Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:39 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post

Can you tell me where the study after study appears that says cannabis damages young brains? I will guess govt websites like nimh.gov, ondcp, dea, drugfreeamerica

Sometime within the last few years, the govt said grant money was available to research what harms "marijuana" could do to kids, that it does not do to adults. Within a few months, some researchers claimed they found 3 teenagers that had strokes! I doubt that cannabis could cause strokes in teens, when strokes have not been reported in adults as a result of cannabis use. Usually older people are the ones who have strokes, from something that caused a blocked artery. Cannabis is not suspected in strokes, as it widens the blood vessels (which should reduce the chance of stroke at any age).

I don't agree "that people with mental illness shouldn't tamper with their brain chemistry". I'm pretty sure you & anyone rational person who knows something about it (& isn't paid to lie) would answer no to the question "Is using cannabis worse than committing suicide?" I think cannabis is best treatment for most with mental health issues. It was recommended in the US Dispensatory of 1851, according to book "Licit & Illicit Drugs", published by Consumers Union in the early '70s. New pills are only tested 4 months by a couple thousand, or 6 months by several hundred. I prefer 1000s of yrs tests w/1 billion.

Big Pharma now admits anti-depressants can make more youths commit suicide or think about it. But they still refuse to admit they can have the same effect in some older people, perhaps especially people like me who don't have a completely filled out brain in all areas (autism suspected). Three year olds are put on Big Pharma's toxins, but non-toxic cannabis is too dangerous for those under 21-25?

Many *very* young kids do not have normal brain development in all areas. I think this often results in a diagnosis of autism, if there is any diagnosis. Some natural health docs say they think this may be caused by all the shots forced on babies before their 1st birthday. Then some defender of Big Pharma says that's a lie, without offering any proof or even an alternate theory. US does have relatively high death rates by age 1. I don't think this is caused by cannabis, as use under age 10 is pretty rare, and use in 1 to 3 year olds is likely almost non-existant.

Thanks in advance for any studies that prove cannabis damages young brains. Best wishes.
Research shows adverse effects of marijuana on teens as drug use among students appears to be rising | EdNewsColorado

Thats just one, there have been many others.

No, not all mental illness should be treated with marijuana. I have seen panic attacks from people on pot, and it isn't a pretty thing. It really is in how you use it, in what way you use it, and in what amounts you use it. Now I'm not going to tell an adult what they can and shouldn't do. I smoke pot, I wouldn't tell someone else not to, but I've seen people who have a history of other mental illness freak the hell out on marijuana.

Just like alcohol, it isn't for everyone. I have children, and I will tell them not to smoke until they get older. After that, they can get some from the old man all they want, if they just wait until they are 21.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:27 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Thanks for the link. Some interesting facts, & opinion from many individuals & groups. That Ms Riggs seems nutty, trying to equate cannabis with poisonous mushrooms. Dollar signs flashing in eyes, LOL.

I had a panic attack once, when used lots of the higher THC for 1st time, thought it's normal effect was abnormal. Got real numb around lungs, with no numbness elsewhere. Friend offered a beer, drank it slowly & then was calm as I felt slight numbness spreading. One of the bad things about prohibition is in poor neighborhoods, only low THC/low CBD is available. In richer suburbs, only high THC, low CBD is available. I have close to 20 health problems, I need lower THC than the priciest stuff, but higher CBD
than the cheapest stuff. Think I read low THC, high CBD has become only 4% of what's available.

But what I need is body numbing to stop my whole body from sending constant pain messages to brain.
And the right type for that is pretty much unavailable at *any* price, let alone affordable.

I can understand you not wanting to give it to your kids, if you fear there's any chance of a bad reaction, or if Child Protective Services can claim youth use encouraged by parent & take them away (& put them in a profit-making foster home where they're more likely to get multiple pills than love).

Once we show legal adult use isn't a problem, I hope we can lower the legal age for general use, or at least get all 124 medical problems it can help approved for kids. Or maybe laws on books will be ignored. They may be the only ways to get weapons removed from high schools. I was shocked, reading about 10% in Adams Co High Schools brought to school clubs, guns, or knives. If I was a kid in that district, I'd refuse to go & try to apply to another district or to be allowed to be schooled at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Research shows adverse effects of marijuana on teens as drug use among students appears to be rising | EdNewsColorado

No, not all mental illness should be treated with marijuana. I have seen panic attacks from people on pot, and it isn't a pretty thing. It really is in how you use it, in what way you use it, and in what amounts you use it. Now I'm not going to tell an adult what they can and shouldn't do. I smoke pot, I wouldn't tell someone else not to, but I've seen people who have a history of other mental illness freak the hell out on marijuana.

Just like alcohol, it isn't for everyone. I have children, and I will tell them not to smoke until they get older. After that, they can get some from the old man all they want, if they just wait until they are 21.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:02 AM

4,921 posts, read 7,687,088 times
The original post is highly misleading. The truth is that no one ever died from cannabis and no one ever went brain dead because of it. While this person's bother may have used marijuana it is far more likely that alcohol or or other drug abuse caused the brain damage.

If pharmaceutical companies could find a way to market marijuana you would see it on every drug store shelf in the world. The US government claims that marijuana has no medical benefits and yet holds the patents on the plant. Our government does massive amount of research on the subject of medical marijuana even supplying their human test subjects with up to 300 marijuana cigarettes a month.

What is missing and is the most import issue about marijuana is it's medicinal use. The only way to get high from marijuana is by heating it. That is usually done by lighting a joint, bong, or other device containing marijuana. If marijuana is not heated it is one of nature's single most potent and important healing substances of all times. If you are interest do some research online and you will be astounded at the benefits of cannabis.

Here is one comparison for marijuana vs medication. The medication is Lyrica that we have all seen advertised on the TV.
Lyrica is said to treat peripheral neuropathy which is a nerve pain generally effecting the feet of those, but not limited to, with diabetes. As you listen to the TV ad for Lyrica you will hear the side effects described, weigh gain, depression, and most important, SUICIDE etc. In contrast a cannabis or marijuana topical cream treats the same nerve pain more effectively and with absolutely NO SIDE EFFECTS. Which would you rather take if you suffered from PN?

The most important thing to consider is that marijuana has been demonized for reasons of profit of business and industry. While a person can get high by burning it the majority of people throughout the world are missing the medicinal benefits of a plant that can be grown almost anywhere by anyone.

Recently I read of a baby, (child less that two years old), was overrun with tumors. Doctors performed several surgeries to remove the tumors but he tumors kept coming back. Finally those doctors gave up and sent the child to a hospice to die. The parents were opened to anything to save their child. One of the hospice workers started giving that child one ounce of marijuana juiced everyday. Within the first month the child had improved so much that it was allowed to go home. Three months later, and continuing the cannabis juice, the child was given an MRI that showed there were no tumors. The stories go on and are too many to list here. Do your own research and do not rely on reports from and entity that is run by big business especially the pharmaceutical companies.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:26 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,417,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
The original post is highly misleading. The truth is that no one ever died from cannabis and no one ever went brain dead because of it. While this person's bother may have used marijuana it is far more likely that alcohol or or other drug abuse caused the brain damage.

First rule of arguing, don't say "no one ever" unless you can back it up.

Second rule of arguing, saying something is "truth" doesn't make it so.

This is the problem with the pro-weed gang, they refuse to even contemplate the hazards of marijuana. It's like a religion to these jokers: "marijuana cures all and has no side effects." Riiiight.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM

411 posts, read 831,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

This is the problem with the pro-weed gang, they refuse to even contemplate the hazards of marijuana. It's like a religion to these jokers: "marijuana cures all and has no side effects." Riiiight.
The truth is, the USA government does not have any right to make marijuana illegal and is actually severely breaking the law by enforcing an illegal law. If police try to arrest people for marijuana, the people then are fully within their rights as citizens of the USA to perform a citizen's arrest and take the police officer into their custody, and can actually water-board the police office to gain useful information.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:51 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post

Are you allergic to reading? Facts about "weed" are all over the internet. I trust Docs who specializr in studying cannabinoids over politicians or police. How many years did they go to medical school?

Do you get medical opinions from Fox News? Bill O'Reilly is a history teacher! Fox once had several women on there giggling, one saying pot causes cancer. So I went to their website & there was the Donald Tashkin 2006 UCLA "marijuana" study saying it does not cause cancer & seems to reduce the chance of being diagnosed by cancer 10%-25% over those who don't use it.

124 medical uses proven, see them at rxmarijuana dot com/ Site is by 84 year old Lester Grinspoon, retired prof/MD f/Harvard Med. Sch. He's top expert, been studying it for decades since his young son died from cancer & is author of a few books on this subject. But he couldn't know anything, right?

Also good, Granny Storm Crow's list with about 1,000+ studies & verifiable studies, arranged from A to Z by condition helped. Much good info on Wikipedia, search cannabis on youtube, see Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

Here are the hazards of MJ: might cause cough; 1% chance of panic attack. What other harms do you think it causes, & what are your sources? Thanks! Best wishes.

Old 08-21-2013, 01:44 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
Are you allergic to reading? Facts about "weed" are all over the internet. I trust Docs who specializr in studying cannabinoids over politicians or police. How many years did they go to medical school?

Do you get medical opinions from Fox News? Bill O'Reilly is a history teacher! Fox once had several women on there giggling, one saying pot causes cancer. So I went to their website & there was the Donald Tashkin 2006 UCLA "marijuana" study saying it does not cause cancer & seems to reduce the chance of being diagnosed by cancer 10%-25% over those who don't use it.

124 medical uses proven, see them at rxmarijuana dot com/ Site is by 84 year old Lester Grinspoon, retired prof/MD f/Harvard Med. Sch. He's top expert, been studying it for decades since his young son died from cancer & is author of a few books on this subject. But he couldn't know anything, right?

Also good, Granny Storm Crow's list with about 1,000+ studies & verifiable studies, arranged from A to Z by condition helped. Much good info on Wikipedia, search cannabis on youtube, see Law Enforcement Against Prohibition.

Here are the hazards of MJ: might cause cough; 1% chance of panic attack. What other harms do you think it causes, & what are your sources? Thanks! Best wishes.
The way to discredit people is to dissect their argument, not dismiss them due to ignorance.

Smoking pot is bad. I used to be a cigarette smoker, but had quit for years. I began smoking pot every day again about the time I was 28. I did not aquire my smokers cough for a couple of years, until I was 30, but I know it got progressively worse. And ive seen other pot smokers do the same thing.

This isnt scientific, and its been my experience that most people I know who smoke pot, smoke cigarettes.

Smoking anything regularly is not good for you. I use marijuana everyday. Its why I went to vaporizing and making cannabutter and cookingwith that. Smokers cough went away again.

So marijuana by itself doesn't cause cancer. Smoking it can, if done to much.

But I explained her answer, and dispelled it also. I didn't laugh at it.

I've been an activists for over a decade now, the quickest way to have someone dismiss your argument is if you simply dismiss theirs. Even idiots have a point of view. In order to change their mind, you must be polite.

Old 08-24-2013, 05:43 AM

252 posts, read 580,618 times
I am so sorry for your brother @KathrynAragon
Nowadays all teens have started smoking marijuana . I don't know what pleasure do they get when they smoke them .
But look at their attitude. They say that they love to be high when they finish smoking it and it has another happiness when they are high.
Thank god that government has banned this crap and made it a non bailable offense.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:22 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
All these anecdotal stories about "someone I knew got their brain fried from pot". There will always be people who over indulge, whether it be pot, alcohol, food, sex, whatever. Does that mean all these things should be outlawed?

The illegality of marijuana has very little to do with the supposed dangers of it. It has to do with big pharma not being able to make money off it, keeping law enforcement folks in their jobs, and money pouring in from the incarceration of pot smokers in privatized prisons.

Everything in moderation. Marijuana has definite medical benefits and should be made available to those who want them. Everyone should exercise personal responsibility in its use. Just because someone cannot control their drinking and is a raging alcoholic does not mean all alcohol should be banned. We tried that before with disastrous consequences.

Old 08-24-2013, 11:29 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaliyahm22 View Post
Nowadays all teens have started smoking marijuana . I don't know what pleasure do they get when they smoke them .
But look at their attitude. They say that they love to be high when they finish smoking it and it has another happiness when they are high.
Thank god that government has banned this crap and made it a non bailable offense.
Where on earth are you getting your information?

ALL teens? How do you come to this conclusion?
I have a teen who has no desire to smoke marijuana. I've had three children all together and only one ever smoked. He did not smoke to 'get high'. He has some serious aggression and attitude issues and marijuna calmed him down and made it so we could reason with him.

And as far as a 'non-bailable offense'; there is basically no such thing. Often in extreme cases like serial killers, bail is set at such a high amount no one could post it.
With marijuna, many who get arrested for sales or just posession can be bailed out. In some states possession under a certain amount is just a ticket, no arrest.

A guy in the town I used to live in was one who got 'in trouble' here and there. He got pulled over one night pulling a trailer with expired tags (he's not all that bright which partly the reason he gets in trouble). In the trailer where some small marijuna plants, in the truck pullin the trailer was a gun. Those two together are a felony. He did go to jail that night, but he was out after a few days after his parents posted (very reluctantly) bail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates