Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM

2,729 posts, read 5,351,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Stop lying! You heard nothing of the sort.

You really believe that welfare and foodstamps pays enough for a person to be able to do this?? Seriously???
Actually, you do need to be open-minded and honest about what is REALLY going on.

Is it RIGHT that people who are receiving Section 8, Foodstamps, etc., have iPhones, digital Cable, 60" plasma TVs, and dress in designer clothes? What is RIGHT about that?

Foodstamps should - and could - be limited to buying staples, and unprocessed foods. No refunds, no credits. Easily done.

We are in a day and age where technology COULD help us cut out most of these abuses. But our politicians do not WANT to do it. They'd lose votes and/or lose campaign contributions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,674,874 times
Default Always abuse

The idea of welfare for the poor is NOT abusive. However, like absolutely everything, there are plenty of abusers. Culling them out has not been a high priority. And individual abusers always get more attention than corporate abusers.

You want to get rid of corporate abusers who hire illegal aliens and pay them under the table with less than minimum wage? Pass a law that says the fine is $10,000 per day, per illegal, no exceptions, no discounts, and if it bankrupts the company--aw, geez. See if that will pass Congress.

Want to be done with individual abusers of food stamps and the like? Pass a law that says if you are caught you will never be eligible for any kind of welfare again, hospitals are exempt from providing medical treatment and, social security payments, when and if you are entitled to them, will be syphoned off until the amount that is determined you cheated is paid. See if that will pass Congress.

Abusers of workers compensation and medicare/medicaid fraud---see above paragraph.

Make it more lucrative for cheaters to move to another country than stay in this one.

Corporate abusers that don't follow required safety laws. Make the fine three times higher than the cost of repair. Bankrupts the company---aw, geez. Don't fund retirement programs or in other ways cheat employees of benefits promised---send ALL top corporate officers that were in charge over that period of time to jail for a minimum, no exceptions, of ten years. See if that will pass Congress.

It may sound ludicrous to many of you, but until we make the punishment far more severe than the reward of the crime, this crap will continue to happen to us.

And, by the way, my politics lean toward the liberal side!

Last edited by Wardendresden; 11-23-2012 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,203,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I may be operating under a false belief here but isn't the EBT card the same as "food stamps"?

The carts of returned or refused merchandise that I see at Walmart usually consist of clothing, household goods, toys etc. I don't believe I've ever seen a return cart piled high with food items. And purchasing a food item and running over to Customer Service to return it would certainly raise some questions, wouldn't you think?

For the record, I'm not on welfare and believe it or not, I have never noticed what the people ahead of me in the check-out line are using to pay for their items. I'm too busy hoping I have enough money to pay for my own!

I worked all my life. My sons are all employed as are their wives. I feel sorry for people who have to live on public assistance through no fault of their own. I also feel sorry for the Judgie McJudgers who seem to take personal offense in the presence of the indigent.
A lot of EBT cards also have cash from welfare on them....

Old 11-23-2012, 11:58 AM

521 posts, read 761,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
We all know that welfare is abused by the screaming meme's that want more free stuff. Someone I know said that one way welfare queens abuse it is.

Did you notice how Walmart always has big buggies of returns. What welfare queens do is buy stuff with their EBT card and then go straight to the customer service return department and return stuff. Then they get cash. Anyone know if this is true?

As someone who used to work in retail as a teen, the bulk of our returns were merchandise items like clothing, & some electronics, etc. We had buggies full of them. I hated it because sometimes i had to sort everything out and send it back to the correct department. Always ended up going home LATE. Anyway, we did have buggies full of food items too but that was a result of customer's handing us back foods they didn't want at the last minute. Very common. Rarely did we have droves of food stamp recipients returning food just to get cash back. Very rare. I don't think I ever had a case like that. If anything we dealt with a lot of con artists who would put phony price tags on clothes and try to get money back for it.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:39 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,998,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
The idea of welfare for the poor is NOT abusive. However, like absolutely everything, there are plenty of abusers. Culling them out has not been a high priority. And individual abusers always get more attention than corporate abusers.

You want to get rid of corporate abusers who hire illegal aliens and pay them under the table with less than minimum wage? Pass a law that says the fine is $10,000 per day, per illegal, no exceptions, no discounts, and if it bankrupts the company--aw, geez. See if that will pass Congress.
I agree, but you know this will never pass muster.

Quote:
Want to be done with individual abusers of food stamps and the like? Pass a law that says if you are caught you will never be eligible for any kind of welfare again, hospitals are exempt from providing medical treatment and, social security payments, when and if you are entitled to them, will be syphoned off until the amount that is determined you cheated is paid. See if that will pass Congress.
Please believe they WANT to do this, but this will most definitely cause civil anarchy and not by minorities either.

One in SEVEN AMERICANS ARE ON FOODSTAMPS. To be approved for foodstamps is no easy feat as some on here believe.

Millions of americans (of all races) are destitute. Yes, your neighbor might look good "visually" with the nice house and decent car, but he's probably fighting a never ending battle of being able to keep his lights, phone and other utilities on, because he's going under financially.

There are women from "upper middle class" homes going to food pantries in "disguise", because they are "ashamed" to be getting "handouts". Most of them live in the red states where Romney won. Go figure.

Blacks and hispanics have been poor and struggling for a LONG, LONG TIME. They know how to deal with poverty situations. They're not the ones you'll have to worry about, but that group that has always believed they were blessed just by being born of a certain race.

But now most of those people realize that if you're not part of the REALLY RICH, then you're no better than anyone else. I doubt very seriously anyone from the Hilton, Vanderbilt, Clinton, or Rockefeller families even know what a "food bank" is.

Quote:
Corporate abusers that don't follow required safety laws. Make the fine three times higher than the cost of repair. Bankrupts the company---aw, geez. Don't fund retirement programs or in other ways cheat employees of benefits promised---send ALL top corporate officers that were in charge over that period of time to jail for a minimum, no exceptions, of ten years. See if that will pass Congress.
I agree with this, but you know this isn't gonna happen either.

Old 11-23-2012, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
As someone who used to work in retail as a teen, the bulk of our returns were merchandise items like clothing, & some electronics, etc. We had buggies full of them. I hated it because sometimes i had to sort everything out and send it back to the correct department. Always ended up going home LATE. Anyway, we did have buggies full of food items too but that was a result of customer's handing us back foods they didn't want at the last minute. Very common. Rarely did we have droves of food stamp recipients returning food just to get cash back. Very rare. I don't think I ever had a case like that. If anything we dealt with a lot of con artists who would put phony price tags on clothes and try to get money back for it.
That's because the OP is lying.

People on foodstamps only return food (unopened) that they made a mistake getting or they found someplace else where they could get it cheaper or a better deal just like EVERYONE ELSE.

NO ONE has ever been able to point out these "designer wearing, driving cadillac, living in luxury apartments on Section 8" welfare queens EVER. She never, ever existed. It's very, very difficult to scam on welfare. It always has been. They've always been able to run your social security number to see if you're working or getting anything "extra".

People LIE so much about the poor it's ridiculous. This is why Clinton and the Senate republicans passed that garbage Welfare Reform Act. All social service programs were impacted, but since they used the face of the BLACK FAMILY as beneficiaries it was easy to pass. I have a feeling when Clinton signed away american jobs using NAFTA, they KNEW millions of jobs would go overseas, mostly factories and manufacturing FIRST.

It didn't start hitting the white collar sector until the late 90s/early 2000s by importing IT professionals from asia. I will never, ever believe there aren't competent IT people HERE in the US, but that's another thread.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:28 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,798,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
A lot of EBT cards also have cash from welfare on them....
Do you personally know that to be true? Have you ever applied for food stamps or government assistance? Where do you get these ideas?

Old 11-23-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Do you personally know that to be true? Have you ever applied for food stamps or government assistance? Where do you get these ideas?
It's true AksarbeN. Foodstamps and cash benefits are shared on the same card.

It's easier to qualify for foodstamps than it is for CASH benefits. They make you jump through hoops to get a little bit of cash. I read on another board that a single person in NY with no dependents only gets $87 in cash and it still takes up to 45 days just to qualify for it. I'm sure it can't be but so much more for women with children.

I really don't know how $87 in cash is supposed to last an entire month in an expensive city like NYC, but obviously New York state thinks it's doable.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:20 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,798,626 times
^^ Thanks for enlightening me on this BIG problem that is going on. I guess all of us should stand in line to get these BIG benefits from the government. lol I've been looking at some factchecking and urban legends for more information about the issue. It appears that there simply isn't as big of a problem as one would think.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:28 PM

2,729 posts, read 5,351,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
^^ Thanks for enlightening me on this BIG problem that is going on. I guess all of us should stand in line to get these BIG benefits from the government. lol I've been looking at some factchecking and urban legends for more information about the issue. It appears that there simply isn't as big of a problem as one would think.
Apparently the federal government disagrees with you. But don't let that change anything.

Federal government targets food stamp abuse | WashingtonExaminer.com
USDA unveils steps to fight food stamp fraud - Yahoo! News
Millions commit food stamp fraud every year
Food Stamp Fraud: Agriculture Department Taking New Steps To Combat Selling Benefit Cards
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates