Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 10:23 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,069,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpv View Post
I have always had a bit of a problem with publicizing where sex offenders live by warning people they are moving into their neighborhood. Surely, some of these people are beyond help (in which case I don't understand why they're being freed), but for those who want to get on with their lives, doesn't this practice basically make that improbable?

If a person has served their time in prison, haven't they then paid their "debt to society"?

Why are sex offenders singled out? Why not drug dealers, attempted murderers, and drunk drivers?
Yes, they should be publisize, sexual offenders have not paid their debt to society if they have preyed upon a helpless child. If it were up to me, I'd build a place where they would all be placed never again to walk among society, they are a menace to society...and when my child was little, that was the first thing I checked out before purchasing a home.

Sexual offenders are sick and cannot be rehabilitated...my son is a police officer and the rehabilitation capablity is less then 1%. Statistics show that child molesters have not preyed upon one or two children but from 40- 75 children, until they are caught.

YOU should be asking the children who have been molested by adults, or the parents of children who have been molested and hear the negative life change it made to their lives. It amazes me how this society feels so much more compassion for the law breaker then victims???????

Old 10-31-2012, 11:08 AM

220 posts, read 450,530 times
Yes.

At the same time though, the scope of the sex offender registry needs to be narrowed down to the true threats: rapists, molesters, pedos and a few others. Not the drunk guy who peed on a dumpster in a back alley at 3am in public...

Old 10-31-2012, 11:23 AM

2,043 posts, read 2,889,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Yes, they should be publisize, sexual offenders have not paid their debt to society if they have preyed upon a helpless child. If it were up to me, I'd build a place where they would all be placed never again to walk among society, they are a menace to society...and when my child was little, that was the first thing I checked out before purchasing a home.

Sexual offenders are sick and cannot be rehabilitated...my son is a police officer and the rehabilitation capablity is less then 1%. Statistics show that child molesters have not preyed upon one or two children but from 40- 75 children, until they are caught.

YOU should be asking the children who have been molested by adults, or the parents of children who have been molested and hear the negative life change it made to their lives. It amazes me how this society feels so much more compassion for the law breaker then victims???????
If they are sick and cannot be rehabilitated, then they shouldn't be allowed back into society at all; I indicated as much in the OP. Otherwise, if we're going to bother setting them free, then it seems to me that they should have the same opportunity to make a life as any other ex-con. If we're setting free those who aren't ready to integrate back into society, then that is a breakdown of the justice system.

I am positive that sex offenses have a negative effect on the lives of the victims. That being said, most violent crimes do. We set murderers free without having a special registry web site showing where they live. Wouldn't murder be considered pretty harmful?

Old 10-31-2012, 11:48 AM

28,840 posts, read 30,069,778 times
Quote:
If they are sick and cannot be rehabilitated, then they shouldn't be allowed back into society at all; I indicated as much in the OP. Otherwise, if we're going to bother setting them free, then it seems to me that they should have the same opportunity to make a life as any other ex-con. If we're setting free those who aren't ready to integrate back into society, then that is a breakdown of the justice system.

I am positive that sex offenses have a negative effect on the lives of the victims. That being said, most violent crimes do. We set murderers free without having a special registry web site showing where they live. Wouldn't murder be considered pretty harmful?

Yes, and I can see your point...however, we do have a huge breakdown of the justice sytem, that is for certain....you cannot believe how many times our officers re arrest people. It is a waste of time, a great waste of money and a disgrace to our society.

Our prisons are so full, they let murders go simply for that reason.....however, you have the case of the kid, who shot someone, they did time, and they are older and sorry for their crime and would never do it again....however, that to is few and far between....but there are cases in which they do rehabilitate.

Sex offenders do not....and you will have people come into this forum and state that they do...but very very very few cases can be rehabilitated. Not to mention, again, the pain any victim from any crime goes thru, possibly for the rest of their living days

Old 10-31-2012, 11:58 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,119,482 times
Many are released on PAROLE they are not done paying their dept.
They are felons forever, a title that will fallow them for life.
A reminder of what happened and what will happen again if they mess up.

If one moved in next door to you and your children wouldn't you want to know?

Quote:
I have always had a bit of a problem with publicizing where sex offenders live by warning people they are moving into their neighborhood. Surely, some of these people are beyond help (in which case I don't understand why they're being freed), but for those who want to get on with their lives, doesn't this practice basically make that improbable?

If a person has served their time in prison, haven't they then paid their "debt to society"?

Why are sex offenders singled out? Why not drug dealers, attempted murderers, and drunk drivers?

Old 10-31-2012, 12:19 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,929,369 times
Y'all need to check the reality of what a sex offender is before you label all of them child predators.

I know a guy who's brother was drinking at a bar (in Ohio). He had too much to drink and decided to walk home instead of driving (seems like the more responsible thing to do). However, along the way home, he had to urinate. Turning down an alley, he relieved himself along a fence. It just so happened that some police were in the area and arrested him. He is now a registered sex offender for exposing himself.

Did he do wrong? In some ways... but I have had to publically "relieve" myself when there were no restrooms around... I just never got caught or was too near a populated area at the time. But what happened to him scared me to death when I looked back at it.

Now... I'm not defending sex offenders in any way. I just want people to be educated that there's different levels.

I live in west Texas, and I received a post-card type of notification that a sex offender (who had been tied to child offending) was in our neighborhood. It had a black and white photo along with the address.

I, personally, do not think I have to go out of my way for this individual. I will not harass him. I will not stalk him. I did, however, advise my children (who are 19 and 15) that this individual was in the area. But, since I don't know all the circumstances around the incident, I'm not going to jump to conclusions. And, apparently he did do his jail time.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:34 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,483,446 times
Yes;its clear that voters demanded it by the chnages to create it.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:42 PM

220 posts, read 450,530 times
Quote:
We set murderers free without having a special registry web site showing where they live. Wouldn't murder be considered pretty harmful?
There's no national murderer registry, but Kansas has an offender registry subdivided between sex offenders, violent offenders, and drug offenders. Murderers are definitely on there...

Public Offender Registry

Old 10-31-2012, 01:49 PM

24,215 posts, read 16,899,255 times
Mass. does have levels for sex offenders like some have mentioned what about the guy peeing in public? he shouldn't be dragged over the coals and chastised forever but the hard core offenders lock them up and throw away the key and if they are allowed out in Mass. they do go on a sex offender registry. As a real estate agent I'm not allowed by law to tell a young family that there is a offender living next door but I can strongly advise them to check with the police department and ask about the list.
I was involved in a terrible case years ago at a construction site which I had stopped at mistakenly thinking it was the one I was supposed to be at, (it was actually behind this one but I had done work there the week before) The foreman and I walked around the site and he checked in with his guys to see if anyone had called me. No I was at the wrong site so off I went to the right one. In the meantime a guy out back had exposed himself to a girl walking to school, she ran and told her teacher who called the cops who came down to the construction site lined up the workers and even though she had told the cops the guy had brown pants on she picked out a guy, the foreman, that had blue. They arrested him. The only evidence they had was the girls word and they ignored the fact that the guy who actually did it left the scene and I found out later didn't come back for his paycheck. Long story short almost a year later I had to go to court as a witness to this poor foreman who had been dragged through the muck, who had his reputation questioned and I testified that he was the one that took me around the site at the time of the incident. After 2 days of trial he got off but WOW that was scary for him.
As men we always need to be careful of situations. My uncle works at a school as a custodian, recently he told me he went into the mens room there and a kid probably 4 with pants at the ankles and no parent around was peeing. My uncle turned around and got out of there. You can never be too careful.
I think there should be notification for higher levels of offenders but not the guy caught peeing in the bushes.

Old 10-31-2012, 02:30 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,979,208 times
There are cases where one is labeled a sex offender unjust, like the 18 year old guy and 16-17 year old girlfriend.
Other than that or similar cases....execute all sex offenders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates