Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2013, 03:46 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,711,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicali01 View Post
Do you realize where you live??!!! America has an extraordinary high incarceration rate; the highest in the world; and they're building more prisons. Who do you think these prisons are for?
Criminals.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:02 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,258,082 times
My question is why are other races so obsessed with discussing black people????

Old 01-25-2013, 04:19 PM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
That is a very good question to ask. One, I may add, we may not get an answer to.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,028,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingatlanta View Post
We're either the stuff of their nightmares, dreams or fantasies.

Without blacks, they would literally have NOTHING to talk about.

Well, I guess the Native American and everything they're doing on the reservations would be the talk of the town for sure.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:30 PM

2,691 posts, read 4,330,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter002 View Post
Not true, that does include West Indians. I know plenty who speak bad about African Americans. But they respect those who work hard to make it in respectful professions.
I think you've misread my statement. Africans, have disdain for African Americans- again speaking with gross generalizations. Afro Caribbeans are not African Americans and I do see a difference in the overall social standing (I'm talking economically, educationally and just general ethics for hard work) of Afro Caribs vs Afro Americans. I've had this discussion with my friends and our conclusion is that AAs are one of the only black populations that exist in a society where they are not only at the bottom of the social hierarchy but also do not have many positive representations of blacks to help mentally uplift them. So for example, you might be poor in Trinidad but your teacher is black, the doctors are black, the law enforcement is black, the judges and lawyers are black, the engineers are black, all the politicians are black, and the rich people are also black.

In the US, the majority of successful blacks (portrayed in popular media) are musicians or athletes- yes I know Obama and Michele are black but that is not the norm for what you see when it comes to successful blacks- and the odds of some kid becoming the next jay z or Michael Jordan are slim. So, when these immigrants from Africa or the Caribbean come to the US, they have a benchmark from back home of achievable success and know that "I can become a doctor" because they have seen plenty of successful, educated, blacks in their own country. What limited them in their country from raising their social standing is not a barrier in America. In the US, education is free and mandatory for all kids and a education is one of the only guaranteed ways you can raise your social and economic standing. You might be the son of an African/Caribbean immigrant cab driver living in the ghetto, but I can assure you, the directive from that kid's Nigerian, Ethiopian, or Kenyan parent is "study, get good grades, go to college and become a doctor". Even if you are in the most horrific of school districts, if you can get past the negativity, you can do well, graduate, and move on to college. No one is saying you have to go to Harvard to make it, but there's nothing wrong with going to a city college and becoming a nurse, it's a good career with good pay (I know a few Caribbean nurses, that's why I used it as an example).

Of my social network in undergrad, the breakdown of backgrounds was by far and large, kids of African or Caribbean immigrants. The ones that were actually just plain old black, were largely from long standing "black money" or their parents had already achieved upper middle class status and had grown up in that lifestyle. There was only one woman that I can think of that actually came from "the hood" or whatever. The kicker with her is that her cousins hate on her because she's doing something with her life! She went to one of the top universities in the US, she has a masters degree, she's married (with a proper wedding), she bought a house, and she did not get pregnant/have a kid out of wedlock. It's sad that they would look down on her for doing something positive with her life.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:34 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,635,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Throughout the WORLD you mean.

It's ashame, because you can tell who actually HAS black friends (real friends not associates) and who doesn't.
This is true. I find non-black people who have an ASSORTMENT of black friends to be the realest. I run into a couple that have one or two and they think that those friends speak and set the tone for everything that is and isn't black. Hate that.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:35 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
And by the way, do you seriously think that Black men going to Brazil to patroinze the Brazilian sex trade workers (in the same way that many white Western men go to Thailand) is supposed to be an attractive, noble thing.
just want to point out that westerners make up a very smaller percentage of sex travellers in thailand. MAYBE 5%. also, the majority of westerners are westernized asians. also, there are possibly more american black than american white sex tourists in southeast asia. american whites just have too many sexual hang ups on average and are a lot less likely to sleep with a sex worker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I actually find it rather funny that people are going to another country to get their jones on. Ah, the odor of desperation!
what's desperate about it? most do it cuz they enjoy it.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Nope, the rest of the world does not have a negative fixation on "blackness" or Black women for the most part. This becomes abundantly clear when traveling outside of the US as a Black woman.

I wish that more Black American women would travel outside of the US so that they would get a broader perspective of how we are viewed internationally instead of seeing ourselves through the twisted prism of hatred that is purely American grown. I truly believe that the overall standards of many Black women would be raised instantaneously by traveling abroad.
I don't know about this...in other countries they are really into Black Americans but if you read and watch the news you will see they treat blacks in their countries no different. Also, once they come to America they forget all the things that mesmerized them about us from afar via the media and stuff and are overcome by a great dose of paranoia and contempt. I noticed in France that they really took a liking to me but when they get here it changes.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Don't confuse honesty with racism
just because it's honest doesn't make it any less racist...LOL! That's a hilarious excuse..."I'm not being racist, just being honest" what you mean is it isn't intentional racism. It's unintentional, doesn't make it any less offensive. Reminds me of my boss who says some rude crap and when people call him out on it, he says, "It wasn't my intention, i was just being honest!"

Old 01-25-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Of course some people blame racism. People always tries to find someone to blame.

The actual reason is this
  • 55% of black women are obese, only 20% are at a healthy weight. Among Asian Americans, 75% are at a healthy weight and only 10% are obese. Obesity is not attractive.
  • 20% of black women have college degree, and too many of them are in the liberal arts. It is often hard to have an intellectually stimulating conversation with many black women.
  • Black women earn the least of all groups in america and that is not because they receive much lower wage if they work full time. It is because so many black women do not work.
  • Black women have more uncommitted sex than other groups.
  • Black women generally do not take the initiative to date outside their race, and they seldom go for the more quiet guy.
  • Many black women do not take care of their husband or themselves and are hard to deal with in a relationship.
I am not saying this because I have anything against black women, but I am just pointing out that a lot, (but not all) have unfavorable qualities. The real reason black women have a tougher time dating is because they do not provide the qualities men want. It's not about racism.

Good looking black women who take care of their boyfriend/husband have no problem with finding a husband.
^^^This is what a lot of the people the OP was talking about think. They use these numbers to generalize and project instead of just judging each individual. This was probably the most overly analytical and racist post I've seen on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates