U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 03:15 AM

46 posts, read 137,353 times

Advertisements

Just this past week there has been two mass killings. Same prototypical profile (white caucasian male in his 20's, who is mad at the world because his girlfriend left him, he failed his final exam, he wasnt being socially accepted). Why doesn't the mainstream media bring this up though. People always blame guns and mental illness to explain the reasons why these men just snapped. They simply just snapped because they do not know how to handle adversity. I really do think that is a huge problem in the white community...entitlement. When something goes wrong or a series of bad events happen they just snap. Its because they hardly ever faced any type of adversity when they were young. Most african americans are used to adversity, whether it is being discriminated against at a young age, to not seeing many role models on TV...I believe this makes them stronger mentally. Just my opinion, because the bottom line is I dont see black men going out to movie theaters, malls or schools, simply because they failed a test, or they lost a girlfriend or they dont like how certain things are being handled in this world. Yet it is black men who are portrayed as being bad, evil, they talk about the issues going on in the black community? Its because of the schools, single parent households, education, hatred....yet with all these problems going on when was the last time you heard of a troubled inner city black boy who has a glock in his hand go up to a mall and start shooting people? He sure does have reason with all the issues he has faced.

Maybe the media does not want to tell us the real truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 07:03 AM

2,737 posts, read 4,065,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
Just this past week there has been two mass killings. Same prototypical profile (white caucasian male in his 20's, who is mad at the world because his girlfriend left him, he failed his final exam, he wasnt being socially accepted). Why doesn't the mainstream media bring this up though. People always blame guns and mental illness to explain the reasons why these men just snapped. They simply just snapped because they do not know how to handle adversity. I really do think that is a huge problem in the white community...entitlement. When something goes wrong or a series of bad events happen they just snap. Its because they hardly ever faced any type of adversity when they were young. Most african americans are used to adversity, whether it is being discriminated against at a young age, to not seeing many role models on TV...I believe this makes them stronger mentally. Just my opinion, because the bottom line is I dont see black men going out to movie theaters, malls or schools, simply because they failed a test, or they lost a girlfriend or they dont like how certain things are being handled in this world. Yet it is black men who are portrayed as being bad, evil, they talk about the issues going on in the black community? Its because of the schools, single parent households, education, hatred....yet with all these problems going on when was the last time you heard of a troubled inner city black boy who has a glock in his hand go up to a mall and start shooting people? He sure does have reason with all the issues he has faced.

Maybe the media does not want to tell us the real truth.
When has the media - in recent years (maybe ever) - been interested in telling us the REAL truth? If we had ever wondered, this past election cycle was proof positive.

You might also want to be aware that, the other day, a guy in China went nuts in an elementary school and stabbed over 20 kids. What does that say about Asians?

And your line about the black kid "who has a glock in his hand go up to a mall and start shooting people," is laughable. They drive around their hood shooting people. It'd take way too much effort to get out of the car & walk into the mall - and after the shoot-out they might have to run, rather than just drive off.

Even so, there is a legitimate point to be made about white kids that are now in their 20s. There are a lot of them that are stupid, lazy, worthless individuals. Period.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-31-2012 at 05:50 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 PM

198 posts, read 197,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post
When has the media - in recent years (maybe ever) - been interested in telling us the REAL truth? If we had ever wondered, this past election cycle was proof positive.

You might also want to be aware that, the other day, a guy in China went nuts in an elementary school and stabbed over 20 kids. What does that say about Asians?

And your line about the black kid "who has a glock in his hand go up to a mall and start shooting people," is laughable. They drive around their hood shooting people. It'd take way too much effort to get out of the car & walk into the mall - and after the shoot-out they might have to run, rather than just drive off.

Even so, there is a legitimate point to be made about white kids that are now in their 20s. There are a lot of them that are stupid, lazy, worthless individuals. Period.
Why don't you ask yourself why people are people blaming this on mental illness instead of acknowledging that this dude just had a criminal mind?? How much effort does it take to understand that the criminal minded are not exclusive to the 'hood' and that just because you live in a neighborhood far away from 'other people', it doesn't meant that you're immune from dysfunctional behavior?

Your comments assure that you don't and won't get what the OP is talking about so.....it is what it is and the body count keeps piling up.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-31-2012 at 05:49 PM..

Old 12-15-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
Why don't you ask yourself why people are people blaming this on mental illness instead of acknowledging that this dude just had a criminal mind?? How much effort does it take to understand that the criminal minded are not exclusive to the 'hood' and that just because you live in a neighborhood far away from 'other people', it doesn't meant that you're immune from dysfunctional behavior?

Your comments assure that you don't and won't get what the OP is talking about so.....it is what it is and the body count keeps piling up.
On the contrary, I understand EXACTLY what the OP is doing. You obviously don't.

Also, perhaps you should actually read what I wrote, rather than just lashing out.

There's NO EXCUSE for what this WHITE KID in Connecticut did. None. End of story.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-31-2012 at 05:51 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 AM

24,683 posts, read 43,116,816 times
You forgot one more characteristic. White male in his 20s who is mad at the world who has easy access to a weapon that shouldn't have a place in civilian society. Australia, for instance, has plenty of disgruntled white males and yet no mass shootings except one. Maybe that says something about America.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:05 AM

46 posts, read 137,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big George View Post

I am just saying there is a double standard. The only black spree killers I can think of are the beltway snipers and probably the only reason why they got very far was that everyone was assuming that the potential suspects were white. There are problems in the black community, but why is everyone so infatuated with our problems rather than focusing on problems in the white community. It is not mental illness or easy access to guns, they just snapped because they dont know how to handle difficult situations when it comes due to there lifestyle of being over represented and getting the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 12-31-2012 at 05:51 PM..

Old 12-16-2012, 03:50 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,640,291 times
With all due respect? I think that your question deserves some type of an answer..

I have seen posters on here as well on other forums getting "offended" by the stereo-type or "profiling" of white americans being mostly responsible for most mass killings in the last couple of decades..

They are taken back however they do not see the ramifications of over generalizing other ethnicities for crimes committed.
Blacks..all are criminals, gang bangers, drug dealers, cross the street when you see them. become hyper-vigilante when you see them..
Hispanics? Out to take over..crime, mexican cartel, ect..
They have absolutely no qualms nor do they lose sleep over these generalizations they excuse themselves by using stats and charts and personal experiences..?

These reported crimes are seen as justified? I don't think so..
Everyone is wondering the same thing but you have actually said what others are already thinking..

I have posted my stats and I posted a few.not all I would have been typing a hell of a lot last night..
I spoke to my dad about this issue last night..He has been in corrections as a capt for over 25 years and he states "Most serial killings, most child molestation charges and spree killings have been committed by white males" "Whether they suffer from mental illness, in arrest of development, circumstance ( drug addicts) or a developmental issue.."
He also added..Blacks and Hispanics ( The ones that do not belong to middle income homes) raised in poverty? Adversity? They are already surviving in a constant state of survival, they know what there parents are going through whether they have 2 parents or not..they already live in a crisis state and they learn to deal with "stressors" They do commit crimes in order to belong, (gangs or peer pressure) and are victims of affiliation.. however to kill randomly for the sake of killing? uncommon.
They are use to being the under dog, the under achiever this has already been carved out for them..

Also most parents whom are hispanic and black will not tolerate to much **** from their kids..like their parents before them..discipline is carried out and the environment usually gets them and not their parents unless it is a cultural trans-generational behavior.
Now these "Spree killers?" White males , young..come from a suburban type of life, pressure, stigma, everything is hidden, tucked away..big house, sense of entitlement, boredom..Not use to the natural stressors that are a normal part of life so this coupled with mental illness or developmental delay and parents that pretend everything is fine and they hide the **** instead of admitting something is really wrong with their kid? When their kid finally tops out? Is really and was a ticking time bomb waiting for the right time to explode...
I think pops is onto something

Old 12-16-2012, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You forgot one more characteristic. White male in his 20s who is mad at the world who has easy access to a weapon that shouldn't have a place in civilian society. Australia, for instance, has plenty of disgruntled white males and yet no mass shootings except one. Maybe that says something about America.
Comparisons are usually pointless.

The population of Australia is about 22 million. The population of the United States is about 350 million. In other words, if we wanted to make an across-the-table comparison, we should expect to have 15 times as many murders, etc., in the United States as in Australia. For every 1 mass shooting in Australia, there ought to be at least 15 in the United States.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DipGrant View Post
I am just saying there is a double standard. The only black spree killers I can think of are the beltway snipers and probably the only reason why they got very far was that everyone was assuming that the potential suspects were white. There are problems in the black community, but why is everyone so infatuated with our problems rather than focusing on problems in the white community. It is not mental illness or easy access to guns, they just snapped because they dont know how to handle difficult situations when it comes due to there lifestyle of being over represented and getting the benefit of the doubt.
Yes, there IS a double standard. No doubt. We all (including blacks) seem to enjoy portraying black young men as tough muthas that... blah, blah, blah. I see it every day. It's the neighborhood, and part of the city, where I live.

But as I've pointed out many times, we need to look at numbers. Black males comprise approximately 6% of the population of the United States. White males comprise approximately 36% of the population. All other things being equal, we should expect to see 6x as many crimes from white males as from black males. And we probably do. They're just different kinds of crimes.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:53 AM

3,135 posts, read 3,954,362 times
Excuse me, but I'm half-Sicilian, and recognize 'Lanza' as a Sicilian surname (a ritzy one, though). Calling an olive-skinned person with ancestry from an insular island population nowhere near the Caucasus Mountains "white Caucasian" is really a stretch. Sicilians are like nobody else on Earth. We don't even like being lumped-in with 'Italians'.

Looking at pics of the kid confirms he is marginally-white/marginally-'Caucasian'. Not long ago, a family like his would not have been white enough to get into a good country club, or have their daughters presented by a legitimate deb cotillion. He's not much whiter than my own kids, and we are most emphatically not white.

In any event, before demonizing "white people" or Sicilians or gun-owners, using this rare crime as an excuse, I think you should take into account that Adam Lanza had been recognized as having mental problems by age 5. He had long been recognized as being sociopathic and having Asperger's (a form of Autism).

If you're going to be going around demonizing any specific group, maybe you should try demonizing the Mentally Ill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates