U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:55 PM

4,829 posts, read 4,808,096 times

Advertisements

I believe there is ongoing stereotyping of Americans as people on top of disillusionment and disappointment with the things and ideologies that USA is associated with (this mostly applies to Eastern Europeans, especially Russians). There is nothing wrong about stereotyping and generalizing, both are essential for our mental health. I wouldn't call it "hate". People change, world changes, challenges change, stereotypes must change too.

Old stereotypes of Americans that Europeans developed 150+ years ago (practical, independent, straight shooting & sincere, not burdened with social formalities, but somewhat limited in knowledge, education & finesse) no longer valid (except limited in knowledge part , there is plenty of education though ). The correct question would be - what aspects of the "median" national character changed so much over past 150 years that foreigners must reinvent their stereotypes. It's not matter of "hatred", it's just that old stereotypical American no longer exists. Unfortunately, new stereotypical American is far less attractive than the old one. Fortunately, new stereotypes are still in making.

Last edited by RememberMee; 11-08-2012 at 10:04 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 12:46 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,537,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
They hate fatties?

Weird reason to hate a nation.

What's up with that?
Because being fat is associated with being lazy, and not caring about oneself enough to not get fat. Then we complain that airlines and stadiums don't have seats big enough for us, etc.

Assuming OP's premise is true, I can see why other countries have issues with us. We meddle in the business of other countries, when we should be focused on the mess at home. We spent tens of millions of dollars and impeached a President over a blowjob. There was a national uproar over a half second nipple sighting at the Super Bowl. We complain about all "the cheap goods from China", and Walmart, but somehow Walmart is the largest company in the world. We whine a lot but don't really do enough to make a difference on so many fronts. We spend billions trying to keep pot out of most people's hands, but cigarettes and alcohol are legal.

We spend an enormous amount of time, money, and focus on ridiculous things that mean less than nothing.

Much of this comes from a few friends that lived in Europe for more than 15 years, and their views when they returned.

Old 11-09-2012, 01:18 PM

20,632 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreatforlife View Post
It's always been confusing to me. Why do they hate on us? Is it their media? Is it our media? Wherever I go, I see someone from Europe calling an American fat, stupid, or corrupted. It gets annoying sometimes.
It's called jealousy.

I used to work in the tourism industry and let me tell you, Europe has nothing to brag about. They've got their share of fat and stupid so they should probably put a sock in it.

I used to do airboat tours in the Everglades. Some people come in all cocky thinking they are going to pull a gator by its tail out of the water and show off to their friends how "manly" they are. (This was usually Italians and Chinese.)

Some come in scared to death. Some people are scared but willing to take a chance and it's like a roller coaster ride...you trust everything will be ok, you know something could happen that would not be good at all, you take the risk and it's a thrill. These are my favorites.

So, one day, I had this group of ladies on my boat, they were a little loud but they were excited, happy and, they were thrilled. See, I can work with that. I can make that tour one hell of a fun time with people like that.

But, we weren't even off the dock when some European snot decided to make it known that he was NOT happy with these ladies enjoying themselves. He didn't say anything, his face said it all. Well, I've been to Europe, I lived there for three years, I know their little thing.

So I asked him if he was ok. He mentioned that "In Europe we are more reserved...." (I waited for the arrogant sniff at the end, the way he talked).

I said, "I understand that. But you're in America now so why not try having some fun for a change."

The whole boat laughed and even Mr. Grumpy "We Are So Much More Refined Than You" European, lightened up around these ladies.

Their excitement and laughter was really contagious and if one would just allow themselves to relax, they could get swept up in it...and he did. Finally.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:24 PM

5,481 posts, read 10,057,369 times
I think there is bleed over of some Europeans hating American politics and not necessarily Americans. Some of it may stem from the plethora of Starbucks and KFC's popping up. Some of it may be from the AMerican tourist "demanding" those around speak English and get offended when they don't (or with that approach don't want to) Some of it may be from the reluctance or inability to view the world from a broader perspective than just an American point of view.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM

8,402 posts, read 19,537,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
^

That ties into the loud American tourist stereotype in Europe.
I spent a couple weeks in Europe in '99, with several other people. One of them, a woman, portrayed that stereotype. Her response to anything that didn't immediately go her way was to speak more loudly, and/or to argue. When we tried to check into our hotel in Berlin, the clerk had a little trouble finding my friend's name. In less than a minute my friend was nearly shouting at the clerk, whose grasp of English was not the best. Fortunately two things happened at the same time-the manager came out to see what the noise was about, and I basically shoved my friend out of the way to see if I could help. The situation calmed immediately but over the course of the trip was repeated to some extent a couple more times.

Sorry about that, fellow Americans.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:44 PM

19,275 posts, read 20,155,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel de Vol View Post
Hmmm... 'Over-sexed, over-paid and over here?'

Europeans don't hate Americans. Well most of them I know don't (and I probably know far more Europeans from far more countries than I do Americans ...and I know a lot of those, too. )

Europeans do not hate you. You confuse some of them, you **** some of them off (and being 'pissed off' is better than being pissed on) and you make some of them jealous.

You can't please all of the people all of the time - nor should you try to do so.
You're right, of course. I was over-generalizing. I've spent a lot of time in Europe, though, and as one travels from east to west, the level of (not hatred; maybe amused contempt?) seems to rise. Though most of it is the same kind of over-generalizing on the part of Europeans that I was guilty of in my post!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:13 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,154,998 times
Maybe because we chant "We're Number One" or "USA USA USA" every opportunity we get?

I'm American and even I find that incredibly obnoxious.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM

19,275 posts, read 20,155,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
Maybe because we chant "We're Number One" or "USA USA USA" every opportunity we get?

I'm American and even I find that incredibly obnoxious.
Well, then, there's no reason for Europeans to hate you, is there? But some do. Or are you saying that the earth's population of obnoxious people is somehow concentrated in the USA? I ask because I've met jerks (and nice folks ) all over the world.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:55 PM

2,890 posts, read 5,154,998 times
I think the media tends to show us at our worst! I don't think they hate us, but I can see why they wouldn't love us.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:08 PM

20,632 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
^

That ties into the loud American tourist stereotype in Europe.
Maybe but the ones who complained the loudest over something that is not controlled? (ie: wildlife)

Europeans.

One guy was so mad he slammed his drinks down on the cash register and broke it. The boss took his credit card and made the guy pay for a new one.

In the end, though, these are all stereotypes. I met plenty of Europeans who were hilarious, fun and kind. It's the same as not all Americans are fat nor are they all loud when they visit other countries.

I base my opinions on what I see in real life, not what I see on t.v. I base my opinions on more than one experience.

In the end, though, if some Europeans hate Americans, I just really don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates