Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 06:34 AM

3,426 posts, read 8,904,464 times

Advertisements

The "crying all the time" part I can really relate to. Even things that normally don't upset me or get an emotional reaction out of me, will now spark tears.

Everyday I find myself holding back tears. I wish I noticed sooner. I have never been this way.

I can't wait to get this out of my system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 AM

35 posts, read 48,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Patients should ALWAYS keep track of side effects on medication, and insist on asking questions and not be afraid of their doctors. Side effects tend to be, to doctors, of little importance. Yes, its a trade off, but ultimately its the choice of the patient if its worth it. I'm sure some women react to birth control as mood swings and depression, and some it helps. Just as some women react to pregnancy differently. As for meds for depression and mood problems, somewhere along the way they got equated to happy candy and your local general practicioner is routienly dispensing them. It is unknown how many people actually get an evalutaion of if they need a pill or a good talk or just to get through it. All anti-depressents have side effects as well, and these are seldom monitored by even qualified doctors. Of course the patients feels great when they are at the doctors. If you're down in the dumps, you have to get it together to go. And people get worried about telling the doctor that they are having problems since they like the good feelings and don't want them taken away.

I think we're in a place where overall there are too many drugs being dispensed by too many less than qualified to make people 'happy'.

Yes, you are absolutely right about Doctors. The second time I went on the BC pill was because I was having problems with my cycle; I knew that the Doctor was going to put me on BC as that is usually their "fix all" with any menstrual problems. I have a family history of hormone/thyroid problems so I was concerned, but the Doctor made me feel like I was stupid for even questioning birth control. When I started having all the physical side effects I did not feel comfortable going back to that Doctor so I went to a different one recommended by some women in my family. WORLD OF A DIFFERENCE! He not only sat and listened to my concerns for a good 20 minutes...he found the issue with my cycle in the first place (ovarian cyst) and then suggested the estrogen levels in my birth control were probably causing my side effects, especially the nausea, and that I would be better off with the Nuva Ring as you don't have to digest it and it releases the hormones at a slower more steady pace.

Just like any other profession...Someone might be a Doctor but that doesn't necessarily make them a "good Doctor"; and especially with all the prescription drugs out there and the multi-billion dollar pharmaceutical companies that push them (including BC!), people need to understand their bodies, pay attention to the side-effects, do their own research, and make sure they TRUST their doctor.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:31 AM

^^^so true. My doctor's office is more like a factory where they get you in and out as quickly as possible. When I called to schedule and appointment about stopping my usage of the pill, no one even answered!
The only reason I go there is because it was close to my house and the hospital I was born in.

I called at 10:00am on a Monday, the phone rang for a minute...no machine.

I hung up and found somewhere else to go.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:03 AM

35 posts, read 48,263 times
I also don't get the "it's natural" mentality. Yes hormones are naturally occurring in your body, but if you are altering what is supposed to be "naturally" occurring, is it still natural?

The hormones themselves can be natural, but they can make your body do things that are unnatural. Besides "tricking" your body into thinking it's pregnant when it's [i]not[i], it also sheds a woman's uterine lining so that if she does become pregnant the egg cant stick. I thought I had a miscarriage while on BC due to passing tissue matter, only to learn this pleasant fact...that is not "natural" to me. Every woman's cycle length is usually different but when on the pill it is always the same length because you get your "fake period" when you take the placebo pills...it is conforming your cycle, your cycle is not "naturally" occurring.

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass, I seriously would like to know peoples opinions/views on this.

Old 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM

^^^I agree with what you are saying.

Imagine in there was a BC pill men were supposed to take that contained extra testosterone. Of course this is just theoretical. Actually steroids have chemicals in them that turn into testosterone in the body. Imagine if a man took a low dose testosterone steroid everyday of his life. Wouldn't that mess up his system? The side effects are pretty bad. It makes some men quick to anger and can even shrink parts of the male anatomy. It has to be the same for women, except we are just used to it and very happy to have an effective form of BC.

Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
^^^I agree with what you are saying.

Imagine in there was a BC pill men were supposed to take that contained extra testosterone. Of course this is just theoretical. Actually steroids have chemicals in them that turn into testosterone in the body. Imagine if a man took a low dose testosterone steroid everyday of his life. Wouldn't that mess up his system? The side effects are pretty bad. It makes some men quick to anger and can even shrink parts of the male anatomy. It has to be the same for women, except we are just used to it and very happy to have an effective form of BC.
I don't think anyone is trying to imply that it's natural, or perfect, but for the most part hormonal BC has been used by women for 40+ years and the side effects for the majority are minimal, and we aren't seeing horrible reactions like if we gave men pure testosterone and created a hormonal imbalance. The hormone levels of many pills are very low these days. In general the pill does mimic the hormonal balance of pregnancy which women's bodies are meant to experience.

I've never been able to tolerate any pill so I don't take them, but I know many women who take them without incident for many years, and love the freedom they provide, for them it's the best form of birth control. I will say other methods of BC can be very inconvenient and it's much easier to make mistakes, and for young women pregnancy can be their worst nightmare. I certainly wouldn't recommend all women take them, but they seem fine for many women, and for women with certain problems such a severe endometriosis, they can greatly improve quality of life.

I have seen a lot more problems with some of the shots and implants that have been developed, they seem much more likely to cause crazy side effects then the daily pill, you couldn't pay me to use them, but if I could have taken the pill without side effects I probably would have.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
not enough attention, to much attention, hobbies, friends, the late show, working late, home early, staying home, going out, phone calls, in laws....should I go on?

Old 11-07-2012, 09:51 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
not enough attention, to much attention, hobbies, friends, the late show, working late, home early, staying home, going out, phone calls, in laws....should I go on?
Huh?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,172,649 times
Directed towards the OP..
I was aware that your original thread starting post did not include any stats..?

You stated Progesterone? Does not stop a woman from ovulating…I am on Progesterone ONLY bc pills ..all this does? Is makes the cervix thick and gooey and does not allow the sperm to meet the egg..
There are not even placebos for progesterone only bc pills…One takes these pills every day of the month..

BC pills causing issues? Sometimes, often times women even young girls that are not sexually active are given these in order to make their periods less severe and more regular..
Breast tenderness? Weight gain? Irritable? Is all about PMS..
Have you ever thought that some of these issues are all about PDD? And often times if it severe enough? The woman is rx’d an anti-depressant?

We want to talk about periods? My periods have become more severe as I get older..physically and emotionally, my dr states that this is normal…

Some actual links of pros and cons to BC..

Birth Control Side Effects: The Positives to Being on The Pill | Women's Health Magazine

Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Being on the pill was one of the best things I ever did in my life.

My periods were actually on time, 3 days instead of 7, and my cramps weren't near as bad as they were without it.

I only wish that the new pill that cuts down the amount of periods you have was around back then.

In short, being on the pill made my life soooo much better.

The only thing better than being on the pill was menopause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates