that maybe has 80 because I was responsible enough to take 5 minutes and check an online registry; even if you think it doesn't make a difference...I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my children. Funny, you never answered if you had any.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swtmarie View Post
So I guess you are opposed to the "Amber Alert" system too? I'm curious if you even have children.

As for trading in our freedom...We are not, and will never be, completely "free". Do we have more rights and privileges than other countries--yes; but we also have a government that makes laws and guidelines we MUST live by so that we have some kind of order, otherwise we would be an uncivilized country if people were completely "free" to do whatever they want. It cracks me up when people whine about the government having too much power but then when something goes awry they blame the government for not taking the necessary measures to prevent it.
We are not going to have more rights then other countries, if you people keep giving our rights up.

As for the Amber Alert system. I don't really know enough information to have an opinion on it. But my first impressions of it are that its just another useless "feel good" program. What does it do? Has any child ever been saved by it? When I'm driving down the freeway and see a sigh that says, "Amber Alert - License XXX-000" what am I supposed to do? Stop my car in the middle of the freeway, write down the license number, and start looking for that car? That doesn't seem very safe, so I just do the same thing I see every other driver do, ignore it.

Old 11-02-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swtmarie View Post
So now parents are stupid? Why because they want extra safety measures in addition to watching over their kids themselves? You are stupid to assume that parents ONLY check sex registries and don't take care of their children as well. I will use any means possible, myself and government programs included, to protect my children. I would rather live in a town that maybe has a couple registered sex-offenders than a town that maybe has 80 because I was responsible enough to take 5 minutes and check an online registry; even if you think it doesn't make a difference...I'd rather be safe than sorry when it comes to my children. Funny, you never answered if you had any.
If you are naive enough to believe that checking sex offended registries, is a safety measure to protect your children, then I have zero faith in your parenting skills. What about all of the pedophiles who could be living right next door to you, and are not even on the registries? Either because they have never been caught, or they are no longer required to report, or are just not compiling with the law.

Old 11-02-2012, 05:10 PM

So because we can't possibly know everythingwe shouldn't bother informing ourselves with what is available to us? In that case, why do people even bother checking crime statistics at all? By your way of thinking, if you move into a high-crime area as opposed to a low-crime area, do you not have a higher chance of becoming a victim of a crime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or