Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,618,732 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Bingo!

There is a poster who calls themself an omnivore, but then proudly describes how she wants nothing to do with people who hunt. This is a wildly skewed view - to demand to hide the truths of how our food is produced away, and then bash those with the consistancy to take their own meat!

As long as my other options are plentiful, I won't eat cat or dog. There is no need. I would eat horse, have eaten game, no problem. But if the bottom fell out and my family was hungry? Stray stew.
I think to be honest the problem in the West with squeamishness is becoming far worse exactly because we have become so removed from our food source.

I actually think it would be a good idea for ALL kids ( too late for adults I fear) to visit farms and when older even abattoirs because this is the reality, a chicken nugget did at one point have a face , so did a Big Mac. It was a living, breating creature who felt pain and if we are going to eat them I believe it is only fair to experience the reality rather than be shielded from it and pretend that all is rosy and sweet.

Meat = Death. That is the unescapable truth.

I see nothing wrong with Hunting as long as it is done for meat because in the end it is far more humane than most modern meat production.

There are too many hypocrites who will decry hunting as barbaric whilst tucking in a cheap supermarket burger made from cattle reared in factory conditions and treated appallingly.

Better animal husbandry and more humane treatment, and transport is what should concern us as consumers. If we are willing to eat meat then whether it is kangaroo, cricket or bacon, it is simply that, meat. The flesh of a once living animal.

I hear so many people who would not eat Rabbit or Deer because they are so "cute" but happy to eat Pork , Cow or Lamb.... How silly is this ? Lambs are cute, so are Cows and so are Pigs.

I think being exposed to or forcing yourself to face the truth about meat might in fact encourage people to be more demanding when it comes to eating meat,making it a more humane process and would also lower our meat consumption.

I love meat, and am always very careful about provenance. It means I am willing to pay more for my meat but eat a lot less of it. I prefer to have higher quality meat which had a happier life seldom rather than factory meat personally.

We demand low cost meat and often could not care less about the actual cost to the animal which to me is not very nice.

And we expect others to do the dirty work and shield us from the actual facts. Let others do our killing for us and enjoy the rewards.... Whilst pointing at the finger at people who hunt for example. And let'sface it in an ideal world, hunting is the best , most natural way to obtain our protein quota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 07:26 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
If I had a dog and was starving, I'd try to use the dog to find food rather than eat the dog.

I agree, it's really just cultural. We in the US assign attributes of intelligence to various animals. We don't like killing creatures we believe have intelligence. There's no monkey meat or dolphin/porpoise steaks sold in supermarkets (dolphin fish is a different thing). We only buy meat from 'dumb' animals and big animals and those not considered domesticable pets.

Like a poster above noted, as a dog owner, I'd be very reluctant to eat dog. I probably could eat cat if it was served to me in a culture that typically ate cat. I've eaten horse in Italy, along with kangaroo, guinea pig, snake in other countries.

Couldn't do the eating monkey brain out of a skull thing though. Even the northern Chinese people I know think that's gross and suggest southern Chinese will eat anything that moves.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
Every culture has its limits, from a wide global or regional culture down to tribe and family culture.

My great-grandmother would pay my uncles a nickel to kill robins for her dinner. In her time (early 1900s) and location (western Pennsylvania coal town), this was perfectly acceptable.

Old 01-15-2013, 10:50 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,617,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
If I had a dog and was starving, I'd try to use the dog to find food rather than eat the dog.

I agree, it's really just cultural. We in the US assign attributes of intelligence to various animals. We don't like killing creatures we believe have intelligence. There's no monkey meat or dolphin/porpoise steaks sold in supermarkets (dolphin fish is a different thing). We only buy meat from 'dumb' animals and big animals and those not considered domesticable pets.

Like a poster above noted, as a dog owner, I'd be very reluctant to eat dog. I probably could eat cat if it was served to me in a culture that typically ate cat. I've eaten horse in Italy, along with kangaroo, guinea pig, snake in other countries.

Couldn't do the eating monkey brain out of a skull thing though. Even the northern Chinese people I know think that's gross and suggest southern Chinese will eat anything that moves.
I don't think intelligence has anything to do with it, not for us anyway. Pigs are pretty smart and I've had some really stupid dogs before. Oh, and I hate cats...if I could I'd eat them if they tasted good. I just hate cats, always have.

As far as pets, we've had cattle, pigs, and sheep that were as much a pet as our dog. But we knew what they were raised for and understood when it was time to put them down. Monkeys and dolphins are endangered species. If they thrived as well as cattle or pigs, they wouldn't be and would/could be raised as food in the areas they live. Not to say they aren't already.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:38 AM

708 posts, read 954,590 times
Meat = Death

Not only for animals. I had a pet broccoli once. It gave it's life so that I could enjoy it with a nice cheese sauce.

Old 01-15-2013, 01:39 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,122,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Duh....because some animals are tastier than others.
Is there any meat that really tastes bad?

Old 01-15-2013, 02:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,983,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
I guess if it's not prepared well. And I'm thinking specifically of the Bourdain episode with the bush people and the unwashed warthog anus.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_JZrjnwYmM&t=3m0s

I had a moose steak once. I won't be trying that again.

And what's the definition of 'meat'? Only muscle meat? I'm ok with many organs, but I had a spleen sandwich (vastedda) in Brooklyn a couple of years ago and I couldn't choke down more than two bites.

Not too big on fermented fish either (and just the idea of fermented blubber is a total gross out).

Last edited by sskink; 01-15-2013 at 02:35 PM..

Old 01-15-2013, 02:36 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,413,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Yes, I have heard that birds of prey tend to taste rather unpleasant. Some people are turned off by mutton or even lamb (they do taste 'grassy'), some people don't like most game because it tastes 'game-y', there are folks who dislike all seafood, some who are grossed out by shellfish but love filleted fish, others who hate turkey, some who can't even stand the smell of pork cooking.

It's no different than different veg*ns avoiding specific vegetables because they don't like the taste of certain cruciferous vegetables, certain legumes, etc. Taste is subjective.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,884,919 times
A lot of people think pigs are "dirty", but actually they're one of the few animals that will poop in one corner of the pen and sleep in another, IF they can. Cows on the other hand will poop and lay in it, they don't care.

Old 01-15-2013, 02:50 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,826,582 times
New, Delicious Species Discovered | The Onion - America's Finest News Source

Note - this site has some profanity, F words, etc. Hilarious, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates