U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 11-17-2012, 10:06 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,906 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Reputation: 57027

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Schizophrenia is known for showing up in the teenage years. I have a family member who this happened to. He had all the symptoms spoken about in these posts and we went through the same heartaches as others as we watched in horror unable to help. He was not a marijuana smoker.

I think it would be difficult to determine the exact cause. My heart goes out to anyone who has had to deal with this, but blaming marijuana is difficult for me to accept. I do not condone the use by children or teens just so this is not misunderstood.

I am not solely blaming marijuana.

What I am saying is that there was a pre existing predisposition to mental illness that was apparently exacerbated by his use of marijuana - and that many studies point to a direct link between marijuana use, especially frequent use starting before the brain is completely developed, as something that brings on or triggers schizophrenia and personality disorders, and that the brain is DAMAGED beyond repair often, as opposed to the psychotic effects being temporary. I've given links to numerous studies to substantiate what I'm saying.

My point is that this is not something that is "extremely rare." It affects about 2 percent of marijuana users. But let me ask you something - if you had a two percent chance of irreversible brain damage and permanent mental illness/psychosis from using a mind altering substance, would you do so - or would you feel like it was an acceptable risk for a loved one?

I'm not being accusatory - just bringing this very real scenario to the attention of people who may not be aware of the risks.

 
Old 11-17-2012, 10:16 AM
 
Location: Out West
20,612 posts, read 15,431,629 times
Reputation: 24167
Some people are best put on ignore...

OP, I'm very sorry to hear about your brother and I DO WISH people would talk about the harm marijuana can cause. So many believe it's a harmless drug.

Hmm...they should ask your brother, or (pronounced like Owen)'s brother. Or they could ask my Godparents who lost their son at 19 because of marijuana. Or they could ask me, who was hit by a driver who came at me head on who had been smoking marijuana...and I'm still paying for that accident in injuries, 13 years later.

It is NOT harmless.
 
Old 11-17-2012, 10:27 AM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,869 posts, read 12,505,578 times
Reputation: 3540
It's still going to be illegal for anyone under 21yr of age so all these stories are just that and they happened with it being illegal.
Those kids should not be consuming it and if they are, where are the parents?

It's kind of hard to cover up the smell and being high.

It will still be illegal to drive etc etc legalizing it does not mean you can get high anytime anyplace and anyone can light up.

Does it come with some problems, sure, but what doesn't.
If adults want to consume it then they should be free to choose.

ps people fall asleep while driving and end up killing others too.
People take legal drugs and drive, they kill too.
Drink to much water, and you can die from such a harmless substance as water.

How about we stop finding things to blame and we start to take some personal responsibility for what you do?
 
Old 11-17-2012, 10:32 AM
 
Location: Hove,UK
132 posts, read 107,410 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thanks, everyone, for the excellent feedback so far.

I have a question for those of you who believe that marijuana should be legal. Do you believe that meth should be legal? What about heroin? Why or why not?
Yes,all drugs should be legal,regulated and taxed. Especially Heroin cause the potential for damage is so great. Switzerland even has Heroin Clinics,reduced their burglary rates by 65%.The cops love it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Here is an interesting article. The percentage of people who become psychotic DOUBLES from 1 percent to 2 percent in those who use marijuana as a teen - even just occasionally. The more regular the usage, the higher that percentage climbs. By psychotic, I don't mean isolated events - I mean mentally ill persistently.
You mean like the 1.5 percent of the general population that are psychotic? You are aware that the rate of psychosis in the gen pop hasn't changed for decades,right? Despite Cannabis becoming very popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Do you actually read what you post?? There's a may there. And it is clearly stated that those with psychotic pre-dispositions may develop psychosis. I'll suggest this to you: People with mental health issues often turn to drugs in order to self-medicate. Some of that self-medication may do harm. 1-2% is within range of the normal rates of psychosis within society,so what is your point?

Psychosis doesn't develop in I solution,there are multiple reasons and causes. By the way,what about that drink? How do you know that didn't do any harm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...uana-addictive

For the Loved Ones of Marijuana Addicts - Marijuana Anonymous

Why is there marijuana anonymous, for a non harmful, non addicting drug??? That is what the potheads tell you.
There is also Food Anonymous.... stopped eating yet??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Let us see here. But marijuana is so safe and so good for society, it is working so well in Amsterdam. Really?

Amsterdam closes cannabis shops | Reuters

"The Dutch coffee shop policy has come under fresh criticism after the Dutch cities of Bergen op Zoom and Roosendaal, located near the Belgian border, said they will close all their shops within two years to combat drug tourism and crime."

Again, no one will care about the true facts. A simple search can provide all the anti marijuana information someone wants. However, they don't want. They want to get stoned and cause society a great deal of harm, without any repercussion. Those are the facts.
Yes,some coffee shops have been closed,mostly at the Belgian and German Border.You know why? Cause drug tourists from countries where dope is still illegal come to the Netherlands by the millions and some cause trouble. If dope were legal everywhere there wouldn't be those tourists.

The Netherlands aren't waning in there Anti-Prohibition stance. Amsterdam isn't introducing the weed-pass like other cities are.

By the way,did you know the dutch heroin population is shrinking? That's because they successfully split the soft from the hard drugs.
Also,Dutch pupils have the lowest dope-smoking percentage in Europe.... guess why? cause it's un-cool.
 
Old 11-17-2012, 10:41 AM
 
Location: Hove,UK
132 posts, read 107,410 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG, Eoin - reading your story is like reading the story of my own life with my brother. I am so sorry that you too are dealing with this sad scenario.



In retrospect, my parents had the economic power to force my brother into some sort of treatment - and to give them access to his medical records - but they enabled him to live the lifestyle he led, with no ramifications for his actions. Like your brother, he was insufferably rude to my parents - but they kept him on the company payroll for TEN YEARS - a paycheck every month, though he wasn't actually working. Your parents DO have options but it sounds as if they are in the same emotional state as my parents - afraid to anger your brother, afraid he will go off on a tirade, move out and live in the streets, etc.
Ah,thank you very much,we're getting closer to the truth,aren't we....

So your parents enabled your brothers disgusting actions for years,gave him no guidance or control,and decades later when the damage is done you come on here and tell the world how weed destroyed your brother.....

Don't blame it on the weed but quite frankly your screwed up family. I know families like yours,funny they all have psychotic sons with damaging habits,are rich,money is everything but love is nowhere to be found.

I'll sum it up for you: You support a public policy that:
costs billions
costs tens of thousands of lives
means millions of people are in prison
has done the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do.

because your brother was screwed over by an unloving,uncaring family and turned to dope.Therefore the dope is at fault.

I suggest you look closer to home. Take care.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-29-2012 at 08:10 PM.. Reason: Deleted rude comment
 
Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Up North
3,404 posts, read 7,254,275 times
Reputation: 3036
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beth56 View Post
Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth used marijuana for PMS.

This could be exactly my point. Two inbred women who didn't live in the real world may have smoked pot for PMS. PMS is not a condition that needs to be medicated. If you need to be medicated for irritability and cramps then you will have major problems living in this world.
 
Old 11-17-2012, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,906 posts, read 32,676,353 times
Reputation: 57027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will21st View Post
Ah,thank you very much,we're getting closer to the truth,aren't we....

So your parents enabled your brothers disgusting actions for years,gave him no guidance or control,and decades later when the damage is done you come on here and tell the world how weed destroyed your brother.....

Don't blame it on the weed but quite frankly your screwed up family. I know families like yours,funny they all have psychotic sons with damaging habits,are rich,money is everything but love is nowhere to be found.

I'll sum it up for you: You support a public policy that:
costs billions
costs tens of thousands of lives
means millions of people are in prison
has done the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do.

because your brother was screwed over by an unloving,uncaring family and turned to dope.Therefore the dope is at fault.

I suggest you look closer to home. Take care.
I have made it very clear - intentionally - that there is more than one component to the issues my brother has - isn't that the case with most addictions, and most emotional and mental illnesses? There have been many opportunities for my brother to receive help - or to take responsibility for his own actions and SEEK help.

That does not diminish in any way the role that substance abuse - ESPECIALLY marijuana - has played in his current state of affairs. This is per a team of medical experts - not the musings of internet forum participants.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-29-2012 at 08:10 PM..
 
Old 11-17-2012, 11:09 AM
 
Location: Northern MN
3,869 posts, read 12,505,578 times
Reputation: 3540
OP
I learned that most brain dysfunctions / mental illness happens before the age of 21.

Using marijuana, or cannabis, may cause psychosis to develop sooner in patients already predisposed to developing it.
.

According to the study led by Australian researchers, in which data from 83 studies involving more than 20,000 patients were analyzed, marijuana users experienced psychosis about three years younger than non-users. Users of other substances (besides pot) experienced symptoms of psychosis two years sooner.



Theories about an association between marijuana use and schizophrenia include several –sometimes interrelated - scenarios: The possibility that cannabis causes schizophrenia; that cannabis may cause people vulnerable to schizophrenia to develop symptoms; that cannabis may make schizophrenia symptoms worse; or that people with schizophrenia are more likely to use cannabis, according to the study.

Just that theories and the nice thing about theories is you/they can change them at any time,


Does cannabis cause psychosis?

The issue of whether cannabis leads to increased risks of psychosis and psychotic symptoms is likely to remain contentious given the uncertainties that exist in both the epidemiological and neuroscientific evidence. Within epidemiology, the evidence for a causal link is suggestive, but issues relating to measurement, confounding, and reverse causality are likely to remain causes for concern. On the other hand, although the current neuroscientific research is still a long way from definitive conclusions about how regular use of cannabis could lead to the development of psychoses, the evidence to date has been firm.

The increased risk applies to people who inherit variants of a gene named COMT and who smoked cannabis as teenagers. About a quarter of the population have this genetic make-up and up to 15 per cent of the group are likely to develop psychotic conditions if exposed to the drug early in life. Neither the drug nor the gene raises the risk of psychosis by itself.


Other street drugs are also very dangerous, LSD, Meth - partly because they are produced in home laboratories with virtually any possible combination of additional substances mixed in with the drugs. See: Crystal Meth & Schizophrenia

Last edited by snofarmer; 11-17-2012 at 11:20 AM..
 
Old 11-17-2012, 02:09 PM
 
Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,367 posts, read 8,271,003 times
Reputation: 5901
The question still stands... if damn near everything is lethal to somebody, then how do we decide what substances should or shouldn't be illegal in an otherwise free society?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-29-2012 at 08:12 PM..
 
Old 11-17-2012, 02:12 PM
 
2,222 posts, read 9,140,928 times
Reputation: 3225
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pear Martini View Post
This could be exactly my point. Two inbred women who didn't live in the real world may have smoked pot for PMS. PMS is not a condition that needs to be medicated. If you need to be medicated for irritability and cramps then you will have major problems living in this world.
I'm not sure what you mean about being inbred, unless you are saying only inbred people would have PMS or smoke marijuana, which we all know is not factual.

As far as PMS, millions of women suffer from PMS and take drugs for it. Midol and aspirin did not exist during Queen Victoria or Elizabeth's time. Marijuana was used as a medicine, just as herbs were. I'm pretty sure that the women of today who suffer from debilitating PMS are living in the real world. Sounds like something you don't suffer from, but don't discount those who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top