Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 03:00 AM

319 posts, read 612,181 times

Advertisements

No Common Sense.

The Administrator used this as a way to make an example of the parents and make a name for herself. Or that's what she thought.

Blowback on this is great.

The overall issue comes back to what we allow our public employees to get away with.

This is our tax dollars at work here.

All of you "Anti Gunners", you can live in that world if you want to. But your ideology doesn't jive with the rest of the entire world. Guns, whether a bb-gun, machine gun or "ray" gun are part of our culture.

You would be better served teaching your kids than sheltering your kids from it.

If you choose to shelter, don't be a hypocrite, no video games, no tv, no books, no movies. Guns are everywhere. I would say raise your kids as buddist monks, but they have Kung fu, so whatcha going to do, violence is everywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
Default Bug man

Bug man makes a good point. Violence is everywhere from a household with a drunken abusive father to just about every video game ever written. Our, I must admit, feminized, education system is practicing the cruelest form of denial by trying to create a completely force and violence free environment. Making the school environment free of both violence and competition (another topic for another time) does the children a great disservice.

IMHO Schools should teach children how to prosper in real situations. This includes how to compete academically, socially and in sports. Denying competition in all these areas will only lead to children that will be devastated when they get tossed out into the "real” world. Instead of berating a five year old for mentioning a toy that blows bubbles they should be encouraging the child for getting along with her friends.

As logical outcome of my belief that reality training is best for all I think children should be taught some form of fighting at school (in the protective guise of a sport) when they get big enough to become bullies. The only thing that stops bullies is getting their asses kicked into next November by someone they tried to bully. Bullies are proto criminals that simply ignore school or any other authority so force (pain) is the only way to make them stop.

In addition to fighting skills, starting in Jr. HS, children should be introduced to self defense and competitive shooting skills. Guns do exist in our “real” society and children should be taught to be able to live with them and know what they are and how to use them. Ignoring the existence of guns will only bring harm to the children. Raising children to fear an imamate object will only get them terrified and eventually hurt if they ever encounter a criminal with a gun.

As I said at the beginning of this rant I believe our educational system should prepare children to become highly functional adults in the REAL WORLD not some fantasy land only populated with perfect people.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 AM

2,341 posts, read 3,496,320 times
Why would they do say ... have no type of guns or even talk about it in fun in school ?

My Personal Answer is :

All of the school and home shootings started with a thought in mind.

Child thinks its fun and tells another
Afew days later one of them uses their hand and points a finger at another and says bang.
A week later a small object is used to simulate a gun
then one of the comes to school with a squirt gun and this becomes fun
Now another child comes in with a cap gun, and now it looks more real

All of a sudden a child has no toy gun but finds a real gun
and does not understand the difference between real and a toy

Brings it to school and points at others just like the other children were doing
and starts shooting, but this gun is loaded with real bullets and it kills two children
and wounds 3 more children before someone can stop the child
who is having fun not realising they are not playing dead

IT'S FOR REAL ! ! !

And it all started from a thought that intered a Childs mind
and shares the fun thought with another small child ! ! !

It has happened more that once ! ! !

Old 01-22-2013, 08:35 AM

24,478 posts, read 17,220,223 times
I read the article for a third time after posting the link here and to make matters worse the bubble gun wasn't at school. The toy was at home and the girls were talking about it and one said to the other lets shoot each other with our bubble guns. !!!! WHAM instant terrorist threat. It's a good thing I'm not a kid today I used to draw these ellaborate war scenes with tanks and battle ships blowing the snot out of the bad guys. In todays world I would have been locked up due to psychological issues and put on watch for my mini Hitler like thoughts.
When I was a kid we played guns all the time. If a kid didn't have a replica he picked up a stick that looked like one. Some of us had cap guns, later on we had paintball guns. Today real guns. What about the generation before mine that had all those great western shows on TV like the Lone Ranger and Davy Crocket those guys used to carry guns and use them all the time on the bad guys. The "bad guys" are the key words here.
The Bill Clinton, Monica comment was meant to be an example of a starting point for all this politically correct crap that is engulfing us. It put the powers that be on a moral high horse and it has trickled down to the masses and I feel this 5 year old terrorist is an example of how ridiculous the PC USA has become.
I would recommend the NRA Eddie Eagle pay a visit ot this school to teach the kids and the teachers the difference between a real gun and a toy and how to respond if they should come across a real gun.
Unless we remove all traces of guns on TV and movies then kids will go on pretending to be the hero that shoots up the bad guys. I'd rather see them shooting toy guns at each other then throwing real rocks.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:09 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,187,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Think so?

Millions of boys grew up shooting each other playing Cowboys and a quick draw, or playing soldiers with toy rifles. They pointed at each other hundreds of time, all the while running around the back yard yelling "POW! POW! POW!"....or if they were really in high cotton, with caps!

Now why is counseling now needed and teaching the child never to point a toy at someone?
Because Then and Now are vastly different, and we need to keep this in mind.

I grew up in WW II and was dispatched every Saturday afternoon to the children's matinee. There were two types of fare: cowboy films and war films. One thing that was eminently clear back then was that Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, et al were so morally gosh-gee-whiz clean that they squeaked. As for the war films, while our guys may have been shown blasting dozens of the enemy to smithereens with a machine gun, these war propaganda films made it clear that this was a dirty job being done by our good guys against an enemy who was painted as totally and completely evil.

And the number of ordinary people commiting gratuitous violence against their neighbors was miniscule, and not obsessively chewed and regurgitated like a cow's cud.

The difference between good and bad was much more clear cut in this era, and the role models provided were stereotypes of this.

However, the entire zeitgeist of those times was vastly different than that we have now.

In our present society the need for personal justification and personal revenge is pervasive.and the thrill of violence is as acceptable as the thrill of a good boink. In films the "good guys" are virtually as bloodthirsty and mindlessly evil and the "bad guys." Arnold the Terminator is no Roy Rogers.

In entertainment guns are toys and killing is a game, just as sex is a casual pastime.

I ceased some time ago to be a fan of political correctness when NYS was worrying over renaming Hemingway's The Old Man and the Sea into to something assinine about seniority in order not offend people of my age.

That said, I do not feel that the attitudes and habits of the 1940's are remotely comparable to the American society of today. That America and its society is dead and gone, and the majority of us who lived in it are six feet under. I really don't know what one does about little girls with bubble guns - if anything. But given today's social mores I would be loathe to give a youngster a toy gun because the role models provided by the entertainment industry and the juvenile emotions that have replaced moral conduct among adults give thoroughly debauching lessons to children about the role of guns, killing, personal revenge, responsible conduct vs abject self-indulgence, etc.

The "bang-bang, you're dead" of 1943 isn't where it's at in 2013.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:52 AM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Why would they do say ... have no type of guns or even talk about it in fun in school ?

My Personal Answer is :

All of the school and home shootings started with a thought in mind.

Child thinks its fun and tells another
Afew days later one of them uses their hand and points a finger at another and says bang.
A week later a small object is used to simulate a gun
then one of the comes to school with a squirt gun and this becomes fun
Now another child comes in with a cap gun, and now it looks more real

All of a sudden a child has no toy gun but finds a real gun
and does not understand the difference between real and a toy

Brings it to school and points at others just like the other children were doing
and starts shooting, but this gun is loaded with real bullets and it kills two children
and wounds 3 more children before someone can stop the child
who is having fun not realising they are not playing dead

IT'S FOR REAL ! ! !

And it all started from a thought that intered a Childs mind
and shares the fun thought with another small child ! ! !

It has happened more that once ! ! !
There is absolutely nothing to indicate that this sequence of events preceded any shooting. It is pure conjecture on your part and you have no evidence of it whatsoever.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:17 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,927,723 times
OP - Back to your original question: "When will the insanity STOP in this country?" - Never.
Whatever you, I, or anyone else perceives as insane, most of it won't go away. That is just the way of the world. It's always something!

Last edited by geebabe; 01-22-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
There is absolutely nothing to indicate that this sequence of events preceded any shooting. It is pure conjecture on your part and you have no evidence of it whatsoever.
Can't help it if you don't get it ! ! !

Old 01-22-2013, 02:29 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,709,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
Can't help it if you don't get it ! ! !
Respectfully, it is not a matter of "getting it." It is a matter of proving it. You are running on pure emotion here. That's the insanity being discussed. What you laid out as a sequence of events leading to a shooting incident is pure fiction. How do you know this is what happens? Can you prove it? Can you demonstrate than anyone has any evidence whatsoever that this is what happens? You do not. You just "get it" based on your feelings.

I prefer to make decisions based on reason and on facts. I don't want our country to be driven by your fears and emotions.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
Respectfully, it is not a matter of "getting it." It is a matter of proving it. You are running on pure emotion here. That's the insanity being discussed. What you laid out as a sequence of events leading to a shooting incident is pure fiction. How do you know this is what happens? Can you prove it? Can you demonstrate than anyone has any evidence whatsoever that this is what happens? You do not. You just "get it" based on your feelings.

I prefer to make decisions based on reason and on facts. I don't want our country to be driven by your fears and emotions.
Just a few examples from the past.

I know of a young child with homemade bow and arrows
made out of small little sticks shot another childs eye ball out.

Another child shot in the neck with a pellet rifle while playing
cowboys fighting could have been in the ear and died.
That was dumb me that got shot in the neck ! ! !

Some Boys in the field wearing heavy coats turn there backs to
others who shot them in the back with buckshot from 12 gage shotguns

All done back in 1950's and 60's by school children who have a thought
all because one child say ... lets have some fun.

My wife just a couple of days ago stopped some boys
shooting each other in the head with arrows from home made bows
and the arrow did not have any rubber ends on them.

Today it is far worse ! ! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates