U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 12:44 PM

211 posts, read 128,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
My point is that everyone doesn't have the same definition of the term "black." In fact, it may not even be very much or at all relevant to the individuals to whom you are referring. You are attempting you classify Obama in a manner that your people do. To others, one may simply be either Luo or not. Kenyan or not. There is no octoroon and 1/8 black. For you, that's fine I suppose. Who is actually Arab may also be a completely different manner of classification. It seems that you are trying to convince me that your views of race and ethnicity should be mine. I'm asking you to actually explain them.
I think you're making a convenient excuse to justify the hypocrisy. George Bush with C's and D's was a dummy. John Kerry, Al Gore and Barry Soetoro with those very same C's and D's are brilliant and Barry even sends tingles through some people's legs.

With the economy the way it is and as many things as Barry has screwed up (Benghazi for one) can you imagine how the media would be hyperventilating if George Bush were President?

If you want to be equal, that means the same standards have to apply. You don't get a pass for being someone's pet.

Now back to the point. Black is generally defined as being African ... slave stock ... a negro. If you want to change it to suit your needs and pretend that a 7/8 non-black person is your messiah, feel free. I'm just pointing out that he is not very black by the standard definition.

Quote:
I don't care about George Zimmerman's heritage. Either he committed a crime or he did not. He very well may be a racist. As far as I'm concerned, the justice system was slack in handling the case and that's why it is what it is.
As I said, I'm not a big fan of encouraging people with authority complexes to play Sheriff on their own. The way I see it, when you put one moron with a gun together with a hoodrat with an entitlement mentality, sooner or later something bad is going to happen.

That's what happened here. All the hoodrat had to do is turn around and leave private property like most teens would ... but he kind of had some kind of "whitey can't make me" chip on his shoulder. Likewise, Zimmerman was probably one of these power freaks who wanted to play policeman. Explosive mix.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:53 PM

5,548 posts, read 8,235,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzyteBob View Post
I think you're making a convenient excuse to justify the hypocrisy. George Bush with C's and D's was a dummy. John Kerry, Al Gore and Barry Soetoro with those very same C's and D's are brilliant and Barry even sends tingles through some people's legs.

With the economy the way it is and as many things as Barry has screwed up (Benghazi for one) can you imagine how the media would be hyperventilating if George Bush were President?

If you want to be equal, that means the same standards have to apply. You don't get a pass for being someone's pet.

Now back to the point. Black is generally defined as being African ... slave stock ... a negro. If you want to change it to suit your needs and pretend that a 7/8 non-black person is your messiah, feel free. I'm just pointing out that he is not very black by the standard definition.

As I said, I'm not a big fan of encouraging people with authority complexes to play Sheriff on their own. The way I see it, when you put one moron with a gun together with a hoodrat with an entitlement mentality, sooner or later something bad is going to happen.

That's what happened here. All the hoodrat had to do is turn around and leave private property like most teens would ... but he kind of had some kind of "whitey can't make me" chip on his shoulder. Likewise, Zimmerman was probably one of these power freaks who wanted to play policeman. Explosive mix.
One thing you're definitely right about is the danger of double standards, whichever way they flow.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:54 PM

6 posts, read 5,276 times
I am starting college soon, and i have been to black majority schools. For the most part there were some good black women that were respectable.Although the majority of them were loud and had attitude problems. I have never dated any nor do i want to, but that applies to women in general, not just blacks.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:03 PM

211 posts, read 128,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
One thing you're definitely right about is the danger of double standards, whichever way they flow.
I realize this is way off topic, but we hit an economic wall in 2007. It is very disturbing to me that after getting that close to economic collapse that NOBODY is serious about fixing the problems in this country. Everybody just wants to continue to party while believing someone's slogans.

Or as someone in the media put it so brilliantly, Michael Jackson and Burt Reynolds (who both filed bankruptcy) didn't have a money problem, they had a spending problem.

That's why I'm a big fan of laying everything out there and being real. It's the only way people are going to understand that there's no free lunch.

It works just as well with race relations and that's why I'm being honest about why I wouldn't touch a black woman with a 10 foot pole ... and why my parents (and I'm still scared of them in middle age) would shoot me if I did, as I would my own kids. I have nothing against blacks as people, but all the other baggage they bring to the table.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM

121 posts, read 100,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In real life, I would never engage in this conversation. Ever. But this forum provides the opportunity to express feelings that one simply can not (or choose not) to do in real life.

It is really hard to have men say the most vile, disgusting things about me, my cousins, mother, aunts, friends based solely on the fact that we are Black women....and say absolutely nothing. We are constantly attacked and at a certain point a person feels compelled to defend.

Bolded= emphasis mine.

Welcome to the party. This is what the white heterosexual male has been putting up with since 1970.

Can I pour you a drink?

Old 01-26-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armacombat View Post
I am starting college soon, and i have been to black majority schools. For the most part there were some good black women that were respectable.Although the majority of them were loud and had attitude problems. I have never dated any nor do i want to, but that applies to women in general, not just blacks.
I've known a lot of good black women. Black people are so saddled with negative stereotypes from the types who appear on Jerry Springer-type shows.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 PM

6,976 posts, read 2,078,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzyteBob View Post

Nope. That's your cultural understanding. In fact, so is the idea of race. Africans are Africans, whether there ancestors are slaves are not. "Black" is a term certain Europeans came up with to classify people since they are were too ignorant to learn about their ethnic/cultural differences. It also suited their particular purposes to do so. There is no 7/8 non-black because really, no one is black. You either belong to a certain ethnicity or you do not. As far as I'm concerned, Obama is half Kenyan, particularly Luo. Not half black. An African-American is such, not black. A Nigerian is such, not black. Beyond that, he or she is Igbo/Yoruba/Ibibio etc. There is no country called "black." You and others try to use "black" in the same manner as those of old because refuse to learn the diversity of different peoples.

Are you dillusional? Who is talking about Bush? Is he your messiah or something? To me, Obama is an American of European and African descent, broadly speaking.

Quote:

Sure is an explosive mix. Plain and simple. If Zimmerman committed a crime, he should be in jail. Many of you white Americans did just what many black Americans did with the case, and let your racial baggage get in the way of the situation. The child was in his father's neighborhood. He wasn't bothering anyone and should have been left alone. Zimmerman's sense of entitlement mentality is what got him in trouble. Not sure why this case was even that serious. In plenty of places, he likely would have been in jail. But even you can't seem to let go of the "race" of the person. And I thought Zimmerman isn't "white?" I don't know how you people go about defining your color labels anyway. Seems convenient to me.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 PM

6,976 posts, read 2,078,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houston1963 View Post
[/b]

Bolded= emphasis mine.

Welcome to the party. This is what the white heterosexual male has been putting up with since 1970.

Can I pour you a drink?
Awwwwww...since the 1970s. Pobrecitos. I'm sure other groups have been enduring that for far longer in the US of A. But they dare not say anything about it...

Old 01-26-2013, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Awwwwww...since the 1970s. Pobrecitos. I'm sure other groups have been enduring that for far longer in the US of A. But they dare not say anything about it...
To be fair though, I don't think the goal should be to expand out discrimination, treating people poorly, etc. I also have to laugh at "they dare not say anything about it." We hear about little else these days.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:11 PM

449 posts, read 707,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
In real life, I would never engage in this conversation. Ever. But this forum provides the opportunity to express feelings that one simply can not (or choose not) to do in real life.

It is really hard to have men say the most vile, disgusting things about me, my cousins, mother, aunts, friends based solely on the fact that we are Black women....and say absolutely nothing. We are constantly attacked and at a certain point a person feels compelled to defend.
Who started this thread? I'm puzzled too by this obsession with black women's romantic lives. If you don't want to date black women then you don't have to. You don't need a reason or an excuse or list all the ways black women are terrible. If you like to date black women and notice other men may not or whatever, you are still free to continue dating black women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or