Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,022,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Sorry...didn't see your 'joking' emoticon! lol

I fully understand the difference between food stamps and welfare and their requirements. Like I say, I may be old but I ain't stupid.

My mom gets food stamps. For the past couple of years it's been about $117. This month they lopped off $40 but she's not sure why. She gets them to supplement her $650 mo. SS. I'm glad I live in her guest house and pay rent. It's helps her out a bunch. And lucky for her she owns her home, outright, paid cash for it and her car is old but owned as well. She still has to pay car/home insurance, property taxes...although those are greatly reduced due to her age/circumstances, utilities and all the expenses that go with a home. So, she will now get $77 a month. I hope the govt. doesn't go broke! I have always shared a lot with her and my mom will never starve...unless we both go down together!
Please, please tell your mom to go down to the foodstamp office and ask them WHY they did this??

Was it the STATE or the FEDS that lopped it off and WHY?

See? This is what I mean about being at the mercy of the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
Here's a link to WUC and one of the user's stockpile pics., so you can get an idea
You can look around and get info on how to stockpile and coupon

Junkymonkey's First Ever Stockpile Pics - WeUseCoupons.com

You will have to sign up first (it's free ) to see them
Thank you.

Old 11-24-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That's ALL I've been trying to say! And since it's NOT true now why do people keep putting out there that it IS. I certainly DO thank the workers before me who fought to get what we have now. Never said otherwise. I too have probably helped people get better things from their employers over my many years in the workforce.

Those court documents are not new things. They are old things. Yes, I know there are "new" things coming up all the time but that doesn't mean they really are 'bad' things. People love to complain. I guess it adds something to their life, I dunno. I'm not a complainer myself.

Bonuses have been given for a long time here. At least ten years according to co workers who've been there that long. We were talking about it just yesterday since our bonus will be coming on our Dec. 6th check. They used to only be given out once a year and totaled about $1,000 per worker. Since they went to the quarterly bonus we actually get more.
Wow. Not trying to be funny, but I wonder if this is a regional thing?

18,000 walmart workers signed a petition to go on strike for Black Friday (which they chickened out on) due to supposedly 'bad' treatment by Walmart STILL.

I do believe you on YOUR experiences, but it does make me wonder if maybe certain stores treat their staff differently.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:04 PM

5,466 posts, read 4,420,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post

18,000 walmart workers signed a petition to go on strike for Black Friday (which they chickened out on) due to supposedly 'bad' treatment by Walmart STILL.

I do believe you on YOUR experiences, but it does make me wonder if maybe certain stores treat their staff differently.
The unions were trying to unionize wallmart for along time and the employees do not want to unionize. I heard that unions bussed people in to protest. I guess it is the difference where you get your news.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:
Please, please tell your mom to go down to the foodstamp office and ask them WHY they did this??

Was it the STATE or the FEDS that lopped it off and WHY?

See? This is what I mean about being at the mercy of the government.
I guess she's not too concerned anymore. I just talked to her. She has had my nephew and his wife living with her for a year now and they both have jobs and contribute so she's going to let it go. Even if she lost them all together she knows she will never starve and her kids will take care of her. She thinks it 'might' be because she gets a discount on her electric bill but she always has. Funny thing is though, the took off exactly what her last discount was. Hmmmm.... We'll see if it remains that way.

Old 11-24-2012, 03:31 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,900,535 times
Quote:

Nope, not regional. It's company wide and always has been. Employees have a website with forums such as this and we discuss everything there. People from all over the country tell what they plan to do with their bonus, or cry because they are either not getting one or a small one.

I am positive that different stores treat their employees 'differently' but it's the managers, not the company. The company is the same for everyone but just like every company they have their good and bad management teams in individual stores. If a store consistantly gets low/no bonuses the company needs to be doing some 'weeding out' and put people in there that can get those scores UP! We count ourselves very lucky that we have such good managers in our store. It's always clean, neat, stocked and few complaints. We DO have a few cashiers that could take some lessons in organization and customer service but overall they are a great bunch of people. When I was on vacation this year I visited about a dozen stores in NV, CA and OR. I wasn't all that impressed by the employees. They weren't nearly as friendly, helpful and 'smiley' as ours and when I got back I had a whole new level of appreciation for all of them. And I told them so.

I saw some pics today of people walking around outside a Walmart holding signs and I actually wondered how many of them were real employees. I'd say the vast majority of Walmart workers couldn't give two hoots about being unionized. Nobody in our store cares about it.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:15 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,867,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
We all know that welfare is abused by the screaming meme's that want more free stuff. Someone I know said that one way welfare queens abuse it is.

Did you notice how Walmart always has big buggies of returns. What welfare queens do is buy stuff with their EBT card and then go straight to the customer service return department and return stuff. Then they get cash. Anyone know if this is true?
I guess those “welfare queens” as you call them are really taking advantage of the system. Most or a large percentage of women are trying to support their children and take care of them because some “no welfare male” father has left the home and not paying any child support. Thus these women have little or no choice in the matter. Maybe the system should go after these “deadbeat fathers” and then the mothers could stay home and take care of the children. However I hear very little about the “deadbeat fathers” and any positive action to reduce this problem. But yes,,,, lets hammer those welfare queens.

Most of this is urban legends with stories that are exaggerated to fit the story telling of how bad the system is and why we need to stop it. “Stop it”! If the government doesn’t help these having, then who will? The churches can’t and don’t help everyone that is in need, they simply can’t, it would overwhelm them. And I don’t see too many of the upper 2% doing much in the way of taking care for those of need.

What’s left,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, let the people go hungry, get sick, live on the streets, and turn to a way of crime that is far worse than if they might be scamming the system.

If you don’t like the system the way it is, then fix it so that it will work. Unfortunately every time a fix is bad to stop one problem, someone comes out with another way to get around the fix.

The food pantries at churches and other relief organizations can’t do the job, so it’s up to the government. But it’s a job that MUST be done!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:23 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,813,287 times
Quote:
We all know that welfare is abused by the screaming meme's that want more free stuff. Someone I know said that one way welfare queens abuse it is.

Did you notice how Walmart always has big buggies of returns. What welfare queens do is buy stuff with their EBT card and then go straight to the customer service return department and return stuff. Then they get cash. Anyone know if this is true?
So what! People have to work...and if your part time job is scamming a few bucks out of Walmart...that takes some effort. Do we despise those that scam the tax payer or low end investors for billions? What is the difference? Is it that we think the crooked rich will cause some sort of trickle down effect and the poor do not? They are both part of the same system...In my neighborhood those that collect welfare or disability or who receive old age pension checks...help circulate money back into the system. For about a week out of every month...welfare clients spend all their money...it goes to support many of the small businesses and large corporations...They do not horde their cash...there is nothing to horde.

Welfare clients have a job...to spend money...the little they have circulates.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:20 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,344,416 times
Focus on things you can control. Welfare will always be abused by some.

Old 11-24-2012, 11:35 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,537,472 times
Quote:

You can only buy food with an EBT card.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates