U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 06:29 PM

12,775 posts, read 4,659,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
A war on harmless American people that makes many in law enforcement richer.

If a person is growing a few plants to treat a medical condition, LEOs might seize their cash , vehicle & maybe their house, but they can't do this to a murderer? Then prison for up to 100 years for the victim. So is the person growing a few plants for their medical condition worse than the murderer?

In the late 60s police went to J Edgar Hoover (head of FBI) & told him how much they hated war protesters, asking what they could do. Hoover responded with if you can't arrest them for peaceful protest, maybe you could arrest them for "marijuana". So Nixon Signed the Controlled Substances Act of 1970, to allow 20 year prison terms for possession of the tiniest amount.

Most fair-minded internet readers are opposed to the drug war, whether they use illegal drugs or not. In the case of "marijuana", top expert Dr. Lester Grinspoon (ret f/Harvard Med. Sch.) lists over 120 medical conditions that it sometimes helps better than pills, with fewer unpleasant side effects & no deaths as a direct result. rxmarijuana.com/ Over 1.000 studies can be found with search for Granny Storm Crow's list.

10,000 years of testing by over 1 billion people. Recently, there have been numerous reports of people being cured by cannabis oil, who had cancer or other sometimes fatal illnesses. Cash Hyde of Missoula, MT, had brain tumor at age 2. At hospital in SLC, UT, nearly dead with standard treatments, his dad said remove chemo cocktail & he put cannabis oil in feeding tube. Cash Hyde is now 3 & cancer-free!

A man in Nova Scotia, CA (Rick Simpson), spent life savings of $1.3 million treating for free people with cancer & other sometimes fatal illnesses. An 82 year old man was so close to death from lung cancer that his lungs were filling up with fluids. He received cannabis oil & was cancer-free 3 months later. See Rick's 58 minute video Run From The Cure. He had to flee Canada to avoid arrest ordered by US.

Cancer was rare in 1937, when cannabis oil was removed from pharmacies. Now we have epidemic, with 60% of Americans getting cancer & half of them dying from it. That's 30% of LEOs needlessly dying for what, just to show spite towards public???

A man on another forum said his mother's seizures stopped after trying MJ, something the 25 different pills had failed to do. What if all those medical expenses were given to police to fund them?

Shouldn't we support safe & effective drugs, rather than rubber-stamp any made by Big Pharma?
Their products kill 125,000 Americans a year & disable many more. Best wishes.
Absolutely. I am 100% with you on this, and I do not smoke pot. We were supposed to learn a lesson from the days of Prohibition. Alcohol is very dangerous, destroys lives, families, leads to violence etc. Pot is none of that.
The war on drugs has caused the death of some 60,000 people in Mexico since 2006. When is enough enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 06:32 PM

4,174 posts, read 3,796,565 times
The people that become police officer are going to mirror the general population. It is just that simple. The majority of people and the majority of police officers are doing what they set out to do and doing a good job. You hardly ever hear the positive stories. Whenever I have had a dealing such as having to call the police to my house or see how they are handling a situation, I always make a call and make sure that positive action is written up and if I see something negative, I report that also. It helps.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:45 PM

275 posts, read 176,230 times
Default What you are saying is indeed true, but now the whites are being harassed, threatened & discriminated against, in CT esp

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
At the risk of sounded very cynical, here is my piece on this.

Aggressive behavior, being abusive, this has existed within the ranks of the police for ages. The difference is that it was noticed less before 1960. Why was it noticed less? The persons who were often abused by the police were Blacks, Latinos, and Asians. Police brutality was quite common in Black neighborhoods. Respect for the police was not universal. Many Blacks feared the police before the 1960s. Fear later turned to anger in the 1960s. Why else did the original Black Panther Party form? Protection against police brutality in the Bay Area.
If you weren't White, you would be harassed and even subjected to physical abuse from police officers much more than Whites. It still holds today, but more people are aware of it. There is also a trend where some police officers are willing to be abusive towards anyone of any race or ethnicity.

But my point was this. One asks "what has happened to American police officers"? I say you could ask that. I also another appropriate was to put it is this: Why has this behavior only been noticed in the recent times? Why are some police officers more willing to abuse their power with White people now more than before?

This being considered, not all police officers are like this. I have ran into some very nice police officers, who have not abused their power. I've seen some very good police officers. My idea is this. The notion that police officers didn't abuse their power or were more respected back in the old days is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Abuse of power and lack of respect for police officers has existed for a long time, long before the 1960s.
I don't know why there is so much police corruption in the United States but one of the worst states lately is the state of Connecticut.
Did you hear the story of a 15 year old boy who was riding his bicycle in Windsor Locks, Connecticut and was run over by a drunk cop in his 20s, who then, tried to make sure NO ONE knew he was drunk at all, and his dad, a police sergeant tried to make sure people didn't KNOW he'd been drinking.
The 15 year old boy died too, and lay dying by the side of the road after being hit by the young drunk cop, who'd been drinking ALL day long.
He's been prosecuted and actually was insisting on getting his JOB BACK, and getting back $50,000 in back pay too, but finally he's gone to jail for they only gave him 5 years!
I think that's shocking considering a 15 year old boy is now dead, due to the negligence and corruption of a cop and his father is going to trial too.

Another cop in Connecticut recently ran over & killed a man in Hartford, Conn, when he ran over the man going 57 mph in a downtown street, when he DID NOT have his siren even on!
There's so many corrupt abusive cops in Connecticut, to the guy who wrote he didn't want to be in a part of Georgia, trust me, you better be VERY careful where you go to, in Connecticut!
I think central Connecticut has to be one of the worst areas for dangerous, abusive corrupt cops.
They just had 4 police officers who were arrested by the FBI for harassing, threatening and beat up some Hispanic people, even members of a Hispanic Church!
This is ridiculous. And the towns in central Connecticut typically just want to SWEEP it under the rug, the negligence, corruption and abuse of police officers who are paid VERY HIGH SALARIES too!

I just don't trust most of the cops anymore. Yes, there's some good ones, but even they are being harassed & intimidated by the bad ones in many police department in Connecticut.

If you don't believe me, you can go to Hartfordcourant.com.... the website for Hartford Courant, a local newspaper who had written dozens & dozens of articles about the abuse & corruption of the police departments in the state of Connecticut.

Thanks for posting this thread, because I'm sure there's other people out there who'd like people to know how abusive or threatening police are in their area too!

The fact of the matter is, so many cops now, in our country, think they are ABOVE the law, and can break whatever law they want, and simply get away with it!
That's sickening to me!

Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 PM

27,812 posts, read 23,059,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNRollRocks View Post
I don't know why there is so much police corruption in the United States but one of the worst states lately is the state of Connecticut.
Did you hear the story of a 15 year old boy who was riding his bicycle in Windsor Locks, Connecticut and was run over by a drunk cop in his 20s, who then, tried to make sure NO ONE knew he was drunk at all, and his dad, a police sergeant tried to make sure people didn't KNOW he'd been drinking.
The 15 year old boy died too, and lay dying by the side of the road after being hit by the young drunk cop, who'd been drinking ALL day long.
He's been prosecuted and actually was insisting on getting his JOB BACK, and getting back $50,000 in back pay too, but finally he's gone to jail for they only gave him 5 years!
I think that's shocking considering a 15 year old boy is now dead, due to the negligence and corruption of a cop and his father is going to trial too.

Another cop in Connecticut recently ran over & killed a man in Hartford, Conn, when he ran over the man going 57 mph in a downtown street, when he DID NOT have his siren even on!
There's so many corrupt abusive cops in Connecticut, to the guy who wrote he didn't want to be in a part of Georgia, trust me, you better be VERY careful where you go to, in Connecticut!
I think central Connecticut has to be one of the worst areas for dangerous, abusive corrupt cops.
They just had 4 police officers who were arrested by the FBI for harassing, threatening and beat up some Hispanic people, even members of a Hispanic Church!
This is ridiculous. And the towns in central Connecticut typically just want to SWEEP it under the rug, the negligence, corruption and abuse of police officers who are paid VERY HIGH SALARIES too!

I just don't trust most of the cops anymore. Yes, there's some good ones, but even they are being harassed & intimidated by the bad ones in many police department in Connecticut.

If you don't believe me, you can go to Hartfordcourant.com.... the website for Hartford Courant, a local newspaper who had written dozens & dozens of articles about the abuse & corruption of the police departments in the state of Connecticut.

Thanks for posting this thread, because I'm sure there's other people out there who'd like people to know how abusive or threatening police are in their area too!

The fact of the matter is, so many cops now, in our country, think they are ABOVE the law, and can break whatever law they want, and simply get away with it!
That's sickening to me!
I never said it wasn't happening to White people. In fact, I even mentioned that the difference between today's police brutality and years ago is that those officers who abuse their power are more willing to abuse Whites nowadays. I even asked why this trend was happening.

I don't live in Connecticut, so I haven't heard about any of these stories. However, it doesn't surprise me that this is happening in Connecticut, not anymore. This is happening everywhere.

I live in Georgia and a few weeks ago, there was a drug bust that went deadly, and it happened a mile from where I live. Some police officers went in to a house and shot a 60 year-old man who had arthritis, who wasn't armed. In DeKalb County(next to Atlanta), Sheriff Sidney Dorsey was defeated by Derwin Brown. Derwin Brown was intent on cleaning up the corruption that had existed in the DeKalb County Sheriff Office. This angered former Sheriff Dorsey. He would order an assassination of Sheriff Brown. On Friday, December 15,2000, Sheriff Derwin Brown was murdered by Deputy Patrick Cuffy. Dorsey had ordered Cuffy to do this.

I've had the fortune to be around some decent police officers. In fact, a few are friends of my family. However, the bad officers seem to scream louder.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:13 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,460,230 times
Quote:
The Andy Griffith Show isn't real.

This footage, however, is real.

Birmingham 1963 - YouTube
I know Andy Griffin isn't real. But that was the image that TV portrayed cops as in the 1960s. How are they portrayed today?

Second that incident in Birmingham was not typical of police of that time. As it says that video, the incident in outraged world opinion. Regardless, that video is tame compared to what cops would do today. Today those kids would be blasted with rubber bullets and flashbang grenade, not fire hoses.

Occupy Oakland Riot police fire tear gas, flashbang grenades - YouTube

Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 PM

4,673 posts, read 3,460,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
When 911 calls come IN, patrol COPS go OUT and arrive on the scenes of all crimes FIRST. Then, if needed, Homicide is called in...

COPS are first responders, dude.
In the city I live in we have an average of one homicide ever two years. The city employes over 200 cops. How many of those cops are going to be first responders to that one homicide every two years?

Old 11-03-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
I know Andy Griffin isn't real. But that was the image that TV portrayed cops as in the 1960s. How are they portrayed today?

Quote:
Second that incident in Birmingham was not typical of police of that time. As it says that video, the incident in outraged world opinion. Regardless, that video is tame compared to what cops would do today. Today those kids would be blasted with rubber bullets and flashbang grenade, not fire hoses.

Occupy Oakland Riot police fire tear gas, flashbang grenades - YouTube
Tell that to the people who were sprayed with fire hoses, many of them children. I'm more afraid of police dogs than rubber bullets.

And the violence I showed you was quite typical of what many African-Americans experienced in the pre-Civil Rights days.

Race and the Houston Police Department, 1930-1990: A Change Did Come - Dwight D. Watson - Google Books

The difference was that before the 1960s, few people ever spoke about police brutality.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:38 PM

12,775 posts, read 4,659,312 times
Quote:
Tell that to the people who were sprayed with fire hoses, many of them children. I'm more afraid of police dogs than rubber bullets.

And the violence I showed you was quite typical of what many African-Americans experienced in the pre-Civil Rights days.

Race and the Houston Police Department, 1930-1990: A Change Did Come - Dwight D. Watson - Google Books

The difference was that before the 1960s, few people ever spoke about police brutality.
We are talking about it now!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
We are talking about it now!
I know that. We are talking about it now. That was my entire point. Police brutality has always existed, for a very long time. However, it is only being discussed in the recent times.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:32 AM

33,833 posts, read 19,643,686 times
Quote:
At the risk of sounded very cynical, here is my piece on this.

Aggressive behavior, being abusive, this has existed within the ranks of the police for ages. The difference is that it was noticed less before 1960. Why was it noticed less? The persons who were often abused by the police were Blacks, Latinos, and Asians. Police brutality was quite common in Black neighborhoods. Respect for the police was not universal. Many Blacks feared the police before the 1960s. Fear later turned to anger in the 1960s. Why else did the original Black Panther Party form? Protection against police brutality in the Bay Area.
If you weren't White, you would be harassed and even subjected to physical abuse from police officers much more than Whites. It still holds today, but more people are aware of it. There is also a trend where some police officers are willing to be abusive towards anyone of any race or ethnicity.

But my point was this. One asks "what has happened to American police officers"? I say you could ask that. I also another appropriate was to put it is this: Why has this behavior only been noticed in the recent times? Why are some police officers more willing to abuse their power with White people now more than before?

This being considered, not all police officers are like this. I have ran into some very nice police officers, who have not abused their power. I've seen some very good police officers. My idea is this. The notion that police officers didn't abuse their power or were more respected back in the old days is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. Abuse of power and lack of respect for police officers has existed for a long time, long before the 1960s.
Agree with everything above. Social problems of all sorts go under the radar until they affect the White community, then suddenly there's a hue and cry. I also agree that there are good cops, but there are a LOT of cops who lie to cover up for each other.

Question: why aren't there more Black police officers? I live in a Hispanic state and I've worked in Native American communities, and a lot of the Native kids want to go into law enforcement, and most of the cops I've seen in my town are Hispanic, men and women. If there's a problem with police brutality in AA communities, why don't more AA's go into law enforcement, so they can be assigned to those communities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates