U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:12 PM

4,099 posts, read 3,388,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
You also work longer hours, many have huge student loan debts, you have less paid vacation time, fewer rights as employees and healthcare costs are ridiculously high. Your foods aren't regulated well enough and if you're working class or poor here, your existence won't be a happy one.

And all for a bigger house, car and fridge than the average European. If that's what you strive for and can achieve, more power to you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
If you are poor, you get it free from the government.
If you are rich, you can afford it.
If you are middle class, you are left payiing the tax bill.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
The u.s. gives more billions in foreign aid than any other country- more americans have died freeing half the world, in world wars,,, (on foreign soil too)

I have relatives that died for freeing countries that spit on us now....because those countries could not fight for themselves

without the u.s, the world would be speaking german or russian

all the america haters may well have some satisfaction in a few years...... we will soon be 20 trillion in debt......and not be able to pay the interest on it- thanks to the liberals in charge...
the only winners are the politicians...who have a golden parachute til death,,they took care of themselves, at the expense of the rest of us
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaticVillage View Post
True. Crippling student loan debt for the younger generation is creating nouveau serfdom in America. High federal worker salaries need to be funded somehow. Not that it matters. We already have too much national debt that couldn't be paid off in ten lifetimes. Now that student loans are funded by the government and the fact that the average 22 year old kid needs at least a bachelor's degree just to get a job parking cars or to get a bar-tending gig, everyone will be a slave to the government in the near future if trends continue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I think most people in other first world countries feel they are lucky as well. It's not an exclusively U.S. thing. In fact, some like myself, are quite content where we live.
I don't think the U.S. when trying to feel good about itself should be comparing itself to third world countries. Compare yourselves to first world countries and the myths start to disappear...such as standard of living. The U.S. does rate high but the numbers are so close to many other countries that you can't say " Americans, by far, enjoy the highest standard of living in the world"

It's not by far and some list put the U.S. down to sixth.

However standard of living means different things to different people. Do others really care that one country has five toilets per household when another has three?

Quality of life indexes are a bit more telling as are happiest lists. The U.S. does not fare well in either.

As for safety, again don't compare yourselves to war torn countries or third world places.
I understand the need to feel good about where you live, we all do it, but by having rose coloured glasses on, as I think you do regarding poverty in the U.S. is not going to solve the problems.
Whatever happened to ONE bathroom for a family of FIVE, yes, imagine that, in America!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I would say compared to the entire world. I can think of many country such as Greece where they are use to thre hours lunch and short days plus not being evwery hard to be fired for whatever reason. But of course they are payig for what this has resulted in. Last i knew americans were amoug the most prodcuive on average and a japoanese work only did 70% of what a american worker did in 8 hours. There are always exceptions but generally americans have always been known as hard workers with a high work ethic especailly in the western industrialized world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The productive stats are higher in the U.S. because of less time off. A workers output is going to be higher if they don't get four weeks off or more a year, or have paid maternity leave etc.
I totally disagree with your vision of how the average American lives, survives, and thrives in this country. The ones who get up everyday, travel wherever is necessary to keep a paycheck rolling in, if they're lucky, with benefits...and praying everyday that the arses who are in charge smile benovolently upon them for yet another day, another week, and another year...GOD willing!

Maybe for you and yours your view holds water but there are many average Americans who just live regular lives in small homes with ONE bathroom, a backyard big enough for their family (of five) to bbq some hot dogs and hamburgers for the kids on the 4th...AND grateful nonetheless. No handouts from the government, no food stamps or section 8 vouchers, (and not that I begrudge EVERONE that utilizes those program) but lets be honest here, there's more than enough room for plenty of abuse from far too many who are content to live a reasonably good life at the taxpayers expense. The nails are manicured, the hair is always coiffed on a regular basis, the clothes are flashy and yet...no time or ambition for a job. Fathom that!

And, please, let's not get on the subject of our bloated government...from the local precinct/ward politician, to the city workers, to the relatives and the nepotism that goes hand in hand with that scenario, the Representatives, the Congressmen, the Washington D.C bureaucrats...the list goes on and on and on. Have I mentioned the Lobbyists yet, you know, those special people who the government smiles so broadly upon? Yes, set for life they are indeed!

Todays average Americans raise their kids to incur student loans, attend college, graduate...and then do the same damn respectable types of jobs their parents did (with a high school education no less). Please spare me your vision of how spoiled Americans are, perhaps in the circles you are accustomed to circulating in BUT not everyone is hooked up to your wagon train.

I'm a little warm under the collar so I will end this diatribe and say good-night to you!

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...

Last edited by HomeIsWhere...; 02-04-2013 at 07:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or