Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2015, 10:55 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,174,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The homicide rate is the dark ages was astronomical compared to today They had no firearms
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lital_The_Best View Post
BAM. That's my point right there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahrie View Post
I think I said much the same thing, Huckleberry, a couple of dozen pages back.
Hello? It is in general too late to do anything about the Dark Ages. We can however take control of today by seeking to reduce the senseless death and carnage that guns are producing right now.

Last edited by Reynard32; 10-03-2015 at 11:10 AM..

Old 10-03-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I'm resigned to not being able to do anything about the gun side of the equation, but maybe we can do something about the crazy person side.
So pathetically predictable...

Old 10-03-2015, 10:58 AM

1,608 posts, read 1,474,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
The homicide rate is the dark ages was astronomical compared to today
They had no firearms.
I think I said much the same thing, Huckleberry, a couple of dozen pages back. Cain slew Abel - without a gun. David killed Goliath - without a gun. Israel 'cleansed' The Promised Land' - without a single gun, and so on....

Shabbat Shalom,

Mahrie.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:02 AM

Quote:
The reality is that no North American (yes, we have lots of guns in Canada too) is going to hand over his/her gun(s) to the government without a lot of .gov agents getting killed.
Oh, look! It's the "cold dead hands" claim again. So reminiscent of the "over my dead body" claim we used to hear from segregationists.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:02 AM

5,092 posts, read 14,770,679 times
Default "Guns don't kill people, people kill people"

Then obviously it's not the guns that need controlling, it's the people who own guns who need to be registered and controlled.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:10 AM

529 posts, read 367,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reynard32 View Post
It was easy and still is. Your special pleading seeks to shift focus away from guns and onto these "far more deadly problems", when the only rational response would be to seek a reduction in the harm being done by ALL of them.

See the above. And what has been constitutionally guaranteed to you for seven long years now is an individual right to own firearms for traditionally lawful purposes such as self-defense within your own home. There remains ample room for control over the manufacture of and trafficking in guns and ammunition, and some of that might well be useful in limiting the awful damage done by guns in this country.

But gun nuts will not admit to any of it. Basically, they JUST DON'T CARE about the wanton carnage that guns continually produce. Oregon is just the latest example that they will ignore. Other examples are so common that they don't even make the news. 30,000 people die every year from gunshot wounds and nearly 200,000 are wounded grievously enough to require a trip to the ER. Because of the damage that bullets do as they tumble and ricochet around inside the body, gunshot wounds are among the most expensive of injuries to treat. Vast amounts of medical training and resources are wasted each year on injuries that should never have been allowed to happen to begin with.
Suicide Is Leading Cause Of Gun Deaths, But Largely Absent In Debate On Gun Violence

U.S. Gun Deaths: Suicides Outnumber Homicides 2-to-1

Suicides account for most gun deaths | Pew Research Center

64% of gun deaths in U.S. are suicides - Futurity

2/3 of all firearm related deaths are from suicide.
That reduces your 30K number to 10K That MIGHT be prevented by eliminating firearms.

The sensationalism of these events is what's driving your irrational arguments.

If you really meant "when the only rational response would be to seek a reduction in the harm being done by ALL of them". You must be in favor of banning and confiscating all cell phones as well.

Or is it that you JUST DON'T CARE about the wanton carnage continually produced by cell phones?

Old 10-03-2015, 11:18 AM

The posts of gun-defenders are becoming less and less rational. Gun-related deaths include deaths form all causes -- homicide and suicide, accidental and deliberate. Dead is dead after all. And all maimed and scarred up is all maimed and scarred up

Meanwhile, reductions in the harm done by cell phones do not require "confiscation" either, but "confiscation" has been pounded so deeply into the psyches of gun-defenders that it's the first and only thing they can think of in ANY harm-reduction scenario. What a sorry state of affairs! Thanks, NRA!

Old 10-03-2015, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Oh, look! It's the "cold dead hands" claim again. So reminiscent of the "over my dead body" claim we used to hear from segregationists.
Well, I'm not planning on shooting anyone, Reynard, but I know an awful lot of people who are downright religious about not giving up their firearms while still breathing. I believe them.

Peace,

Mahrie.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Well, I'm not planning on shooting anyone, Reynard, but I know an awful lot of people who are downright religious about not giving up their firearms while still breathing. I believe them.
Talk is cheap. We've seen and heard it all before.

Old 10-03-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Talk is cheap. We've seen and heard it all before.
Your point being?

Either you're saying that I'm trigger happy or you doubt the resolve of your fellow compatriots...? Unless, of course, you don't live in N. America...?

Mahrie.
P.S. I'm a pacifist in principle and hate killing animals, let alone people, but I know that I'd defend my family; I've done it before - twice. Not proud of that, but it was necessary. At least I didn't kill the &%$@%*D$ - just nearly.

Shalom,

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates