Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 08:48 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Ah to heck with them, THEY decided to stay around those people so whatever happens to them it's their own fault right?. I'd bet many are thinking just exactly that.
I can't believe how wound up the mass media has gotten people about ONE thing almost like there's no other dangers to people/kids out there.
Jeez, get a grip. 1. Most times that list gives you very little idea what got the person on there to begin with. 2. Even if it shows the conviction you've got no idea of the "rest of the story" in other words what exactly happened or if that person is/was dangerous. 3.It's my understanding the rating system takes into account not just the offense that got the person on the list but any prior offenses over the lifetime. Sounds great right? Sure why not? Well, let's say the person had a colorful past during the late teen, young adult years like disorderly conduct,drugs and hey, lets toss in a couple of theft convictions as well. As I understand it that adds points to the final equation and could very well bump the level.
So, you've got a first offender, you've got no real idea "what happened" and this person is at a level 2 or possibly 3 NOT because of this crime but because years before there were totally unrelated crimes that have never been repeated.
Yep, that's a person you'd definitely be worried about.
Serial rapist? Yeah I'd probably not hire as a babysitter or daycare worker.
Sorry, just tired of the designer hysteria that just keeps on rolling. Next will be demands for something like the leper colonies of old.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:12 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,141 times
“‘The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people.’ .. as long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation. It is truly heartwarming to see how well this lesson has been learned by the American government. In the name of children, incursions into the private lives of American citizens have been made that we Nazis would have gazed at with open-mouthed admiration.” — Mein Kampf, Adolph Hitler, Page 403

It's amazing that things haven't changed much and in fact have gotten worse. Sad we haven't learned anything 70 years later

Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
3.It's my understanding the rating system takes into account not just the offense that got the person on the list but any prior offenses over the lifetime. Sounds great right? Sure why not? Well, let's say the person had a colorful past during the late teen, young adult years like disorderly conduct,drugs and hey, lets toss in a couple of theft convictions as well. As I understand it that adds points to the final equation and could very well bump the level.
So, you've got a first offender, you've got no real idea "what happened" and this person is at a level 2 or possibly 3 NOT because of this crime but because years before there were totally unrelated crimes that have
Actually, I think it depends on the state, and what they decide to use for tiering. In some cases they go by the age of the "victim" and not the crime at all

Old 01-25-2013, 06:43 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Actually, I think it depends on the state, and what they decide to use for tiering. In some cases they go by the age of the "victim" and not the crime at all
While you may be right I thought I'd heard or read that the tiers are now under federal guidelines. As for the Nazi reference, it's amazing really how many current and proposed actions dovetail what happened back then.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
While you may be right I thought I'd heard or read that the tiers are now under federal guidelines. As for the Nazi reference, it's amazing really how many current and proposed actions dovetail what happened back then.
Not all states are AWA compliant and even those that are have their differences.
I'm not saying that maybe some sort of registry isn't needed but what we have now is mainly unconstitutional,and there's no proof that it keeps anyone safe and a fair amount of proof that it has put innocent people in danger from vigilantes, has caused homelessness and job loss, and general instability.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:37 PM

A very well thought out piece

Why is America eating her young? « setmypeoplefree

Old 01-29-2013, 05:29 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Very true. A woman of my acquaintance is on Tier 3 for what was basically inappropriate exposure--no touching at all--but the "victim" was a toddler, and that's all that counts in this state.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:33 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,473,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
If I'm moving, I want to know if there are any sex offenders living in the area, that I choose not to move to....

you cannot compare a burglar to a sex offender....
You are implicitly comparing them by saying that, lol.

Of course you can compare them. Many sex offenses are victimless crimes. Burglary never is.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:03 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
Quote:
“‘The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people.’ .. as long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation. It is truly heartwarming to see how well this lesson has been learned by the American government. In the name of children, incursions into the private lives of American citizens have been made that we Nazis would have gazed at with open-mouthed admiration.” — Mein Kampf, Adolph Hitler, Page 403

It's amazing that things haven't changed much and in fact have gotten worse. Sad we haven't learned anything 70 years later
There was a spectacular example of Adolph Hitler's words being demonstrated in front of the nation, if not the world only a few days ago. Children wrote letters of concern and they were included. It's all about the children. The government is working for the benefit of children. Wow. That sounds so familiar! Where did I hear that.....? Oh, I got it! It's right above my post, authored by Hitler, Adolph Hitler.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:26 AM

585 posts, read 1,086,986 times
They don't put signs on paedophiles houses around here - but there is at least one website which will give you the name, description, address and photo of all convicted paedophiles in the area.

I've no idea whether it prevents crime by the paedo, encourages crime by those who might feel that they are entitled to commit a criminal act to obtain some sort of revenge or what.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates