Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,318,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latina7 View Post
The Black community does not respect marriage, because culturally, this has been the way it is for generations. The sad part of it is that a father is a very important factor in the life of any child, but more so for a male one, because the identity of the child is fused through the father, and will determine what he becomes, later in life.

This children grow up with single mothers, who expose them to several boyfriends, and this confuses the child.
One has only to visit one of the ghettos in a big city to see the devastation that this has created. Most of these children have no value system, no motivation, no guidance, and no discipline. Which are the most fundamental issues in raising a child. By age 16, all they have learned is how to point a gun at someone's head. Of course, not every child has this fate, but a good 90 percent of them do, and most wind up in the penitentiary, before the age of 20.
Thank you for explaining the reason why the black community is in shambles, because the "Black community does not respect marriage" Did you come to that conclusion all by yourself from what you seen or was it from some else telling you this? How would you feel if I gave a blanket statement that "Latinos cannot understand the concept of birth control" It obiviously does not hold true for all Latinos and nor does your statement regarding blacks.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
In 1998, the Fragile Families Study looked at 3,700 low-income unmarried couples in 20 U.S. cities. The authors found that nine in 10 of the couples living together wanted to tie the knot, but only 15 percent had actually done so by the end of the one-year study period.

Yet here’s a key finding: for every dollar a man’s hourly wages increased, the odds that he’d get hitched by the end of the year rose by 5 percent. Men earning more than $25,000 during the year had twice the marriage rates of those making less than $25,000. Writing up the findings for the Nation, Sharon Lerner noted that poverty “also seems to make people feel less entitled to marry.”
Why Conservatives Wrongly Blame Single Moms for the Disastrous Failures of the Right-Wing Economic Model | Alternet

Old 01-31-2013, 06:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 1,621,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Okay. So how do you know this? Is that factual-based evidence or more opinion based. And you're not Black judging by your handle.

Can you please provide some facts to this information you have provided, which I honestly do believe is quite biased.

Did you notice that the hispanic community was mentioned as well? Why do you have nothing to say about that?

And FYI, 90% of them don't. That is a majority of the population. Which makes that quite impossible.
The information I have provided comes from observation and experience. I did not include the Hispanics because the thread is about the Blacks, but this is my observation about Hispanics: Usually when immigrants come to the USA, legal or not, due to poverty, 90 percent of the time they end up living side by side with the Black population in cities such as New Jersey, and New York City, and the Hispanics copy the behavior of the Blacks. mainly because they are Americans, and this behavior is being perpetrated by American people, so, it must be the right way to behave.......once their behavior changes, they comport themselves just like the Blacks, and they become "ghettorized, but still the percentage is way below the Blacks, and the amount of them that end of in jail, is much lesser.

Most of the Hispanics that come to the USA, with the exception of the San Salvadorians, have been good people in their countries, until they pick up bad behaviors here. Many of the San Salvadorians were convicts from jails in El Salvador, before they were sent here by their own government.

I am only going to speak about NYC and NJ: The ghettos in those two states make Detroit and Flint, Michigan look like Rodeo Drive in California. 90% of the violent crimes committed in those two states are perpetrated by Blacks, and most of my comments come from first-hand observations of the people living on those communities, from the myriad of newspapers I read daily from both states, and from the local news.

I am aware that many Blacks may be doing much better in other states, but I can only speak by my own experiences and observations on a daily basis....

Old 01-31-2013, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Thank you for explaining the reason why the black community is in shambles, because the "Black community does not respect marriage" Did you come to that conclusion all by yourself from what you seen or was it from some else telling you this? How would you feel if I gave a blanket statement that "Latinos cannot understand the concept of birth control" It obiviously does not hold true for all Latinos and nor does your statement regarding blacks.
Please, allow me to educate you: Regarding your statement, "Latinos cannot understand the concept of birth control," you seem to forget that ALL the Hispanics that come to the USA , from about 24 countries,
come from deeply religious families where Catholicism is a very strong key factor. And until the Catholic Church changes its views about birth control, it will continue to be the same.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Usually when immigrants come to the USA, legal or not, due to poverty, 90 percent of the time they end up living side by side with the Black population in cities such as New Jersey, and New York City, and the Hispanics copy the behavior of the Blacks.

Now it's black folks who are leading our poor Latino brothers and sisters astray.

Only on fraking C-D!

Quote:
Most of the Hispanics that come to the USA, with the exception of the San Salvadorians, have been good people in their countries, until they pick up bad behaviors here. Many of the San Salvadorians were convicts from jails in El Salvador, before they were sent here by their own government.
Yes we are the good Hispanics not like those evil Salvadorians...

Quote:
I am only going to speak about NYC and NJ:
Diles mi hermana, no Latin Kings en la isla norte! No DDP! Please my sister try that pendejadas on a hicks only websites, not on someone who hung tough on the E 167th.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
The information I have provided comes from observation and experience. I did not include the Hispanics because the thread is about the Blacks, but this is my observation about Hispanics: Usually when immigrants come to the USA, legal or not, due to poverty, 90 percent of the time they end up living side by side with the Black population in cities such as New Jersey, and New York City, and the Hispanics copy the behavior of the Blacks. mainly because they are Americans, and this behavior is being perpetrated by American people, so, it must be the right way to behave.......once their behavior changes, they comport themselves just like the Blacks, and they become "ghettorized, but still the percentage is way below the Blacks, and the amount of them that end of in jail, is much lesser.

I am only going to speak about NYC and NJ: The ghettos in those two states make Detroit and Flint, Michigan look like Rodeo Drive in California. 90% of the violent crimes committed in those two states are perpetrated by Blacks, and most of my comments come from first-hand observations of the people living on those communities, from the myriad of newspapers I read daily from both states, and from the local news.

I am aware that many Blacks may be doing much better in other states, but I can only speak by my own experiences and observations on a daily basis....
Not sure if you read my post, but here it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
The article states that 73% percent of births are to single mothers, not 80%. It is interesting to note that African immigrants almost always marry & have children within wedlock. Every time you turn around Africans - Nigerians, Ethiopians, Ghanaians, Sudanese - are having a wedding. In fact, the out-of-wedlock birth rate for Africans & other African descended immigrants is 39%. Interestingly, for Hispanic immigrants, the out of wedlock birth rate is 42%

African descendants in general have a different experience in terms of marriage and family structures than many of their African counterparts. Their marital traditions have been broken down over the generations and not enough has been done to build them up again. Compare the out-of wedlock statistic in question with that of Nigeria which is only 6%. Even among African descended populations in the Americas, the out of wedlock birth rates can be extremely high, but common law situations are more common & accepted. Thus children may still grow up with their father or a male figure in their family close by. In the U.S., "Black" American families tend to be more spread out, so growing up without a father or male figure is probably more common.

Not sure why some intend on comparing "Black" Americans & Hispanics because when one looks at Hispanic nations on a whole, there are varying out-of-wedlock birth rates. 73% in El Salvador, 63% in the Dominican Republic, 74% in Colombia and 65% in Puerto Rico.

It's just sad overall. I do hope the families across the U.S. and across the Americas do better in the coming years. Children are suffering...

Old 01-31-2013, 08:04 PM

723 posts, read 2,193,324 times
Quote:

wow.

Your saying that these 'ghettorized' blacks have enough the willpower and knowledge to indoctrine hispanics to a life of rachetness? These are the same blacks who you say hate marriage but they spend all their time volunteering with hispanics to make them think and act just like them right? You seriously believe they look up to blacks and aspire to be like them?

I mean wow. These insights are incredible. Please, keep um coming.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM

9,007 posts, read 13,836,307 times
Ok,I had to backtrack a bit.
Sweden and Norway,among other countries in Europe,have high out of wedlock birthrates.
Cohabitaion isn't looked at as bad as it is over here.

Maybe the Usa needs to stop looking at cohabitation as bad?
Maybe we should encourage civil unions for cohabitating couples?

What's the difference between a cohabitating couple and a married one?

Someone mentioned Africa,and that they always get married.
that's true in the Usa,however,if so many AFRICANS AND caribbeans were loyal to their partners,why is the Aids rate so high in those countries?

If you want to compare African Americans to Caribbeans,compare them with the origin of country,not am immigrant group.
Compare say,Hatians in Haiti to African Americans.
Everything then evens out. Statistics almost always mirror each other.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:00 PM

2,569 posts, read 7,742,175 times
Quote:

So how would explain this sort of behavior on the part of Hispanics in cities where this is not true? In cities, say, in the South and Southwest with high percentages of Hispanics who come to the US and live side by side with other Hispanics? Cities where the black population is low? Or where blacks live very separately from Hispanics? In those cases, where you have statistics like these, who are they copying??

Later on you mention Catholicism but you cannot blame Catholicism for things like teen pregnancy rates. It would explain high birth rates among married couples but where is there room to blame religion for 15 year olds having babies? If religion were such a huge factor culturally then there would be a bunch of married couples with a whole lot of kids, not a bunch of unmarried young women with babies.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribdoll View Post
Not sure if you read my post, but here it is...
I would probably will get into trouble again, but, I must speak what it is on my mind: One of my observations throughout the years have been that African-Americans from many parts of the world, as well as the Caribbean
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Great Debates