Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,813,116 times

Advertisements

I've read many threads in P&OC about how Black women have a tougher time dating and getting married than white or Asian women.

Is it the skin color or something else? If darker skin is "bad", the same thing doesn't seem to hurt Asians or Arabs tho Arabs are still "white".

No, I'm NOT trying to be a Troll.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:54 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,461,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
I've read many threads in P&OC about how Black women have a tougher time dating and getting married than white or Asian women.

Is it the skin color or something else? If darker skin is "bad", the same thing doesn't seem to hurt Asians or Arabs tho Arabs are still "white".

Racism. It really is that simple. Many men hold the stereotype of African-American women as loud, rude and aggressive.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,285,703 times
Change the stereotype. Date a beautiful black woman. Dark skinned women=sweetest berries on the vine.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:42 PM

24,606 posts, read 55,756,157 times
Black women are generally darker than Arab and other Asian women. They are also portrayed as loud and aggressive. Both traits are not seen as highly desirable by many men. Also their features, broad flat nose, for instance. Why this standard isn't also applied to black males, however, is interesting. I guess black males make up for it by being seen as hyper-masculine and confident, the latter being a positive trait for males. Whether it's racist or not probably depends on your point of view. Some people will say it's just preference, while others will argue that preference is innately racist. While there's nothing wrong with not dating a race, I'd probably agree there is at least a hint of racism in it, racism which society finds acceptable and defends.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:43 PM

7,287 posts, read 6,857,334 times
I think there is a certain level of distrust going on .
I am not black but have a number of back male friends whom are frustrated them selves with back women so they are choosing to date other ethnic groups quite openly.
One has to admit ,that ,just like caucasion men can be numbskulls so the issue goes with black males as well , only they tend to be more emotionally demonstrative in many cases .
The men I know are class comedians and introverts in my company ,who knows what the are like with a girl .
The black women I know and have worked with seem to be distant and tollerant but not ones I want a relationship with, nor interested in a realtionship with me .

Old 01-24-2013, 07:24 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,813,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Black women are generally darker than Arab and other Asian women. They are also portrayed as loud and aggressive. Both traits are not seen as highly desirable by many men. Also their features, broad flat nose, for instance. Why this standard isn't also applied to black males, however, is interesting. I guess black males make up for it by being seen as hyper-masculine and confident, the latter being a positive trait for males. Whether it's racist or not probably depends on your point of view. Some people will say it's just preference, while others will argue that preference is innately racist. While there's nothing wrong with not dating a race, I'd probably agree there is at least a hint of racism in it, racism which society finds acceptable and defends.
I'm guessing it ain't really the dark skin but the flat nose many have. Tho some Black ladies like Somalis have thin noses.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:57 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,981,569 times
Quote:
I'm guessing it ain't really the dark skin but the flat nose many have. Tho some Black ladies like Somalis have thin noses.
Many??

You see this type of nose on "many" black women?

Where? In what country?

I'm curious.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:00 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,981,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Black women are generally darker than Arab and other Asian women. They are also portrayed as loud and aggressive.
Have you seen the show MOB WIVES?

There are NO BLACK WOMEN on that show, but yet, they ALL seem to share the same exact "traits" you mentioned.

Shahs of Sunset is another one. Loud, boisterous, violent persian women, but yet THEIR men seen to fall all over them. Hmmmm...

Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM

593 posts, read 792,628 times
Quote:

I have often heard that the main reason for the greater difficulty in getting married is that Black women are less likely to be open to dating outside of their race. I think that Black women are just as attractive as White women, and the few Black ladies that I know are educated and have great personalities.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:58 PM

72,797 posts, read 62,084,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Have you seen the show MOB WIVES?

There are NO BLACK WOMEN on that show, but yet, they ALL seem to share the same exact "traits" you mentioned.

Shahs of Sunset is another one. Loud, boisterous, violent persian women, but yet THEIR men seen to fall all over them. Hmmmm...
Consider this though. Mob Wives is a portrayal of Italian-Americans.

And consider this. Iran is basically ethnically uniform. The culture over there is different. Women are expected to get married.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.