Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 11:01 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,024,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Do you realize that doctors cannot charge anyone qualified for Medicare, even if they are willing and able to pay for it out of their own pocket?
I would love to be able to add to the absurdy low payment my DH's primary gets from Medicare but he is forbidden, by law, to accept it.

We're elderly.....we've had a 'lifetime' to prepare for non-working years.
You just complained about a apparently 'elderly" man using Medicare.Make up your mind.
He was rich though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 11:09 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,368,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He was rich though.
Why are you and your ilk so upset about elderly people, who have done well financially, receiving Social Security checks?

My 77-year old father, for instance, paid into Social Security every year he worked. And, being self-employed, he paid in the FULL amount. He INVESTED in Social Security. So why is there a problem with him receiving his monthly check - and doing so whether or not you think he needs it? The truth of the matter is that he will NEVER live long enough to receive all the money he has paid in, so he has actually LOST money by paying into Social Security.

These are people that have PAID IN! These are NOT people who are expecting something for nothing!

Old 11-28-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
Why are you and your ilk so upset about elderly people, who have done well financially, receiving Social Security checks?

My 77-year old father, for instance, paid into Social Security every year he worked. And, being self-employed, he paid in the FULL amount. He INVESTED in Social Security. So why is there a problem with him receiving his monthly check - and doing so whether or not you think he needs it? The truth of the matter is that he will NEVER live long enough to receive all the money he has paid in, so he has actually LOST money by paying into Social Security.

These are people that have PAID IN! These are NOT people who are expecting something for nothing!
Calm down Big George. Jeez! It's not that serious.

I don't care if people get Social Security or Medicare. I'm just pointing out that just like welfare, foodstamps and medicaid, they are GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS!

Just like YOU said in a previous post, what did OLD PEOPLE DO BEFORE SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE?

Yeah, exactly.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Calm down Big George. Jeez! It's not that serious.

I don't care if people get Social Security or Medicare. I'm just pointing out that just like welfare, foodstamps and medicaid, they are GOVERNMENT HANDOUTS!

Just like YOU said in a previous post, what did OLD PEOPLE DO BEFORE SOCIAL SECURITY AND MEDICARE?

Yeah, exactly.
THAT is where you are wrong. Dead wrong. It is NOT a "handout" if the government is sending you a small portion of what you previously sent the government. If I have $100,000 in the bank, the bank is NOT giving me a "handout" if they send me $1,000 of that $100,000. They are sending me a portion of what has always been mine.

If any elderly person - my dad, for instance - has paid $800,000 into Social Security over the years, he is NOT getting a "handout" from the government when they send him a $700 per month check. That's the way crazy liberals do math, and is a perfect example of why our country is in such a financial mess.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
THAT is where you are wrong. Dead wrong. It is NOT a "handout" if the government is sending you a small portion of what you previously sent the government. If I have $100,000 in the bank, the bank is NOT giving me a "handout" if they send me $1,000 of that $100,000. They are sending me a portion of what has always been mine.

If any elderly person - my dad, for instance - has paid $800,000 into Social Security over the years, he is NOT getting a "handout" from the government when they send him a $700 per month check. That's the way crazy liberals do math, and is a perfect example of why our country is in such a financial mess.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Quote:
Are the children to blame for their parents financial mishaps?

What should be done with them? Watch them starve?

Just curious.
I have to remind myself of this sometimes. It's such a shame that adults choose to bring children into their already desperate situations.

I wish they would require birth control for women on any kind of publicly funded assistance. Not the pill, but something that would be done at the office where and when they go to apply for or receive their benefits. A pill they might not take correctly or not take at all so that they get pregnant on purpose or whatever. But BC that is in and done and will hopefully work for a certain period of time (until their next welfare appointment at least.)

I also think that women on any kind of public assistance should have the option of a free abortion should they become pregnant.

I know that's a highly controversial idea, but I really think it would help to prevent more children being born into these kinds of situations, and it would decrease the amount we tax-payers must spend on other people's bad choices or unfortunate life events.

And if there were such a thing as BC for men, I'd want the same for them, too... but as far as I know it's either condoms or abstinence for the guys... unfortunately. Maybe they could offer the guys an incentive to get a vasectomy? Free vasectomy + extra food stamps for the month they have it done or something? Personally I think that would be great, but again I know it would really **** a lot of people off...

Old 11-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
I have to remind myself of this sometimes. It's such a shame that adults choose to bring children into their already desperate situations.

I wish they would require birth control for women on any kind of publicly funded assistance. Not the pill, but something that would be done at the office where and when they go to apply for or receive their benefits. A pill they might not take correctly or not take at all so that they get pregnant on purpose or whatever. But BC that is in and done and will hopefully work for a certain period of time (until their next welfare appointment at least.)

I also think that women on any kind of public assistance should have the option of a free abortion should they become pregnant.

I know that's a highly controversial idea, but I really think it would help to prevent more children being born into these kinds of situations, and it would decrease the amount we tax-payers must spend on other people's bad choices or unfortunate life events.

And if there were such a thing as BC for men, I'd want the same for them, too... but as far as I know it's either condoms or abstinence for the guys... unfortunately. Maybe they could offer the guys an incentive to get a vasectomy? Free vasectomy + extra food stamps for the month they have it done or something? Personally I think that would be great, but again I know it would really **** a lot of people off...
Abortions kill preborn babies. Let's stick with legitimate birth control, that does not kill somebody.

And they DO have birth control for men. It's called a vasectomy. And it can be reversed.

Have every man on welfare, who has a child out of wedlock, get a mandatory vasectomy. See how quickly things change!

Old 11-28-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

I am 100% behind this. No need to have more kids if you're already in a messed up situation that you can't take care of. Pure selfishness if you ask me.

Quote:
If male birth control were available for men, I am 1000000% POSITIVE that they would NEVER miss a pill, shot or implantation. There would be lines around the block at pharmacies for DAYS getting their birth control method of choice. LOL!

I don't understand why more adult males don't think about getting reversible vasectomies. What are they afraid of?? They can always get it reversed when they meet the woman that WANT to have children with.

If I was a man you wouldn't have to convince me or tell me twice. The procedure only costs a few hundred dollars and will save thousands of dollars in child support for the next 18 to 21 years.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:59 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
My husband got a vasectomy and we have been so happy with it! Nookie is so much more fun when you're not all worried about getting pregnant. (I got pregnant twice while on different types of BC. My mom was the same way - only it was 4 times for her. What can I say - women in my family are fertile myrtles.)

Old 11-28-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Abortions kill preborn babies. Let's stick with legitimate birth control, that does not kill somebody.

And they DO have birth control for men. It's called a vasectomy. And it can be reversed.

Have every man on welfare, who has a child out of wedlock, get a mandatory vasectomy. See how quickly things change!
LOL! I really don't believe too many men will "fight" or try to stop it either. If you were to seriously ask most of them, I bet most would say they never wanted the kids they got to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates