U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 11:20 PM

770 posts, read 1,305,012 times

Advertisements

It's not as if anyone argues that guns get up by themselves and shoot people. Many of us just don't see a reason why so many people need to have the ability to kill people so easily and so MANY of them (as you can with a gun).

As most of us know, there was a recent attack in China on elementary school kids which left 22 wounded. If the guy had a gun, it would have been like Newton, CT. Sure, a knife can also kill (happened in China a few yrs ago), but in general, it takes longer and is harder (which would give others time to stop the attacker).

I really don't see why anyone, other than the cops and military, should have the ability to STOCK UP on guns and ammunition. Sure, I can see having a single gun if you live in a city/suburb if you're scared in your home and maybe a few if you live in a rural area....even in those scenarios, no one really needs to have a gun that can fire many times before re-loading. And only a tiny fraction of people need to be able to have like more than 10 bullets at any given time. I live in TX, a totally gun loving state, which was a bit of a culture shock. I see no reason why people I know should have multiple guns as a HOBBY.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:50 AM

1,846 posts, read 2,588,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 55degrees View Post
It's not as if anyone argues that guns get up by themselves and shoot people. Many of us just don't see a reason why so many people need to have the ability to kill people so easily and so MANY of them (as you can with a gun).

As most of us know, there was a recent attack in China on elementary school kids which left 22 wounded. If the guy had a gun, it would have been like Newton, CT. Sure, a knife can also kill (happened in China a few yrs ago), but in general, it takes longer and is harder (which would give others time to stop the attacker).

I really don't see why anyone, other than the cops and military, should have the ability to STOCK UP on guns and ammunition. Sure, I can see having a single gun if you live in a city/suburb if you're scared in your home and maybe a few if you live in a rural area....even in those scenarios, no one really needs to have a gun that can fire many times before re-loading. And only a tiny fraction of people need to be able to have like more than 10 bullets at any given time. I live in TX, a totally gun loving state, which was a bit of a cultureI agree with what you stated…
shock. I see no reason why people I know should have multiple guns as a HOBBY.
I agree with what you stated…
I agree that gun is a inanimate object and has the inability to shoot itself ,,,this is common knowledge…

However it has been used as an instrument to KILL…whether It be birds,rabbits, bigger game for sport or for food, maybe both…however it is used widely as a weapon of choice for some to kill PEOPLE…

There are always stories that have us saying wtf? “A man kills another with a cross bow” “2 killed with knife” “Child killed on accident by a bow and arrow.”
You do not hear too much of these stories and these are weapons that have been used throughout the ages, the weapon of choice these days is a GUN…mainly semi-automatic guns..

There seem to be gun shops on every corner, every gun shop allegedly has rules, policies and regulations YET it has been seen time and time again that these have not been adhered to..why? Because gunshop owners want to make a sale rather then be sure this person is responsible enough to own a gun?

This latest shooting spree that left 20 6-7 year old innocent lives dead as well as a few brave adult dead as well? Is still unfolding…
There have been reports from friends and family that state that this young man was
1. Quiet
2. Had no friends
3. Kept to himself
4. Was “deemed” the family’s “challenge”

There was reports by family members that stated that the mother of Adam Lanza was having issues with his school and had him home schooled although the issue? Was not known..
Down to the latest..That several days before the spree shooting and the murder of Adam’s mother? She checked into a nearby hotel and had been staying there? Why? Only the two of them will really know what happened…

The mother was described as a avid gardener, Polite, nice and quiet.
However another friend described her s a gun enthusiast always talking about her collection and how she had taken her boys target shooting recently, however noone could verify this?

The mother as described by some had no reason to own such an arsenal and stated that they felt she had nothing to fear as “home protection.”
Yet as an adult, a parent she left the home several days before to check into a hotel and left her son whom has been dubbed a “challenging child” alone in the home with her gun collection?
How responsible is this?

There has been speculation and suggestions flying around the net stating that this incident should not be bringing about more gun control or banning guns but arming teachers?

Lol..I was again speaking to my father again..I often go to him with issues like this because he is a peace officer, he is a viet vet and is all about civil rights and so forth…

He stated, “This is the most asinine thing I have heard yet” “Yeah let us rm civilians like teachers to protect students in the event of a spree shooting.”
“There are several issues wrong with this suggestion”
In theory I am sure gun enthusiasts and other illogical people will see this as a great resolution.”
“However, even young police cadets during real-life like simulations “freeze” and do not know what to do in a real life situation where drawing a gun and taking another life is on the line.”
“Civilians” that are just used to going to the range or shooting for practice will tend to freeze, even some officers that are seasoned will freeze because of the reality that you are potentially going to KILL someone..”
“Unless you are a great shot, what makes anyone think that they are going to be ableto pull the trigger let alone hit the right intended target?””Instead of making things worse?”

This will be a huge mistake however I doubt this will occur.”

I tend to agree..I believe that semi-automatic guns are not needed unless one is law enforcement or military, period…

Guns in general? Ok…I have stated that my father owns a few however where they are located?No one in the family knows, only he knows..and this is how it should be..
These are not toys…

Old 12-23-2012, 02:02 AM

9,616 posts, read 10,903,599 times
Default Oh really?

Quote:
√ Many of us just don't see a reason why so many people need to have the ability to kill people so easily and so MANY of them (as you can with a gun).

√ I really don't see why anyone, other than the cops and military, should have the ability to STOCK UP on guns and ammunition.
√ I see no reason why people I know should have multiple guns as a HOBBY.
It's good that you are not king then, huh, 55D? I'm an avid shooter with a number of guns that provide very different functionalities, not to mention my personal engineer-profession driven technical inrerest. Should I only be able to collect one firearm, or one antique knife, or one stamp or one old car? (those danged cars, especially the old smoking ones, do, after all, use up our limited Hydrocarbon resources!).

FACT: your personal likes and dislikes are of no interest to the general public when you would perhaps enforce them, etc., on others. We do have a Constitution I hope you remember.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr74 View Post
However another friend described her as a gun enthusiast always talking about her collection and how she had taken her boys target shooting recently, however no-one could verify this?

The mother as described by some had no reason to own such an arsenal and stated that they felt she had nothing to fear as “home protection.”

Guns in general? Ok…I have stated that my father owns a few however where they are located? No one in the family knows, only he knows..and this is how it should be..

These are not toys…
No-one has EVER said guns are toys, dr!! An arsenal? Apparently she had only a select few, of a type and kind you may find reprehensible, but hardly an arsenal. Q: how does one person use an arsenal?

As well, your father should perhaps let you, or a responsible but also firearms tolerant adult, know where they really are, in case you are perhaps broken in to by a <gasp!>) criminal and they are then stolen. How will you report this lack of critical recovery info to your local PD or the BATFE? Also, kids can and do regularly find, in the most innocuous places (attics, behind false walls in closets, and so on..) their parent's firearms, and then BOOM, it goes off 'cause dad had it loaded, like a moron!

A comprehensive list of the types and serial numbers of dad's armory is also just plain common sense, as might be theft insurance.

It should in fact be mandatory that all firearms be under lock and key, in a suitable bolted-to-the-wall gun safe, along with their ammo and mags.

Old 12-23-2012, 02:05 AM

24,683 posts, read 42,020,837 times
Gatling guns and rocket launchers also don't kill people, maybe everyone should have one of those. Or a mini-nuke in their backyards, to defend themselves ya know.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:01 AM

5,692 posts, read 3,940,643 times
Humans have been killing other humans since the dawn of humanity. This will not change. If you believe in the Old Testament, there was a murder in the 1st human family. Cain killed Abel. If you believe in the New Testament, humans sought out the death of Jesus, the son of god.

The American culture has been a violent one. The genocide of the Native Americans, the Civil War, Slavery, WW1, WW2, Vietnam, Gulf War, Terrorist Wars, etc. Remember, we dropped 2 nuclear bombs on innocent civilians during wartime. Yes, I recall Pearl Harbor but the Japs attacked a Naval base NOT a Hawaiian town.

Cavemans used sticks and stones. Native Americans used bows and arrows. Civilized man used guns. New Age man uses nuclear bombs, chemical weapons, high power guns, droid missiles, etc. Future man will use lazer guns, mind control, etc.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:49 AM

978 posts, read 1,840,350 times
That is like saying "DRUGS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE".

If strong and fatal drugs are readily available you will see more people dying from drugs.

Well, it is no different when discussing guns and rifles, especially semi-automatic weapons.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 AM

4,454 posts, read 4,894,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
That is like saying "DRUGS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE".

If strong and fatal drugs are readily available you will see more people dying from drugs.

Well, it is no different when discussing guns and rifles, especially semi-automatic weapons.
Can you clearly explain the term semi automatic, and how semi automatic weapons differ from other types? Because from the context of your post, I have a hunch that it doesn't mean what you think it does.
semiautomatic - definition of semiautomatic by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 AM

41,959 posts, read 48,445,014 times
The amount of self-righteous ignorant spewing that has occurred since this tragedy is truly astounding.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 AM

17,121 posts, read 16,322,390 times
People with guns kill people. It takes a PERSON and a GUN.

I agree 100% with the first and second posters.

Why do we even want to be a violent society? How about becoming a more civilized society?

Guns are okay for hunting but people don't need to own guns for "fun" as a hobby. That's a little bit sick and definitely a selfish attitude. If you have to collect something, there are lots of other things to collect. I'd be happy with much stricter gun laws and just letting guns gradually fade away. Let the police and the military have the guns.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:16 AM

12,770 posts, read 8,863,325 times
Quote:
[1] Many of us just don't see a reason why so many people need to have the ability to kill people so easily and so MANY of them (as you can with a gun).

[2] As most of us know, there was a recent attack in China on elementary school kids which left 22 wounded. If the guy had a gun, it would have been like Newton, CT. Sure, a knife can also kill (happened in China a few yrs ago), but in general, it takes longer and is harder (which would give others time to stop the attacker).

[3] I really don't see why anyone, other than the cops and military, should have the ability to STOCK UP on guns and ammunition. ...

[4]... no one really needs to have a gun that can fire many times before re-loading. And only a tiny fraction of people need to be able to have like more than 10 bullets at any given time....

[5] I see no reason why people I know should have multiple guns as a HOBBY.
[1] In a gunfight, unlike the movies, bullets don't always hit their intended target. You do not win a gunfight by running out of ammunition first. Thus, the large magazine size is not for the purpose of "killing so many" as to insuring that the assailant you wish to stop is stopped.

[2] When a victim (weaker party) is a faced by an attacker (stronger party), armed or unarmed, please explain the proper politically correct, "all guns are evil" response?

[3] "Ability" or "Right" to stock up on guns and ammunition? And you think that if only government is "allowed" to have guns, you will be safer how? Not only can government not protect everybody, you cannot sue them for failure to protect. Ultimately, it is your responsibility to defend your life and property.

[4] No one needs an assault weapon - or any weapon - until under assault.
Then one wants and needs as much firepower as one can muster. Which boils down to "Be Prepared" or be a victim surrounded by yellow tape.

[5] I see no reason in your reasoning. But if you wish to be disarmed, don't let us stop you.
When seconds count, and police are minutes (or hours) away, you may wish to reconsider.

Let's face the unspoken issue - fear of guns. Those who are afraid of guns think that by banning them, they will be safe. Of course, when stronger bullies and thugs don't have to fear you having guns, they won't fear attacking you.

The logical resolution would be for universal training in the responsible use of firearms, starting from childhood. Those who do not fear guns will not be so easily goaded into surrendering them, in the hopes of safety and security. For a disarmed populace is never safe nor secure.

A society that is intolerant of predators will be "civilized."
Tolerance of predators is unmerciful to their next victim.
Disarming a society is uncivilized, and a dangerous grant of power to the predators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or