Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2013, 06:31 PM

918 posts, read 816,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Listen up,

I am of perfectly sound mind, perhaps more so than the many people who think that it's perfectly okay and acceptable to crap on or use others to get ahead, yet if I were offered a painless, guaranteed way out right now, I would take it. I'm not irrational, nor is my deep-down desire to just call it time spontaneous. I have felt this way for many years and have tried the conventional methods, yet I have no quality of life at all and just exist, despite not suffering from any tangible terminal illness.

The only thing that makes me scared of willfully committing suicide is failure, or extreme physical pain. If you are warped enough to think that fear alone is a good reason to keep me here, there is something wrong with you. I know that I'm not alone either. There are many people like me, just existing with no hope of change or improvement because it simply isn't in our chemistry to fight for a life we will never have, being forced to live among people we don't like, in a society that we don't want to be a part of, tortured with feelings of inadequacy, sadness, anxiety and repressed anger

Assisted suicide should be an option for all, even those suffering from incurable mental illnesses. What irks me is that here in the US, many states grant serial killers a peaceful death via death penalty, or laws are in place to allow people to defend their homes with deadly force. So bad people get to die via lethal injection (which is probably not even a punishment to them), yet those of us who have committed no crimes and haven't hurt a soul are forced to exist because of "morals" and the so-called "sanctity of life" and are demonized and called cowards if we do find the strength to finally pull the trigger. Oh and let's not even get started on war and the massive amount of money a so-called "Christian" nation invests in advanced weaponry, which is ultimately designed to kill and maim.

Anyone else see something wrong with this picture, along with the sheer, blinding hypocrisy of it all?
Hombre, I applaud your frankness to openly discuss a most personal situation. My guess is that you did so in response and frustration to some comments you took note of. I would like to interchange with you on this, but only if you'd want to. My basic feeling on suicide is if an adult is judged to be legally competent to act on their own behalf in all other things, why not in the most personal matter of "quality of life" FOR SELF!

Let me know if you'd like to openly discuss this please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,559,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hombre View Post
Listen up,

I am of perfectly sound mind, perhaps more so than the many people who think that it's perfectly okay and acceptable to crap on or use others to get ahead, yet if I were offered a painless, guaranteed way out right now, I would take it. I'm not irrational, nor is my deep-down desire to just call it time spontaneous. I have felt this way for many years and have tried the conventional methods, yet I have no quality of life at all and just exist, despite not suffering from any tangible terminal illness.

The only thing that makes me scared of willfully committing suicide is failure, or extreme physical pain. If you are warped enough to think that fear alone is a good reason to keep me here, there is something wrong with you. I know that I'm not alone either. There are many people like me, just existing with no hope of change or improvement because it simply isn't in our chemistry to fight for a life we will never have, being forced to live among people we don't like, in a society that we don't want to be a part of, tortured with feelings of inadequacy, sadness, anxiety and repressed anger

Assisted suicide should be an option for all, even those suffering from incurable mental illnesses. What irks me is that here in the US, many states grant serial killers a peaceful death via death penalty, or laws are in place to allow people to defend their homes with deadly force. So bad people get to die via lethal injection (which is probably not even a punishment to them), yet those of us who have committed no crimes and haven't hurt a soul are forced to exist because of "morals" and the so-called "sanctity of life" and are demonized and called cowards if we do find the strength to finally pull the trigger. Oh and let's not even get started on war and the massive amount of money a so-called "Christian" nation invests in advanced weaponry, which is ultimately designed to kill and maim.

Anyone else see something wrong with this picture, along with the sheer, blinding hypocrisy of it all?
That is a sad tale. I'm not ready, sometimes it's just my dogs that give me reason to stick around. There must be someone that would be harmed if you left this planet. I like to think we have a purpose and strive to contribute what I can. You are right, people are very cruel and I have often shared your view of not wanting to be part of such a cruel society. But we are, so we can try to make a positive contribution until it's time to say arrivederci. All beings strive to live and avoid pain, that's instinctual. Only you can decide when your burden is too heavy. I would be inclined to try to show you ways of finding pleasure in your life, but you would have to be a willing participant.
You are saying you want someone to assist you because you are miserable? I'm not sure I'd sign onto that. Your pain is emotional, not physical.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,501,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorhugo View Post
Killing yourself OR attempting to kill yourself is a "private" act that doesn't necessarily go against "public policy" and law in this country sets "public policy". That explains why attempted suicide is not prosecuted unless a special test is met. That is that in the action of attempting to kill yourself you injured or killed another ad you survived. In that case the appropriate phrase that would papply I would think would be that old reliable..."HERE COME DA JUDGE!".

Hiring someone to assist in that task makes of the act itself a now "public" action, for having involved another party, and as such is covered and prosecuted by appropriate law.
So sex with a consenting individual is a public act?

Old 01-22-2013, 07:46 PM

868 posts, read 1,121,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
That is a sad tale. I'm not ready, sometimes it's just my dogs that give me reason to stick around. There must be someone that would be harmed if you left this planet. I like to think we have a purpose and strive to contribute what I can. You are right, people are very cruel and I have often shared your view of not wanting to be part of such a cruel society. But we are, so we can try to make a positive contribution until it's time to say arrivederci. All beings strive to live and avoid pain, that's instinctual. Only you can decide when your burden is too heavy. I would be inclined to try to show you ways of finding pleasure in your life, but you would have to be a willing participant.
You are saying you want someone to assist you because you are miserable? I'm not sure I'd sign onto that. Your pain is emotional, not physical.
Pain is pain. Just because it's not tangible to someone else who cannot understand it, doesn't make it any lesser than physical pain. If I deem such pain as intolerable to the point that it reduces my quality of life to a meaningless existence, who are you or anyone else to judge? You either accept my judgment of my own life, which I state as an individual of sound mind, or you don't. That's really what it boils down to.

Life would go on after I'm gone. What if I were to become a burden to society when it gets to the point that I can no longer financially support myself? I have a mother, but she knows the deal. While she would be devastated, she has two other sons who are good looking and successful. I have told her endless times that she should have no guilt, but it is not fair or logical for me to trudge on just because I don't want to put my mother through my death. If the boot were on the other foot, I would actually respect her wishes. Deep down, I think she will actually understand. It's not as if the writing hasn't been on the wall for the longest time. I think the biggest problem that those left behind after a suicide is guilt. The best you can do is try to convince those you care about that they have no reason to feel guilty.

I don't want an individual to help me die. I want to be given the means to die peacefully and painlessly by a system that respects my wishes and the wishes of others like me. I am genuinely scared to use a shotgun because there is no guarantee and some poor soul will have to clean up the mess. Why should I have to go that way and risk failure and becoming a burden to others, which is actually one of the reasons why I want out (to avoid becoming a burden when I become too ill to financially support myself).

Old 01-23-2013, 07:18 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
In your scenario, the elder just continues to be abused. Who would want that?
Hopefully no one, but does that mean he/she should die instead?

Old 01-23-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
....it is MY life....and I should be able to choose how I want to live and how I want to die.
I don't disagree with you here..It is indeed YOUR life, and YOU can end it however and when YOU want to.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
You can define it however you will, but it doesn't change the fact that murder is illegal and wrong because you are violating someone else's right to live. You have taken away their choice in the matter. That's why it's illegal. You are violating someone else rights.

How hard is this to understand? If the person says "please, take my life. i'm tired of living," It's not murder. Legally, maybe, but morally and ethically? No! You're not taking away their choice in the matter.
Don't be mad because I think differently than you do Starman, it's obviously hard for you to understand what I think, as well...If killing someone is OK for a doctor, why not for a relative?, or a friend? I don't feel it's in societies best interest to give that kind of power to a doctor, a stranger.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
If killing someone is OK for a doctor, why not for a relative?, or a friend?
I don't feel it's in societies best interest to give that kind of power to a doctor, a stranger.
Not that the reasons haven't been clearly stated... but sure, lets do it again anyway:

1) Assessment of condition and circumstances by this objective and qualified 3rd party.
2) Professional prescriptions... for correct dosages and instruction in their use.
3) Access to pharmaceuticals that the general population shouldn't commonly have.
4) Consistent protocols in all these things.

At present, the law in most states limit the ability of Physicians to do these things.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:06 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,146,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Don't be mad because I think differently than you do Starman, it's obviously hard for you to understand what I think, as well...If killing someone is OK for a doctor, why not for a relative?, or a friend? I don't feel it's in societies best interest to give that kind of power to a doctor, a stranger.
Who says I'm mad? And I understand you're point of view... I really do.

What I am pointing out is your misguided definition of what actually constitutes murder. It's illegal because it violates a victim's right to choose whether to live or die. But if the "victim" is willing to have his/her life ended, then - ethically and/or morally - it can't be murder. Legally? In many states, yes.

And we already give doctors the right to kill patients. It's called 'lethal injection''. Of course, who else would you give this right to? I sure as hell wouldn't want that kind of memory on any loved one's conscious.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post

While I respect your opinion, I do not see this study as necessarily being legitimate since it is in a place that has a viewpoint to push.
Aren't we all trying to push our view-point Minervah?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates