U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 11:36 PM

18,028 posts, read 17,175,920 times

Advertisements

Other countries don't hate us for the material goods we have as much as they despise our arrogant, superior attitudes.

As a previous poster said, we're lacking in spiritual and family bonds that other countries do have and cherish. We have to move all over the country to get jobs, families become separated, our jobs are more demanding and competitive than they should be and most people don't get much time off compared to other countries. So it's sort of like selling our souls for the almighty dollar.

That's how we live and there are expectations. We're supposed to work like slaves for the big house that we don't really need, the gas guzzling SUV, and whatever other status symbols we are brainwashed into thinking we need. So people feel pressured to attain all of this and IF it is attained, it is usually by sacrificing things that really matter. Our lives get out of balance, we are unhappy and some turn to drugs. Others feel so hopeless when they compare their lives to the high expectations that they never even try.

If it does all fall apart, it will be the fault of those who bought into it, not those who lived simple lives, working and yet staying connected with their families and not living beyond their means. It's hard to not get caught up in all of it and that means that it's all relative. You can have a lot and still feel empty and impoverished compared to what everyone else has or what our society says you should have.

If you live in a third world country, you have almost nothing but so does everyone else. That's bad too but in a different way and you probably have spiritual and family connections that Americans do not have.

Greed and arrogance at the expense of quality of life.

We're not as spoiled as we are ruined.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2012, 03:27 AM

17,167 posts, read 22,195,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Other countries don't hate us for the material goods we have as much as they despise our arrogant, superior attitudes.

As a previous poster said, we're lacking in spiritual and family bonds that other countries do have and cherish. We have to move all over the country to get jobs, families become separated, our jobs are more demanding and competitive than they should be and most people don't get much time off compared to other countries. So it's sort of like selling our souls for the almighty dollar.

That's how we live and there are expectations. We're supposed to work like slaves for the big house that we don't really need, the gas guzzling SUV, and whatever other status symbols we are brainwashed into thinking we need. So people feel pressured to attain all of this and IF it is attained, it is usually by sacrificing things that really matter. Our lives get out of balance, we are unhappy and some turn to drugs. Others feel so hopeless when they compare their lives to the high expectations that they never even try.

If it does all fall apart, it will be the fault of those who bought into it, not those who lived simple lives, working and yet staying connected with their families and not living beyond their means. It's hard to not get caught up in all of it and that means that it's all relative. You can have a lot and still feel empty and impoverished compared to what everyone else has or what our society says you should have.

If you live in a third world country, you have almost nothing but so does everyone else. That's bad too but in a different way and you probably have spiritual and family connections that Americans do not have.

Greed and arrogance at the expense of quality of life.

We're not as spoiled as we are ruined.
I despise an arrogant attitude also,

I once asked a foreignor how they liked america so far, she said, : I love it here, and the people are so nice, not what i expected, i asked her what did she expect??
she said, from watching america news alot and other shows, like jerry springer, and hip hop music videos,
I thought the people would all be like that..
I said, no way, thats the scum of america on jerry springer- she asked, why would you put it on display? the worst?
she also asked a very good question- why does the news only give bad news- when america is and does so much greatness?

Old 12-31-2012, 07:43 AM

395 posts, read 667,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
The places we call "ghettos" and "slums" here in America pale in comparison to the third world. Unlike Africa, India or Southeast Asia, our ghettos in America are not packed with people slowing dying from starvation or have lepers roaming the streets. The housing stock in American "slums" is vastly superior to the shanty towns, tin shack villages and garbage stacks that exist in the third world.
I agree with most of your post but this. There are some neighbors in the south that image shanty towns. Because of the vast availability of food in the United States they will never die from starvation like some of the other countries, but make food much less available, and you'll see it.

Spoiled compared to Europe? No. Spoiled compared to any dumpy country? yes. I am really spoiled. I pay nearly 40% of my wage to taxes. I work 2 jobs, which include three days a week of working 24+ hours straight. After take home money, most of my money goes to rent and utilities, then there is going to the grocer, bye bye money. Welcome to next month. In one of those developing countries I would have most likely had to choose between housing or food. But my taxes pay for so many great things!

Old 12-31-2012, 07:50 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,811,393 times
I constantly compare American life (and modern life in general) to the life of a poor village I came from (it's vanished as a social organism under assault of modernity). I cannot believe that most modern folks (including Americans) think that they are somehow spoiled and have it better than all those previous backward generations. Yes, you can buy more cheap crap (if you have job & $), but other than that you are deprived to the point of taking your depravity as a given. Seriously, take your weekly shopping trips away and what you've got? Nothing, pretty much. Happy people don't consume enormous amounts of mind altering drugs (legal and illegal), happy first world folks wouldn't have clinical depression as #2 permanent disability cause (google it). All of the above are normal human reactions (that cradle to grave propaganda cannot affect) to the abnormal social environment that goes against our basic human needs. Yet, most people believe that social reality surrounding us is some sort of a "crown" of human development. Are you serious? That's the crown, that's what people around the world should aspire to? The most terrible form of slavery is when slaves think that they are the freest bunch in Universe, and that's what American "exceptionalism" is all about - social control for less.

Just look around, modern economies are driven by "escapism" from reality. People work a lot at their unfulfilling jobs so they could afford cutting edge electronics, entertainment, gaming, drugs, books, internet gear, whatever helps them to escape to the better worlds.

Last edited by RememberMee; 12-31-2012 at 08:02 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 08:08 AM

5,536 posts, read 8,194,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
I constantly compare American life (and modern life in general) to the life of a poor village I came from (it's vanished as a social organism under assault of modernity). I cannot believe that most modern folks (including Americans) think that they are somehow spoiled and have it better than all those previous backward generations. Yes, you can buy more cheap crap (if you have job & $), but other than that you are deprived to the point of taking your depravity as a given. Seriously, take your weekly shopping trips away and what you've got? Nothing, pretty much. Happy people don't consume enormous amounts of mind altering drugs (legal and illegal), happy first world folks wouldn't have clinical depression as #2 permanent disability cause (google it). All of the above are normal human reactions (that cradle to grave propaganda cannot affect) to the abnormal social environment that goes against our basic human needs. Yet, most people believe that social reality surrounding us is some sort of a "crown" of human development. Are you serious? That's the crown, that's what people around the world should aspire to? The most terrible form of slavery is when slaves think that they are the freest bunch in Universe, and that's what American "exceptionalism" is all about - social control for less.

Just look around, modern economies are driven by "escapism" from reality. People work a lot at their unfulfilling jobs so they could afford cutting edge electronics, entertainment, gaming, drugs, books, internet gear, whatever helps them to escape to the better worlds.
Interesting point and lots to think about. I think the main problem for Americans is that they are obsessed with obtaining possessions, many of which they can't afford. So they use debt to acquire them, leading to their possessions owning them, rather than the other way around. I guess everything in this world comes full circle.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:35 AM

10,835 posts, read 12,871,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I think the main problem for Americans is that they are obsessed with obtaining possessions, many of which they can't afford.
Personally I can't stand sweeping generalizations.
There are people just like that in every country on Earth. Even in the poorest nation.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:47 AM

5,536 posts, read 8,194,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Personally I can't stand sweeping generalizations.
There are people just like that in every country on Earth. Even in the poorest nation.
Well then, I should have said "many Americans." And it is many. All the statistics about debt to income ratios point in the same direction. Of course, it's not only Americans, but we are the subject of this thread.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:14 AM

584 posts, read 1,078,111 times
Quote:
There are some neighbors in the south that image shanty towns.
Well I'm originally from San Francisco, which surprisingly to most outsiders, has some of the most sub-standard public housing in America in places like Hunter's Point:

A History of Bayview-Hunters Point, Part 2: Crime, Contamination, and Crisis | 21st Century Urban Solutions

San Francisco Bay Guardian News

These locales have been described as "slices of the third world" in affluent San Francisco by world-travelled news reporters.
Although many actual third world slums may lack anything resembling proper housing, without electricity or running water, American ghettos are often worse in terms of violent crime seeing as America is the most heavily armed country on the planet having the highest number of guns per capita in the world. In America, we have 90 guns per 100 people. Comparatively, in Great Britain, there are only about 9 guns per 100 people and most police officers over there carry bully clubs instead of firearms. Even police in the richest suburbs in America carry loaded guns everyday. That per capita rate is even higher in ghetto areas in America where gun violence can be described as epidemic. Many people have seen the generic ghetto Myspace picture where a thug shows off his private arsenal of ten AK-47's and ten 9mm pistols.

U.S. most armed country with 90 guns per 100 people | Reuters

The poverty we have in America isn't exactly always rosy and easy either. When drug addicts give birth to babies in the hood and don't take care of them, young children are forced to grow up quickly becoming hardened and cold before they even hit puberty turning to a life of crime:

Robert Sandifer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Repeat this problem in every inner city in America and you have a dangerous gang and drug infested neighborhood where daily gunfire and homicides occur every month.

I agree that America is an incredibly spiritually impoverished country. In America, we substitute the ideas of God, family and community with the worship of celebrities, the obsession with money, status and material goods and keeping up with joneses, a hedonistic lifestyle where the often dangerous activities of excessive drinking, drug abuse and promiscuity are glamorized amongst our youth, a lack of trust of our own neighbors, rampant prejudice, segregation and thinly veiled racism etc. God has been outlawed from our schools and deemed to be politically incorrect. Pretentious nerds, who are no more than mere mortals like you and I, relentlessly push the idea that God does not exist through faulty scientific research which is a dangerous prospect because the belief in God fosters beautiful unconditional charity, love and compassion of your fellow man.

America is all about independence. Every man for himself. The thought that everyone should pull their own weight and make their own money and be 100% self-reliant. Also, the idea that work comes first before everything else has weathered our connections to our family, friends and community.

I lived on both sides of the tracks in the inner city and the affluent suburbs. In both neighborhoods, I rarely talk(ed) to my neighbors or know anything about them. American people have thrown out the tried and true idea that it takes a village to raise a child. But the quality and number of close friendships in America has been declining for decades now. Approximately 25% of Americans have no close friends at all. So it is no wonder why we are a depressed people who are more likely to abuse controlled substances and look for solace in superficial material prosperity and success. We are social beings in a culture that is becoming more blatantly unnaturally anti-social with each passing decade. People like Mark Zuckerburg became rich because he filled the huge void in American people starving for even the idea of friendship via the web.

Friendship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by LunaticVillage; 12-31-2012 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,531,654 times
With all the negatives the United States has, we are still the best country in the world. There are long lines at every Immigration Office in the country of persons around the world trying to get in here. The US has the highest number of immigrants then every other country combined.

Of course, I cannot see how this is possible, since we don't have healthcare and are just violent gun toting nutjobs. But the world sure as heck wants to come live here.

Old 12-31-2012, 10:51 AM

868 posts, read 930,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
With all the negatives the United States has, we are still the best country in the world. There are long lines at every Immigration Office in the country of persons around the world trying to get in here. The US has the highest number of immigrants then every other country combined.

Of course, I cannot see how this is possible, since we don't have healthcare and are just violent gun toting nutjobs. But the world sure as heck wants to come live here.
That's because you share an enormous land border with Mexico.

Believe it or not, most foreigners from equally developed countries are not screaming to get into the US. Most British people choose Australia, Canada or Spain when it comes to emigrating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or