Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 08:19 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,461,503 times

Advertisements

Maybe give logic tests before being able to vote! Especially since voting in entitlements has only bred MORE people needing them, not less...

There could be questions like this:

1. There are ten apples on the table, if you take three apples away, how many apples do you have?

FWIW, I LOVE to actually see some of your answers....

Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 PM

40,930 posts, read 48,922,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Guns are okay for hunting but people don't need to own guns for "fun" as a hobby. That's a little bit sick and definitely a selfish attitude. .
For fun or a hobby ??? ... You realize that Shooting at targets is included in multiple events in the summer and winter Olympics.

Shooting (For fun and a hobby) is an International sport.

Shooting at the Summer Olympics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Shooting sports have been contested at every Summer Olympic Games since the birth of the modern Olympic movement at the 1896 Summer Olympics except at the 1904 & 1928 editions.
It's also in the Winter Olympics.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:20 PM

2,600 posts, read 3,120,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Clap, clap, swagger.
I see death on a daily basis.
If people were really serious about wanting to end the death of innocents, they'd ban alcohol (didn't work), drugs (barely works), make getting a driver's license and car impossibly difficult and expensive (like many other countries...who also ban guns), etc, etc, etc...

These anti-gun people have no interest in guns, so they can be all blase and say, "Hey, let's get rid of those things!" Start talking about America's REAL killers, and you'll hit them where they would NEVER want a ban.
This is part of my thinking when I tell people to think the ban issue out to its logical conclusion. When 1 ban does not work we ban something else until no one can buy anything that could in any way be used as a weapon.

I also remind people that gun control's roots in the US began with forbidding guns to slaves and American Indians, then forbidding guns to freed Blacks in many locations. Purchase permits were largely a product of Jim Crow in many states. Right to Bear Arms has its roots in liberty. Gun control has its roots in oppression.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
People with guns kill people. It takes a PERSON and a GUN.

I agree 100% with the first and second posters.

Why do we even want to be a violent society? How about becoming a more civilized society?

Guns are okay for hunting but people don't need to own guns for "fun" as a hobby. That's a little bit sick and definitely a selfish attitude. If you have to collect something, there are lots of other things to collect. I'd be happy with much stricter gun laws and just letting guns gradually fade away. Let the police and the military have the guns.
How is gun collecting sick? How is gun collecting any more selfish than collecting antique cars, stamps, coins or fountain pens? Collecting anything means having more of it than one needs to survive. So anything we collect could be defined as selfish.

Let police and military have the guns? Castro, Hitler & Stalin would agree with you on that.

Old 12-25-2012, 01:43 AM

1,841 posts, read 3,165,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Gatling guns and rocket launchers also don't kill people, maybe everyone should have one of those. Or a mini-nuke in their backyards, to defend themselves ya know.
lol...

OKAY, GUN ENTHUSIASTS, WOULD YOU PROPOSE? AS a solution other than arming everybody and their mama? Let us just have A HYPER-VIGILANTE existence, this makes a great sheet load of sense...
Out of this thread we def. have a pro-gun MENTALITY, so what is the answer???

Old 12-25-2012, 11:31 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,788,406 times
I agree with that statement wholeheartedly. There are responsible gun owners out there and there are irresponsible gun owners out there. It's terrible that things ultimately end in tragedy when the wrong people get their hands on guns. I don't think however that everybody should suffer because of what other people decide to do with weapons and I don't think that taking guns away from the general public will stop gun violence. People who want to kill with a gun will find a way to kill with a gun no matter what.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Did you notice most bars have parking lots for cars. Doesn't that encourage drinking and driving?
How could I have overlooked that? Another thing we have to work on. Can only have bus stops or cab stands nearby, or a phone to call a cab. No parking lots. No bike racks either; all loopholes closed.

Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,082,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
That is like saying "DRUGS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE".

If strong and fatal drugs are readily available you will see more people dying from drugs.

Well, it is no different when discussing guns and rifles, especially semi-automatic weapons.
Using this line of reasoning, banning automobiles would be the most effective way to combat impaired driving and street racing.

Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM

520 posts, read 595,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Using this line of reasoning, banning automobiles would be the most effective way to combat impaired driving and street racing.
Using the opposite to that line of reasoning, people should be allowed to collect nukes...

Old 12-27-2012, 07:23 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,789,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
it's inhuman since it was dropped on innocent civilians who probably wanted nothing to do with the war. As you know war is pretty much old men sending young men to die. the bombs should have been dropped on military bases or a political site. it would have resulted in the same affect.

You are from Nippon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates