Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 12:08 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,077,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Where I grew up (in a tiny community where everybody knew everybody else and knew everything about everybody else) there were between 0 and 2 paedos.

Neither had been convicted.

One was of 'modest' means the other was moderately famous (and fairly wealthy, too.)

Everybody knew who they were, everybody knew where they lived and that was that.

Three was no need for 'society', the law', 'my dad', or anybody else to get on their case. Our parents knew who they were, they knew that our parents knew.
Same here, we knew who the weirdos were, and kids stayed away. WOM is a powerful thing

Old 02-13-2013, 01:32 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kc chris View Post
Yes.

At the same time though, the scope of the sex offender registry needs to be narrowed down to the true threats: rapists, molesters, pedos and a few others. Not the drunk guy who peed on a dumpster in a back alley at 3am in public...
I concur. It takes very little to be a sex offender. I also think drunk drivers, especially ones who have caused injury to others, ought to be treated with the same disdain and also forbidden to drive ever again.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:45 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,670,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have always had a bit of a problem with publicizing where sex offenders live by warning people they are moving into their neighborhood. Surely, some of these people are beyond help (in which case I don't understand why they're being freed), but for those who want to get on with their lives, doesn't this practice basically make that improbable?

If a person has served their time in prison, haven't they then paid their "debt to society"?

Why are sex offenders singled out? Why not drug dealers, attempted murderers, and drunk drivers?
Probably due to the high recidivism rate and the fact that you are often dealing with societies most vulnerable people in children. If someone is going to commit such an abhorrent act then it is obviously not something that they will be able to stop so easily. It is a form of perverted addiction I suppose.

Old 02-20-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggunsmallbrains View Post
Probably due to the high recidivism rate and the fact that you are often dealing with societies most vulnerable people in children. If someone is going to commit such an abhorrent act then it is obviously not something that they will be able to stop so easily. It is a form of perverted addiction I suppose.
Actually the recidivism rate overall is quite low, according to the Dept. of Justice. If you are talking about actual active pedophiles, then yes it's higher...but the problem comes because "sex offender" is such a broad label, and one that's easy to get. In many states, all it takes is an accusation

Old 02-20-2013, 10:24 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,691,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Actually the recidivism rate overall is quite low, according to the Dept. of Justice. If you are talking about actual active pedophiles, then yes it's higher...but the problem comes because "sex offender" is such a broad label, and one that's easy to get. In many states, all it takes is an accusation
Sexual assault is extremely under-reported. It's naive to believe that rapists and molesters "learn the error of their ways" in prison and suddenly become model citizens.

A likely reason explaining why released rapists/molesters have a "lower" recidivism rate is because they learn from their first mistakes (getting caught) and they make sure that their victims don't report to law enforcement again.

Rapists enjoy invading, dominating and tormenting their victims. It's a pathological desire. I don't trust any of them. I don't care if they claim that they've "found God". It's all an act as far as I'm concerned.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:49 AM

1,122 posts, read 3,505,199 times
There seems to be a general belief that sex offenders are all child molesters who have abused small children but that's really not the case. Sex offenders can be anyone from a notorious pedophile to a 19-year old having sex with his 15-year old girlfriend to someone who, like a guy I know, pulled down his pants on a bus on a dare. In his registry it says that his victims were under the age of 14 because two 14-year olds on the bus saw him. If you don't know the details the registry makes it sound like he's a child molester which he of course isn't.

We do have to make sure that the public have a chance to protect themselves from people who are likely to be a threat, regardless of what type of crime they committed, but current sex offender laws are caused by hysteria and have gone way too far. The rules are unreasonable, set people up for failure and punish people who have done nothing wrong like the offender's family members. As it is right now in many states there is hardly nowhere sex offenders can live which also affect their families. I read about one couple with a small child, where the husband had been convicted of statutory rape, who had been kicked out of two apartments and denied others and had no choice but to go stay in a motel. But because their state didn't allow sex offenders to be registered at motels the husband was arrested and sent back to prison leaving the wife and child without an income since the husband was the sole breadwinner. That just isn't fair or reasonable.

The way the sex offender registry is today it's little more than a witch hunt. We have given in to hysteria and nothing sensible can come out of hysteria.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:58 AM

29,466 posts, read 14,639,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have always had a bit of a problem with publicizing where sex offenders live by warning people they are moving into their neighborhood. Surely, some of these people are beyond help (in which case I don't understand why they're being freed), but for those who want to get on with their lives, doesn't this practice basically make that improbable?

If a person has served their time in prison, haven't they then paid their "debt to society"?

Why are sex offenders singled out? Why not drug dealers, attempted murderers, and drunk drivers?
I think the whole "paid their debt to society" is a bunch of BS ! Especially in sex offenders. I'm not talking about someone that got caught peeing in public or an 18 year old with a 17 year old girlfriend. I'm talking about hard core pedophiles. There is no rehabilitation with them. Personally they should be castrated before they are allowed back out into society. Yes we should know where they live.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
Hysteria, a witch hunt..
A study of the post-release recidivism rate among sex offenders (Langan,
Schmit, and Durose 2003) revealed that 43.0 percent of 9,691 sex offenders were re-incarcerated within 3 years after release from prison.

According to this analysis, arrest on a prior sex charge was the single best predictor of being sentenced to prison for a new sex crime in the five years following release from prison.

Then coupled with the low reporting rate by victims the recidivism rates are actually much higher.

Just because they are released from prison does not mean they have paid their dept to society.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
The way the sex offender registry is today it's little more than a witch hunt. We have given in to hysteria and nothing sensible can come out of hysteria.
A felon will have the label fallow them for life.(unless they get it expunged from their record)
You did the crime, now live with the consequences of your actions.
If it's a label then so be it,

A scarlet letter tattooed to the face would be a good start to identifying them in public.

Last edited by snofarmer; 02-20-2013 at 11:37 AM..

Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizita View Post
There seems to be a general belief that sex offenders are all child molesters who have abused small children but that's really not the case. Sex offenders can be anyone from a notorious pedophile to a 19-year old having sex with his 15-year old girlfriend to someone who, like a guy I know, pulled down his pants on a bus on a dare. In his registry it says that his victims were under the age of 14 because two 14-year olds on the bus saw him. If you don't know the details the registry makes it sound like he's a child molester which he of course isn't.

We do have to make sure that the public have a chance to protect themselves from people who are likely to be a threat, regardless of what type of crime they committed, but current sex offender laws are caused by hysteria and have gone way too far. The rules are unreasonable, set people up for failure and punish people who have done nothing wrong like the offender's family members. As it is right now in many states there is hardly nowhere sex offenders can live which also affect their families. I read about one couple with a small child, where the husband had been convicted of statutory rape, who had been kicked out of two apartments and denied others and had no choice but to go stay in a motel. But because their state didn't allow sex offenders to be registered at motels the husband was arrested and sent back to prison leaving the wife and child without an income since the husband was the sole breadwinner. That just isn't fair or reasonable.

Thank you!!!!!

Old 02-21-2013, 06:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StabbyAbby View Post
Sexual assault is extremely under-reported. It's naive to believe that rapists and molesters "learn the error of their ways" in prison and suddenly become model citizens.

A likely reason explaining why released rapists/molesters have a "lower" recidivism rate is because they learn from their first mistakes (getting caught) and they make sure that their victims don't report to law enforcement again.

Rapists enjoy invading, dominating and tormenting their victims. It's a pathological desire. I don't trust any of them. I don't care if they claim that they've "found God". It's all an act as far as I'm concerned.
Says who?<bold> I could believe that was the case years ago but in today's world? I don't quite think that's the case anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates