U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM
 
5,453 posts, read 7,484,992 times
Reputation: 2141

Advertisements

Really makes you wonder why:
1. Americans pay insane amounts for private schools, as they still have no idea where the "rest of the world is" (I know someone who was paying $18,000 a year for Kindergarten!)
2. What a heck do they study in college, aside from learning how to acquire insane amounts of debt!?
3. Why in the world do they make people get a 4 year degree to have a $12/hr job as administrative assistant to fax, copy and type word documents all day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s06 View Post
This is why I'm too embarrassed to write where I live, on this forum; I'm a transplant, and I don't want people to associate me with the bad reputation of the region.



I'm surprised! Millions of Americans have read the Harry Potter series, which mentioned other towns besides London; I would've thought that that exposed them to life in other countries.

I'm glad that some of my relatives were born in other countries, and, like my mother who was born in England, helped educate me a little about what life is like outside the U.S..



Oh, I don't like this, either! My theory is that the major American networks fear that they wouldn't have as big an audience who'd be interested in original foreign T.V. shows. So, in order to appeal to a mass, American audience, and therefore, increase a chance of success and wealth, they decide to Americanize it, casting American actors.

I wish foreign T.V. shows were shown on major network channels; I have to settle for borrowing some of them from the library. I loved Spooks. After watching it, I feel that American shows are too maudlin, hokey, and sappy- Person of Interest, for example, which, despite being set in NYC, doesn't really showcase multi-cultural ethnic groups. I'm glad that the U.K. did that with Spooks.

 
Old 11-14-2012, 11:04 AM
 
29,805 posts, read 15,208,051 times
Reputation: 15584
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubssoxfan View Post
I don't believe German's take Siestas. I don't recall that occurring in the parts of France I visited either. Isn't it typically more of a southern Europe Mediterranean practice?
Indeed. Germans work hard when on the job, but don't feel bad about leaving at 5, either.

I fondly remember the CEO of the German company I worked for back when, gently chastising people at the annual company event, because he felt they took too many two-week vacations - he felt that for a proper, restorative, break you really should take three weeks in a row instead.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:29 PM
Status: "Bountiful pine needle harvest" (set 21 days ago)
 
Location: Near Manito
19,273 posts, read 20,151,367 times
Reputation: 13358
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I worked with a guy from Poland who said an American in Poland would always be welcome.
Amen to that. My wife and did some volunteer teaching in rural Poland a couple of summers ago. We have never experienced such warmth and sincere affection. They couldn't do enough for us -- and that goes for the most influential NGO types all the way down to humble farm workers. We continue to correspond with the friends we made, and we will continue to visit Poland in the future.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 02:59 PM
 
Location: Sinking in the Great Salt Lake
12,899 posts, read 18,446,350 times
Reputation: 13735
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreatforlife View Post
It's always been confusing to me. Why do they hate on us? Is it their media? Is it our media? Wherever I go, I see someone from Europe calling an American fat, stupid, or corrupted. It gets annoying sometimes.
It's because we are so arrogant as a country. We think we are "all that" but in reality we tend to suck at just about everything.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Hove,UK
132 posts, read 107,355 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingGalah! View Post
That's because Europe is really old, in an historical sense Some of the buildings, castles etc.. cannot be found elsewhere. Much of these building were lost of course during the two world wars, but I visited Prague a couple of years ago & was amazed at how much of the city still retained original buildings. Cities like London have a good mix of modern with old but most places in America don't have any really old buildings, that's why places like New York look the way they do...
REALLY?? You don't say??

When I said it makes Europe look old it was meant to be metaphorical..... pardon for stretching your ability of mental association that little bit too far!
 
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
 
Location: St Paul's Bay, Malta
11,482 posts, read 5,904,674 times
Reputation: 3287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
REALLY?? You don't say??

When I said it makes Europe look old it was meant to be metaphorical..... pardon for stretching your ability of mental association that little bit too far!
Which is why I put a after what I wrote

I know what you meant, but was just making the point about how Europe really is old, that the culture etc.. is just as old as the buildings/cities...

So there was mental association, sorry if you didn't notice
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:31 PM
 
Location: 406
1,419 posts, read 1,463,129 times
Reputation: 1394
Having participated in many discussions regarding the topic of European sentiment toward Americans, this narrative from the European perspective seems to be the most common:

MCDONALD'S adskfjas;dlfj eriqwjeipo fdgijap SARAH PALIN adskfja; ewioerj a[dsof OBESE adkfeiowpq asdfger CAPITALISTS adsak;leitrh REDNECKS dfqiupewot GUNS dkfqjwpethgerwiu TEABAGGERS dfaqerpt 43t438uj REPUBLICANS fqeiqthjpewtj asdpoiwhjt dsuaip RELIGIOUS fdiqpewrt 4i9uth g2u890 HEALTHCARE adslfkjhe fiphagds UNCULTURED fqierw9p 4938th dasf;lgkj0 GEORGE W BUSH fe9q2o COWBOYS sadi ';ojhug UNPAID MATERNITY LEAVE dsf943o 023r09hjg eitpqr4 adsk;flj oiertj qwe TEXAS dgfjqewpr 94-38 ioj MAKE OBAMA KING eiupoq [oujhq34 923hfasd.

You get the picture.

Americans do themselves absolutely no favors in pondering the question of why a global faction of people generally loathe Americans when, in fact, anti-American chauvinism is simply a fact of European intellectual history. Nothing is going to change it, and I personally couldn't care less what their opinions of us are (perhaps the fact that said opinions are rarely grounded in sound experience or objective observation has something to do with that).

But hey, this shouldn't be taken to mean that I don't enjoy discussions that essentially showcase prejudice toward Americans--I honestly do enjoy it, not only from Europeans, but also from American Europhiles who don't, well...know any better.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 04:39 PM
 
Location: Australia
4,004 posts, read 5,084,617 times
Reputation: 6767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
It's because we are so arrogant as a country. We think we are "all that" but in reality we tend to suck at just about everything.
It's rare for an American to have such a clear vision about how their country looks from the outside.

I know I'm not European but I know why America is viewed so dimly on the world stage.

Ordinary Americans are wonderful modest polite generous people...yet even they are just fine with poor people living in the streets and not getting adequate health care or food. This callousness is something your average Australian just doesn't understand.

America will go and invade a country to "save the people" yet are quite happy to allow their own poor to suffer and die from lack of medical care or adequate living standards.

America is a very Christian country which also embraces distinctly unchristian values like the death penalty and the right to bear arms, and as such you look kinda stupid and hypocritical and backward.

Most Americans are brainwashed from a very early age to worship their country yet this has the effect of blinding them to some huge problems.

We are far more socialist in Australia and that seems like an almost criminal belief to some Americans. I just can't get my head around a country that is one of the wealthiest in the world having so many homeless and poor people.

I just don't get it.



I am an Obama supporter because I think he is the beginning of some serious change in your country, to a kinder, gentler place.

I am incredibly proud of Americans voting him in TWICE now. It's a good sign that things are finally changing...yet some so-called "patriotic" Americans would like to see him shot. This is incredibly hypocritical as well....democracy voted him in, so Americans should respect the choice of their fellows, not start petitions for succession.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM
 
8,021 posts, read 6,222,835 times
Reputation: 12004
Quote:
Originally Posted by natethegreatforlife View Post
It's always been confusing to me. Why do they hate on us? Is it their media? Is it our media? Wherever I go, I see someone from Europe calling an American fat, stupid, or corrupted. It gets annoying sometimes.
I go to a university with several foreign exchange students from Europe, also did a paper and presentation with a guy from Germany. I never sensed any hatred or vitriol from the guy or his friends. Anybody with a shred of common sense knows that people, no matter what country they are from are individuals.
 
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM
 
Location: 406
1,419 posts, read 1,463,129 times
Reputation: 1394
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
It's rare for an American to have such a clear vision about how their country looks from the outside.
Allow me to interject with the fact that Australians (along with members of just about any other nationality on Earth), likewise, have a tendency to possess this shortcoming in common with their American peers.

You're immediately off and running with the sort of arrogant, patronizing critical input that I personally feel no willingness to consider or respect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Ordinary Americans are wonderful modest polite generous people...yet even they are just fine with poor people living in the streets and not getting adequate health care or food. This callousness is something your average Australian just doesn't understand.
Well thank you for such a tremendous compliment; unfortunately, I, an average American, feel apt to consider your "positive" sentiment to be effectively null and void after processing the unfounded, typically anti-American diatribe that follows.

No average American is "just fine" with poverty and homelessness--not only is an assertion like this utterly false, but also personally insulting. It truly is unfortunate that you seek intellectual grandiosity by characterizing an entire population as basically consisting of selfish misanthropes.

Lacking any genuine understanding of American sociology is apparently not an obstacle for you, unfortunately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
America will go and invade a country to "save the people" yet are quite happy to allow their own poor to suffer and die from lack of medical care or adequate living standards.
America (like Australia) has never invaded a country with the intent of "saving people," and many of us are aware of that fact. Perhaps you should consider your own country's activities in modern warfare before chastizing any other for the same infractions (I say this with the reliable assumption that self-evaluation isn't something you, a typical self-aggrandizing Aussie, are willing to engage in).

As for medical care (which CANNOT be legally denied to ANY American) and adequate housing for the poor not being on par with Australian standards, well, perhaps that isn't such a horrible thing. If Americans want to make strides toward effective economic changes that will ultimately benefit the poor, I don't think that Australia is the first country we should seek to emulate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
America is a very Christian country which also embraces distinctly unchristian values like the death penalty and the right to bear arms, and as such you look kinda stupid and hypocritical and backward.
A "very" Christian country?

I disagree. While I do suppose that it isn't uncommon for an American to simply express a belief in (a) God, this does not make the U.S. a "Christian country" in its social and ethical practices. The only people who I've ever noticed characterizing the U.S. as "Christian" are quasi-theocrat Republican factions and non-American critics of the U.S. I think that a somewhat common American answer to the question of "is the U.S. a Christian country" would involve many references to church and state separation.

In terms of its relation to Christianity, the issue of the death penalty being compatible with Christian belief is debatable; however, it's hilariously absurd to criticise our Second Amendment as "un-Christian." As pointless as it is to debate the topic of gun ownership with a culturally anti-gun Australian, it would be interesting if you could elaborate on that a little futher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
Most Americans are brainwashed from a very early age to worship their country yet this has the effect of blinding them to some huge problems.
No American under the age of 40 has been "brainwashed" into believing that their county must be unquestionably worshipped (especially not if any significant part of their elementary/middle/high-school education took place in the 90s). Americans (or at least some of them) may know how to wave their flag, but most of them probably couldn't tell you why--how is that a sucssess story in societal "brainwashing"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
We are far more socialist in Australia and that seems like an almost criminal belief to some Americans. I just can't get my head around a country that is one of the wealthiest in the world having so many homeless and poor people.

I just don't get it.

Yes, Australian society is composed of people with, by and large, a very socialistic orientation. Fine by me.

While I'm certainly not a rank-and-file laissez faire capitalist, I fail to understand the sort of rigid social collectivism that molds the status-quo(s) of other English-speaking countries, and hey, guess what? I'm not any more interested in understanding you people than any of you are in understanding me or any of my fellow compatriots.

Last edited by Montguy; 11-14-2012 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top