Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 PM

723 posts, read 2,192,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
As it has been stated, the OP is probably black.
So what? Why did she have to make it painfully obvious that she was a black woman married to a white guy.

Quote:
Also, what are your solutions to this problem or are you only "stirring the pot" against the OP.
I didn't start the thread, so i'm not required to give evidence.
But since i'm so kind, i'll say it anyway. Address the Socioeconomic factors facing the black community and stress the benefit of marriage; I already mentioned a few findings in post #4 :
Quote:
Findings: Marriage Attitudes and Expectations
*Most of the new mothers and fathers who were in committed relationships wanted to get married to their partner at some time.
*Most of the new mothers and fathers thought that it was important to get married to someone in the future.
*Although most mothers and fathers wanted to get married some day, most were skeptical about the institution of marriage and the benefits of being married.
*Most of the mothers and fathers believed that cohabitating produced the same benefits as marriage and that single mothers could raise a child as well as a married couple.
*Few of the mothers and fathers had positive views about other partners who might potentially be available in the marriage market.
*Although mothers regarded marriage as having little or no benefits for themselves, they believed that children were better off if the father was in the home and the parents were married.
*Most of the mothers and fathers believed that financial security was an important factor in relationships and marriage.
*Many couples stated that financial concerns and related problems were a major reason why they were not married.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:51 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,972 times
Men who can't work, cannot find work, are not trained to work, not brought up to work are not likely to make good husbands and fathers. The black community suffers from lack of whole families. But guess what, if the black folks are not marrying, then the 50% divorce rate must be mostly white which also devastates families and hurts children. We are in a culture of the bizarre as opposed to the tradition of whole families. I do not expect this to get better and I fully expect our culture and society to utterly collapse.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:00 PM

665 posts, read 1,243,298 times
its economics when manufacturing jobs start leaving the citites this left alot of black men withouth
employment oppurtunities, thus reducing the amount of stable blackmen who were avaliable avaliable for marriage.
Now hispanic and whitemen in small towns are starting to see the construction and factory jobs go away which is why
they are seeing higher out of wedlock rates. blk birthrates have peaked white and hispanics are rising,also the war on drugs unfairly targets black men. Black men make up 7% of drug users and 30% of drug sellers but make up 65% of arrest, this takes black dudes out of the marriage pool and make unemployable and thus not marriage material

plus cohabitation is not always bad in France and Canada most white people cohabit-ate,and this does not lead to dysfunction. The divorce rate is 53% so who gets married and who doesnt is not that important anymore.

thank god I added logic to this thread.
Moderator close thread I ended the debate

Old 01-30-2013, 04:37 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,685,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenfield View Post
This

would indicate that the OP is a black woman married to a white man.
Well her other threads claimed she was white with biracial kids but hey maybe she's black today

Old 01-30-2013, 05:16 PM

93,173 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie1946 View Post
Men who can't work, cannot find work, are not trained to work, not brought up to work are not likely to make good husbands and fathers. The black community suffers from lack of whole families. But guess what, if the black folks are not marrying, then the 50% divorce rate must be mostly white which also devastates families and hurts children. We are in a culture of the bizarre as opposed to the tradition of whole families. I do not expect this to get better and I fully expect our culture and society to utterly collapse.
My thoughts exactly and in turn, being born in wedlock today doesn't guarantee that the child won't be in a single parent home, sooner or later.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:53 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,212,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
No one can force a man out of the home,just saying. He just wanted to leave.
If that's the case,what about whites? Why did it not force them out of the home? Same with hispanics.

I think the most important thing that resulted in more black female heads of household is integration.
A great many men of all color and race did leave their homes when welfare was first instituted. It was a matter of survival which we don't understand completely today.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:57 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,984,459 times
Quote:
As it has been stated, the OP is probably black. Also, what are your solutions to this problem or are you only "stirring the pot" against the OP.
Well do you have any solutions? I mean, this question can be asked to everyone who posed this question on the OP's topic of choice.

Personally, I have chosen to actually do something about it. I currently work with a non-profit that helps underprivileged minorities in a major metropolitan area, in school for children and their parents also. I'm trying to make a difference in my community anyway that I can.

But yes, why would the OP bring this up and then not have a solution. It's basically just a "bash" at single black mothers.

And why hasn't she contributed to the post?

Old 01-30-2013, 06:07 PM

188 posts, read 406,057 times
I have this new thing when ever someone asks as "Why do Black people do this " type question... I ask them what class of Black people are you referring to? Interestingly enough I find that most people tend to focus more on poor, working, and lower class Black people when asking these questions. I think the problem may be that people continue to view Black people as one group who does everything the same... But we don't. I don't have numbers, but Im willing to bet, if research was done on marriage rates specifically in middle class, upper middle class, and even among Elite Black Americans (not including entertainers and athletes who were once disadvantaged prior to the big break) the trend will be different.

Class is proving to be a more influential factor when relating to many things, as it relates to Black people and people in general....

Old 01-30-2013, 07:18 PM

1,559 posts, read 2,369,696 times
I know several couples of every color who choose not to legally wed even though they live together, have kids, and call each other their spouse. Reason being is if the mom is "single" and has a low income, they benefit from medicaid for the kids, free daycare, food stamps, etc. Dad works and may make too much for any government entitlement. It's a complete scam of the system. Happens all the time.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,705,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
Well her other threads claimed she was white with biracial kids but hey maybe she's black today
Yeah, I see now that she's claimed to be half Mexican half white and that the father of her kids is black. I dunno what's up here with the white hubby stuff. Maybe half Mexican is " chocolate" to her?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates