U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Under the Redwoods
3,748 posts, read 5,813,444 times
Reputation: 5962

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyahm22 View Post
Nowadays all teens have started smoking marijuana . I don't know what pleasure do they get when they smoke them .
But look at their attitude. They say that they love to be high when they finish smoking it and it has another happiness when they are high.
Thank god that government has banned this crap and made it a non bailable offense.
Where on earth are you getting your information?

ALL teens? How do you come to this conclusion?
I have a teen who has no desire to smoke marijuana. I've had three children all together and only one ever smoked. He did not smoke to 'get high'. He has some serious aggression and attitude issues and marijuna calmed him down and made it so we could reason with him.

And as far as a 'non-bailable offense'; there is basically no such thing. Often in extreme cases like serial killers, bail is set at such a high amount no one could post it.
With marijuna, many who get arrested for sales or just posession can be bailed out. In some states possession under a certain amount is just a ticket, no arrest.

A guy in the town I used to live in was one who got 'in trouble' here and there. He got pulled over one night pulling a trailer with expired tags (he's not all that bright which partly the reason he gets in trouble). In the trailer where some small marijuna plants, in the truck pullin the trailer was a gun. Those two together are a felony. He did go to jail that night, but he was out after a few days after his parents posted (very reluctantly) bail.

 
Old 08-24-2013, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Florida
14 posts, read 26,943 times
Reputation: 25
Though there are very, very few cases of marijuana causing detrimental, permanent harm to anyone -- there are some.
It's extremely unfortunate for your brother having to undergo cause a dramatic change in his life that leaves him mentally disabled however; there are proven studies that marijuana has medicinal properties that heal many illnesses and ailments. That being said, you can relate it to any other "medicine" in pill or liquid form available for purchase in the US or anywhere else. Some people have adverse effects on medicines, and long term use can yield to permanent damage.
I'm all for the legalization of marijuana because I think the medicinal benefits are much greater than the harmful possibilities, but at the same time I'm aware that everyone reacts to medicine differently.
I suppose we can relate it to a similar situation in where a plant can be bad for humans -- Poison Ivy. It's only harmful to you if you're allergic to it. I suppose the same situation could happen with marijuana and possibly even more.

With that being said -- I find it hard to believe that marijuana alone has created this debilitating illness for your brother. I think there is definitely more behind the story than him just being an avid pot smoker. I understand that your physician said that it's a direct result from marijuana however, I also believe that he could be incorrect. I'm not by any means suggesting that you don't listen to your doctor or at least take heed to his expertise but it's possible that he has a negative predisposition about marijuana that lead him to believe that it could be the cause.
I'd definitely suggest getting more than one opinion.

Schizophrenia (as you mentioned that it's similar to) can onset later in life rather than in early childhood, though some cases prove otherwise. It's possible that he simply has schizophrenia and that it isn't a result of any substance abuse.
Just my personal opinion.
 
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Florida
14 posts, read 26,943 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Where on earth are you getting your information?

ALL teens? How do you come to this conclusion?
I have a teen who has no desire to smoke marijuana. I've had three children all together and only one ever smoked. He did not smoke to 'get high'. He has some serious aggression and attitude issues and marijuna calmed him down and made it so we could reason with him.

And as far as a 'non-bailable offense'; there is basically no such thing. Often in extreme cases like serial killers, bail is set at such a high amount no one could post it.
With marijuna, many who get arrested for sales or just posession can be bailed out. In some states possession under a certain amount is just a ticket, no arrest.

A guy in the town I used to live in was one who got 'in trouble' here and there. He got pulled over one night pulling a trailer with expired tags (he's not all that bright which partly the reason he gets in trouble). In the trailer where some small marijuna plants, in the truck pullin the trailer was a gun. Those two together are a felony. He did go to jail that night, but he was out after a few days after his parents posted (very reluctantly) bail.
*Like*
Before it became legal in Colorado, under an ounce of marijuana was basically a slap on the wrist. You Got a ticket and had to pay a measly fine and were on your way.
Definitely not a "non-bailable offense" lol I mean, now it's legal for recreational use!

And what about "SPICE", the synthetic pot that's making people go APE??
yeah... I say we legalize marijuana. At least as an opposition to this spice, crap that's legal for purchase.
 
Old 08-24-2013, 08:44 PM
 
1,825 posts, read 1,349,436 times
Reputation: 1373
It wasn't a scientific research site, but at least it allowed more than 1 opinion & was entertaining to read. One 16 year old said he smokes it everyday all day & started at 10. I wish I could be him. I'm 62 & seems I'll just have to die while almost never feeling good. I have 15-20 medical conditions that I get about no effective help from Docs & harmaceuticals cos. Often they don't even diagnose, so how can one be treated unless they diagnose themselves?

I need cannabis several times daily & haven't had it for about a year. That's why I get nasty with people on forum who refuse to learn. I feel like I need to put a bullet through my brain, & about the only thing stopping me is knowing that it would give our govt-corp alliance too much satisfaction.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Research shows adverse effects of marijuana on teens as drug use among students appears to be rising | EdNewsColorado




Thats just one, there have been many others.

No, not all mental illness should be treated with marijuana. I have seen panic attacks from people on pot, and it isn't a pretty thing. It really is in how you use it, in what way you use it, and in what amounts you use it. Now I'm not going to tell an adult what they can and shouldn't do. I smoke pot, I wouldn't tell someone else not to, but I've seen people who have a history of other mental illness freak the hell out on marijuana.

Just like alcohol, it isn't for everyone. I have children, and I will tell them not to smoke until they get older. After that, they can get some from the old man all they want, if they just wait until they are 21.
 
Old 08-24-2013, 09:52 PM
 
1,825 posts, read 1,349,436 times
Reputation: 1373
No one has ever been proven to have died from MJ, according to those who seriously research this topic. To me, that makes it a truth. Should I prefer people die, with no source given? I know of many of the top researchers, Donald Tashkin, Donald Abrams (CA), Lester Grinspoon (MA, MD ret f/Harvard), Manuel Guzman, University of Complutense, Spain. Many more researchers on You Tube videos are discussing their findings.

1997 Kaiser Permanente (CA HMO) marijuana study, about 51,000 non-users, 14,00 users, concluded cannabis is not a (direct) cause of death. Many more studies agree. 57 studies as of 2009 say it doesn't cause cancer or even fights cancer. These are on Granny Storm Crow's list. Over 1,000 studies & verifiable anecdotes, arranged by condition helped.

Cannabis has been shown to help 124 medical conditions rxmarijuana dot com/ Did you look at it, are you willing to look at it? You can read how it helped a particular condition that someone you care about might have. And all the pills they tried that did not help.

The govt-corp alliance will tell you all the dangers of weed, real or invented. In main stream media, the truth is rarely if ever allowed, if it might interfere with profits. We have to try to counteract those false & misleading statements. People who use "weed" don't have as much financial incentive to lie/mislead.
Can you imagine what Big Pharma & their paid helpers might say to prevent even a 1% loss of their trillion dollar a year business? So false & misleading statements are repeated forever.

Might it seem stupid to say people should not use cannabis to save their lives because there might be 3% of the side effects of a pill that doesn't work? Permanent insanity/brain damage & death have been ruled out by all researchers specializing in this area. Best wishes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
First rule of arguing, don't say "no one ever" unless you can back it up.

Second rule of arguing, saying something is "truth" doesn't make it so.

This is the problem with the pro-weed gang, they refuse to even contemplate the hazards of marijuana. It's like a religion to these jokers: "marijuana cures all and has no side effects." Riiiight.
 
Old 08-28-2013, 07:14 AM
 
Location: Florida
14 posts, read 26,943 times
Reputation: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
First rule of arguing, don't say "no one ever" unless you can back it up.

Second rule of arguing, saying something is "truth" doesn't make it so.

This is the problem with the pro-weed gang, they refuse to even contemplate the hazards of marijuana. It's like a religion to these jokers: "marijuana cures all and has no side effects." Riiiight.
"No one" : Back up
Marijuana Smoking Doesn't Kill

Marijuana does have side effects like just everything else in the world does.
Pot get's you high.
Pot makes some people hungry.
Pot makes some people tired.
Pot is inhaled smoke into the lungs and can cause lung cancer.
But what substance doesn't eventually kill people?
Pot doesn't "kill" people.
^Link...
 
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM
 
Location: Wonderland
40,904 posts, read 32,658,014 times
Reputation: 57026
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3meggiex3 View Post
Though there are very, very few cases of marijuana causing detrimental, permanent harm to anyone -- there are some.
It's extremely unfortunate for your brother having to undergo cause a dramatic change in his life that leaves him mentally disabled however; there are proven studies that marijuana has medicinal properties that heal many illnesses and ailments. That being said, you can relate it to any other "medicine" in pill or liquid form available for purchase in the US or anywhere else. Some people have adverse effects on medicines, and long term use can yield to permanent damage.
I'm all for the legalization of marijuana because I think the medicinal benefits are much greater than the harmful possibilities, but at the same time I'm aware that everyone reacts to medicine differently.
I suppose we can relate it to a similar situation in where a plant can be bad for humans -- Poison Ivy. It's only harmful to you if you're allergic to it. I suppose the same situation could happen with marijuana and possibly even more.

With that being said -- I find it hard to believe that marijuana alone has created this debilitating illness for your brother. I think there is definitely more behind the story than him just being an avid pot smoker. I understand that your physician said that it's a direct result from marijuana however, I also believe that he could be incorrect. I'm not by any means suggesting that you don't listen to your doctor or at least take heed to his expertise but it's possible that he has a negative predisposition about marijuana that lead him to believe that it could be the cause.
I'd definitely suggest getting more than one opinion.

Schizophrenia (as you mentioned that it's similar to) can onset later in life rather than in early childhood, though some cases prove otherwise. It's possible that he simply has schizophrenia and that it isn't a result of any substance abuse.
Just my personal opinion.
Thanks, and I agree with a lot of what you posted.

The thing is - we will never know, because many recent studies HAVE shown a direct link between regular MJ use as a teen and the development of schizophrenia as an adult. So, can we prove this is what caused this in my brother? No. But is there growing evidence out there that this CAN cause exactly what happened to my brother? Yes.

So therefore, my suggestion is - don't risk it. It's terrible. It's permanent. There is no cure. If something else will work to cure you, or make you feel better, whatever, without taking this risk, take that instead.
 
Old 09-04-2013, 01:33 AM
 
Location: Sango, TN
24,889 posts, read 20,307,565 times
Reputation: 8606
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thanks! But we'll never really know exactly what caused it, so I'm just going by what his doctors have told us. I definitely think that weed was a big part of his problem.
This isn't a pity party though. I feel awful about your brother, but you seemed to have started this debate under the premise that, if its bad for your brother, its bad for everyone. Some people shouldn't take opiates either, doctors simply don't give loratabs to those people.

Some folks are allergic to peanuts, it doesn't mean we should kill off Jimmy Carter.

I don't think anyone is happy about what happened to your brother. Its that many of us are trying to debate you on the particulars of your brothers situation, and you will never reply, how is this a debate? Repeatedly ive asked about what other medication he was on. Did he tell the doctors the whole story. Had he had a history of mental illness before smoking marijuana? Perhaps he was depressed. Doctors can only go as far as the information they have, its similar to the people trying to debate the specifics of yiur brothers case.

"We'll never really know....." was your quote. Thats the problem with your argument. Yes, we can know with full facts. We aren't getting the full facts.
 
Old 09-04-2013, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Okieville usa
26 posts, read 33,400 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Thanks, and I agree with a lot of what you posted.

The thing is - we will never know, because many recent studies HAVE shown a direct link between regular MJ use as a teen and the development of schizophrenia as an adult. So, can we prove this is what caused this in my brother? No. But is there growing evidence out there that this CAN cause exactly what happened to my brother? Yes.

So therefore, my suggestion is - don't risk it. It's terrible. It's permanent. There is no cure. If something else will work to cure you, or make you feel better, whatever, without taking this risk, take that instead.

Again it is sad about your brother. Just as its sad that people are dying from the so called food we are sold everyday at fast food places, grocery stores etc. Causing obesity, diabetes, etc. Then there is our drinking water catching on fire, being poisoned by factories , oil companies etc. And our air. Causing untold deaths everyday all over the world. And the so called drugs prescribed legally, people dying from side effects or wrong dose, or overdose etc everyday. EVERYDAY THOUSANDS FROM THESE WORLDWIDE. So using a little MJ has not even SORTA come close to all of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top