U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 08:24 PM

778 posts, read 797,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TELLING THE TUTH View Post
I am from Great Britain been many times to America for holidays( vacations) met some real nice people on my travels but have also met some real ignorant idividuals .
I noticed a comment above how America "Gets things done " what you mean like getting the areas back to some kind of normaility after that terrible storm last week ? so many good decent folk still without electric , with out shelter .
If thats how you get things done well all I can say is you need to try harder .
Its not the movies where the hero of the day Arnie saves 1000 folks from drowning its not yeee arhhh john wayne .
people are suffering and have nothing
Sadly your Government give away to other countries far too much money from your hard earned taxes you pay .
America doesn't look after its own enough .
Another comment above " when your no1 " NO you are not number one your country is in the same if not more mess than countries all over the world .
Dont forget it was your banks and bankers who caused the mess in the first place , now getting back to why some of you think that Europeans hate you , not all hate you and thats a very strong word to use " Hate" thery dont like what America does , how it behaves , how it gets involved in so many countries politics that really has nothing to do with America .
Just like my country Great Britain gets pulled into all these conflicts we should mind our own bussiness same goes for America , you have lost so many young men and women fighting an un winable situation just like we have here and really for what ? your need and the wests need for gas .
Your so called worldly wise senators , Governors , polititians at times show so much ignorance of world events its truely laughable

On one trip to SC I was in a restaurant when one of the waiting staff who was at a guess approx 17 or 18 asked me if we had telephones here in the UK ? no the girl wasn't stupid in fact she was rather inteligent so what on earth do they teach these youngsters in school ?

As I say I have been to AMERICA many times what I have seen of it I like , but like any there are many ignorant people .

Americans at large, generally dont LEAVE the country, so they have NO idea what its like outside, or how other countries view us in general.

A simple trip overseas is all it takes. Opens your mind.

In America, people LOVE, ****ing LOVE LOVE LOVE to use these useless and meaningless slogans like "In 'Merica we get things done!" "We're number one!" etc etc. Its useless ****ing rhetoric thats been passed down from decade to decade, generation to generation, but the key thing here is, you have to maintain that. A lot of the pride of this country is founded on decades ago.

"but we're number one!"

In what, obesity? poor education? income disparity? twitter followers? social network users? collective dumbing down of a society?

There are basic things I am proud and grateful of having, but I also dont blurt out these meaningless slogans and realize there is much work to be done in this country to repair its image, internationally and domestically.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:21 PM

587 posts, read 894,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I think the media tends to show us at our worst! I don't think they hate us, but I can see why they wouldn't love us.
Why not? - I married one 30-odd years ago.

It does happen. Some people actually bother to get to know others before they decide what they are like.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 PM

1,931 posts, read 3,323,481 times
Hate = Ignorance. So anyone who hates (in either direction) is being ignorant.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:12 AM

587 posts, read 894,783 times
Are you a British XPat (or even an XPete? )

Have you ever googled 'Women of Walmart'?

I suggest there is a difference between 'hatred' and 'derision'.

I'm 'somewhat overweight' - but I can fit into one aircraft seat (even a 1970'S seat - and they were far smaller )quite comfortably and by next year, I should be at 'fighting weight' (15lb to go!)

16-ton ocean-going females (particularly those who need a tug (an electric ride-on chair) to cart them around the store deserve derision!)

I once met a gentleman called Bill Buckley. His IQ was (perhaps) a couple of points ahead of mine. His command of the English Language exceeded mine (and that rankled!)

I am the most arrogant, opinionated person I know. I have met 4 or 5 people in my life (remember the bit about 'opinionated' ? )who are so much smarter and so much more clever than am I that they leave me trailing in their dust. I don't even come near.

They were all Americans.

My IQ is hardly shabby.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:58 AM

8,402 posts, read 19,542,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
That president was impeached because he lied under oath (perjury), engaged in witness tampering and obstructed justice. All of those are illegal; it doesn't matter why he lied under oath.
Of course he lied. He's married! Married people who cheat lie about it, until they're confronted with proof. The rest was all nonsense, and embarrassing for this country. I've yet to find anyone who thinks it was worth the resources we poured into the whole process, and the disruption of the country over such a silly issue.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:07 AM

1,736 posts, read 1,537,479 times
Europeans rather like Amercans, actually. They're much more negative about the American government.

This is pretty much how Americans feel about the subject too.

America has a lot of power, which extends far beyond the borders. Imagine how you'd feel about the American government if you belonged to a group which weren't allowed to vote, and didn't even get the consideration the government gives to voters.

Old 11-11-2012, 01:58 PM

29,805 posts, read 15,217,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreatforlife View Post
It's always been confusing to me. Why do they hate on us? Is it their media? Is it our media? Wherever I go, I see someone from Europe calling an American fat, stupid, or corrupted. It gets annoying sometimes.
I think you may be seeing things that just aren't there. Many Europeans are certainly puzzled by some typical American attitudes and actions, but hate? Nah. There are of course the inevitable tourists-vs.-locals confrontations,but in general, Europeans will spend much more time outlining the shortcomings of their neighboring European countries than the US. Get an Englishman started on the shortcomings of the French or a Frenchman on Germany, and you'll realize that the attitude towards the US is downright gentle in comparison.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:49 AM

12,093 posts, read 9,609,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The English are very fond of Americans. I never have heard people speak badly of ordinary American people. I watched the attempts to impeach President Clinton with utter amazement. Who cares who a President has sex with?

The war on drugs is stupid, and a waste of money. All it's done is make criminals rich, and criminalised a lot of people.

Invading other countries like Iraq doesn't make sense. What did Iraq have to do with 9/11? I remember 'shock & awe' being advertised like a new season show. Lots of innocent people died, and many soldiers maimed and killed.

I guess that is why America is hated by many in that part of the world. We in England have longer memories, and know who our true friends are. We stand by America, just hope that you think long and hard before invading any more countries.
Well, the following was a post from a UK poster, and according to him (not that I believe him), you lot in the UK despise us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Exactly. Nobody I know admires the US, most loathe it. Nobody is stupid enough to buy into the crap they see on television with regards to the US and its lifestyle.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM

22,152 posts, read 26,620,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Of course he lied. He's married! Married people who cheat lie about it, until they're confronted with proof. The rest was all nonsense, and embarrassing for this country. I've yet to find anyone who thinks it was worth the resources we poured into the whole process, and the disruption of the country over such a silly issue.
How many married people lie about it under oath? Perjury is not "silly."

Clinton himself could have stopped all the resources put into the whole process if he didn't lie month after month.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 AM

22,247 posts, read 5,508,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Well, the following was a post from a UK poster, and according to him (not that I believe him), you lot in the UK despise us.
I have never in my life come across anybody who has said anything like "I hate Americans" - never. As I said, people of my generation have long memories. My Grandmother, during the Second World War had a son who was a prisoner of War. He had been taken prisoner at Dunkirk in 1940. My wifes dad was badly injured fighting the Germans in Africa in 1941, one of her Uncles taken prisoner by the Japanese in 1942.

Our backs were to the wall. Luckily for us, Hitler decided to invade Russia in 1941. Our brave pilots putting him off invading England during 'The Battle Of Britain' in 1940. If America hadn't come into the war at the end of 1941, the outcome would have been very different. My Grandmother used to invite young American soldiers into her home. She would give them a cup of tea, and listen as they talked of missing home. She told me many were just kids. My dad was just a young boy. The 'yanks' would give him chewing gum and a smile. My grandmother got her son back. She was very aware many American moms didn't.

These are very different times, but, I visit America, and find the ordinary people there to be, in the main, the same sort of people I grew up admiring. Friendly, outgoing, and polite. Not everyone, but in the main.

America has military power beyond most people's imagination. Put that power into say the hands of Iran or North Korea. It doesn't bare thinking about. All I hope is whoever is American President, they use this power wisely. I don't believe this has always been the case in recent years, which has resulted in some hating the US. Iraq was a massive mistake, for you, and for us. But, I understand the pressure President Bush came under after 9/11. The American people wanted someone to pay for this attack.

The internal problems in the US make concentrating on trying to solve those very important. We are all worried about Iran, and what it's up to. But, another war would be ruinous for the US economy. A lot of young people in Iran are fed up of their lives being so controlled by their government. Attack them, and they will rally round their leaders. If it's to be done, make sure it HAS to be done.

Trying to be the world's policeman is a difficult job. All I hope is for America to do this in a fair and even handed manner. Only interfere in the business of other countries when there is no other choice
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates