Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 12:57 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbyman View Post
The men and women of the force have always been a force to run to in desperate times of help, the people who helped keep our communities safe, whose presence was admired and welcome. They were as much apart of us as any employee; federal , state or local. But now in 2012 I think Congress is the only job whose employees are more hated than them. They consistently come off as arrogant, aggressive , abusive , apprehensive and intimidating. They have shown themselves to use unnecessary force on the elderly, children , and the disabled. They try to cover each other's tracks when they have down heinous criminal acts against citizens and in the case of the NYC officer, he was using the damn criminal database to catalogue women he was gonna kidnap, rape, murder and eat. Is their some kind of external force at work here causing this? They are always on edge and ready to shoot too, maybe the environment justifies it? I dont know what's going on.
Because the media reports the one out of 100,000 police calls that somehow goes terribly wrong. The media skews the facts to make the cops look like the bad guys.

Yes, sometimes they make mistakes, but so does everybody else (including doctors, to the tune of 100,000 unnecessary deaths per year). Why no outrage there?

Cops are overworked and underpaid and very, very, very under appreciated.

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 01:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Say what you want about cops but I like seeing them around. The more cops I see, the less likely I or my household is going to be a crime victim.

Also, what makes you think what you wrote is true?

I like when cops bust people. I like it when they write tickets. That money goes to me, the county or state resident. I wish they'd bust every Harley out there with loud illegal pipes and all the illegally modified muffler rice burners the punks are driving.
How does cops witting tickets make you less likely to be a crime victim? Ticket writing is nothing but highway robbery. Oh and they are never going to do anything about loud vehicles, because they don't care.

Old 11-03-2012, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
what you have described above may define a very few men and women of the police force in the minority of these here United States but certainly not the majority.
BS, cops are nothing but a government sponsored gang of street thugs. Why is it that every time a couple of the (minority of) cops beat someone to death on the street, there are 25 other cops just standing there watching, and not one will steps in to break it up? Just coincidence that all 25 of the them are from the bad minority, and not even one of the good majority happens to be present? Yeah, right.

Take a look at this video and tell me which ones are the majority.

Philadelphia Police Brutality - YouTube

Old 11-03-2012, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And if you think today's officers are "rogue" you need to do more research from the mid-1900's.
Oh yeah, the cops were brutal in those days.

Barney Fife Deals With Two Bullies - YouTube

Old 11-03-2012, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
If I was a cop I wouldn't last a year before I got fired. Too bad of a temper to put up with the lowlifes the police come in contact with.
Fired? Hell, they'ed promote you for that.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodipper View Post
Most people have never seen a murder victim hacked to pieces. A child beaten until they died with every bone broken. An old sick person that blows their brains out. Police see those and much more way too often.
Oh, stop being so dramatic. Most cops will never ever even see a murder victim in their career. Let alone anything like what you are describing. Unless they are a homicide detective, or something.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:26 PM

73,001 posts, read 62,569,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Oh yeah, the cops were brutal in those days.

Barney Fife Deals With Two Bullies - YouTube
The Andy Griffith Show isn't real.

This footage, however, is real.

Birmingham 1963 - YouTube

Old 11-03-2012, 02:38 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,846,980 times
When 911 calls come IN, patrol COPS go OUT and arrive on the scenes of all crimes FIRST. Then, if needed, Homicide is called in...

COPS are first responders, dude.

In MY city, we have awesome COPS and DETECTIVES, who strive to do their best with crime in our area---and it shows.

Charleston PD!!!

Quote:
Oh, stop being so dramatic. Most cops will never ever even see a murder victim in their career. Let alone anything like what you are describing. Unless they are a homicide detective, or something.

Last edited by greatblueheron; 11-03-2012 at 02:54 PM..

Old 11-03-2012, 04:07 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,568 times
Default Peace officers: most love drug war

A war on harmless American people that makes many in law enforcement richer.

If a person is growing a few plants to treat a medical condition, LEOs might seize their cash , vehicle & maybe their house, but they can't do this to a murderer? Then prison for up to 100 years for the victim. So is the person growing a few plants for their medical condition worse than the murderer?

In the late 60s police went to J Edgar Hoover (head of FBI) & told him how much they hated war protesters, asking what they could do. Hoover responded with if you can't arrest them for peaceful protest, maybe you could arrest them for "marijuana". So Nixon Signed the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, to allow 20 year prison terms for possession of the tiniest amount.

Most fair-minded internet readers are opposed to the drug war, whether they use illegal drugs or not. In the case of "marijuana", top expert Dr. Lester Grinspoon (ret f/Harvard Med. Sch.) lists over 120 medical conditions that it sometimes helps better than pills, with fewer unpleasant side effects & no deaths as a direct result. rxmarijuana.com/ Over 1.000 studies can be found with search for Granny Storm Crow's list.

10,000 years of testing by over 1 billion people. Recently, there have been numerous reports of people being cured by cannabis oil, who had cancer or other sometimes fatal illnesses. Cash Hyde of Missoula, MT, had brain tumor at age 2. At hospital in SLC, UT, nearly dead with standard treatments, his dad said remove chemo cocktail & he put cannabis oil in feeding tube. Cash Hyde is now 3 & cancer-free!

A man in Nova Scotia, CA (Rick Simpson), spent life savings of $1.3 million treating for free people with cancer & other sometimes fatal illnesses. An 82 year old man was so close to death from lung cancer that his lungs were filling up with fluids. He received cannabis oil & was cancer-free 3 months later. See Rick's 58 minute video Run From The Cure. He had to flee Canada to avoid arrest ordered by US.

Cancer was rare in 1937, when cannabis oil was removed from pharmacies. Now we have epidemic, with 60% of Americans getting cancer & half of them dying from it. That's 30% of LEOs needlessly dying for what, just to show spite towards public???

A man on another forum said his mother's seizures stopped after trying MJ, something the 25 different pills had failed to do. What if all those medical expenses were given to police to fund them?

Shouldn't we support safe & effective drugs, rather than rubber-stamp any made by Big Pharma?
Their products kill 125,000 Americans a year & disable many more. Best wishes.

Old 11-03-2012, 05:20 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,561,284 times
Quote:
BS, cops are nothing but a government sponsored gang of street thugs. Why is it that every time a couple of the (minority of) cops beat someone to death on the street, there are 25 other cops just standing there watching, and not one will steps in to break it up? Just coincidence that all 25 of the them are from the bad minority, and not even one of the good majority happens to be present? Yeah, right.

Take a look at this video and tell me which ones are the majority.

Philadelphia Police Brutality - YouTube
I had to sign in and answer questions in order to view this. I don't see the point in that, but this one makes me sick. Very scary. These officers were never threatened. Even if he had fought back, which he didn't, they would never have been in jeopardy.
The courts are not sufficient punishment. You get some money if they are found guilty, but the taxpayers get stuck with that penalty. We need some outside oversight that can dole out justice in cases like these. The blue line is a powerful force.

Police Brutality worse than Rodney King - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates