U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 07:48 PM

774 posts, read 1,637,924 times

Advertisements

I ask that only respectful replies be made, please. As a person in an interracial relationship, I was led to believe that acts of violence toward IR couples was next to nonexistant, until I read about a white man who was beaten into unconsciousness by several black men over his dating a black woman in Savannah, GA. This caused me to do some online searching, and I found similar attacks by black men on white men who were dating black women in Buffalo, NY and in the Cleveland area. A black man was also assaulted by white men for involving himself with a white female in IL. I will say that I noticed that all suspects and victims were in their late teens to 30 years old and in all but the first example, the suspects and victims knew each other beforehand. While I have never received more than a strange stare in my relationship, what I am starting to wonder is, is there still a significant risk that a person, especially a man, who dates interracially will be subject to physical attack from unapproving others or are these just freak incidents that are as likely as winning the lotttery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 06:55 AM

1,403 posts, read 2,073,728 times
It really depends where you are, I have heard of a few attacks on interracial couples.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesasabia View Post
It really depends where you are, I have heard of a few attacks on interracial couples.
I am also wondering if age is a factor because in all the attacks I have found through my online research, both attackers and victims were no older than 30. We are in our late 30s and early 40s and have only gotten a strange stare once or twice. We live in an area where IR couples are quite common, but do a lot of travelling to other areas.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:26 AM

3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
There is a great documentary done by CNN or MSNBC called Latino in America.

They followed the story of an interracial couple in PA. A mexican man and white woman. They caught a lot of flack from the towns people and eventually he was murdered one night by a group of white men.

I'm Latin and my boyfriend is white and I never have problems besides the occasional dirty look from other young women. Not sure if its a race thing or if they are jealous.

My BF has never told me of any problems and my family and extended family think he is great and have never commented on race.

In a diverse and liberal place I would say there is a 99% chance you are safe no matter what race.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:30 AM

20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
Are you just looking reasons to be aprehensive? You admitted you, and I assume no one you know personally, has ever had any problems being in an IR. You actually had to do some searching to find a few articles on the subject. Do you actually know from the articles that the violence was specifically becaure of the IR or perhaps it had some personal aspect because all the people involved knew eachother?

Old 11-07-2012, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Are you just looking reasons to be aprehensive? You admitted you, and I assume no one you know personally, has ever had any problems being in an IR. You actually had to do some searching to find a few articles on the subject. Do you actually know from the articles that the violence was specifically becaure of the IR or perhaps it had some personal aspect because all the people involved knew eachother?
Not apprehensive, but I guess just trying to further explore whether these are isolated incidents, which they seemed to be. One thing I was careful to do was to ask for respectful replies because I didn't want this to turn into a bashing thread, and so far, the replies have been very respectful and on topic. I know from the articles that the males did not like the male in the IR dating the female of their race. In all incidents, there was racial slurs and harassment from the attackers before the attack happened. I'm not sure if the victims escalated it any by trying to argue back. If that is the case, then the victims had the chance to avoid attack by leaving the area. I know that some men would fear their manhood would go down the drain if they avoided a confrontation in front of their female companion, but when you're seriously outnumbered, that is the smart thing to. In the case in Buffalo, the attackers got prison terms. I'm not sure if the other cases were prosecuted yet. In Savannah, they have not found the attackers yet.

Last edited by Kemba; 11-07-2012 at 10:25 AM.. Reason: Add more information

Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,246,318 times
I'm a white guy (for context only) and I was in an interracial relationship (marriage) for 14 years. Those years were broken down between Hawaii and Texas. In Texas, I live in a small, conservative west Texas town of 90k people. I have never felt as if there was a physical threat against me, but I'm not a small guy either. None of my multiracial kids has ever been attacked or in a fight because of their race (they may have mouthed off or something, but never because of race).

Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM

20,015 posts, read 20,514,746 times
I live in a small rural southern town. The entire county has a population of 70k. The nearest incorporated town to me has a pop. of about 2500. I know several IR couples and its actually common to see IR couples among whites and blacks and whites and latinos. I know of no violence against IR couples. One would think if that kind of prejudice were common it would rampant in a community like mine.

Old 11-07-2012, 05:03 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,114,204 times
Go West. The likely hood of this happening is almost zero. I do not understand why IR couples continue to live in hostile environments. Move to places where you can live in peace.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:31 PM
Status: "My eyes are rolled back so far I can see my brain." (set 12 days ago)

13,387 posts, read 11,879,321 times
Depends on how many ignorant people you live near. I have three interracial couples on my street and no one gives them a hard time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or